Brittania docking late tomorrow

hansol1966

Just think about the number of times this has happened.  Very few.  I have done about 20 cruises.  Only once delayed on Oriana for a day getting home.  They gave us free vouchers for Wifi, paid all out of pocket expenses.  This is only a few hours.

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just think about the number of times this has happened.  Very few.  I have done about 20 cruises.  Only once delayed on Oriana for a day getting home.  They gave us free vouchers for Wifi, paid all out of pocket expenses.  This is only a few hours.

It may be 'only a few hours' to someone sitting at home by a keyboard, but I doubt it feels quite so trivial if you're actually at the sharp end. This is supposed to be a holiday, after all.

I would imagine that P&O will up their initial £20 if things carry on like this, particularly if it proves to be the result of negligence on their part, and I'm afraid compensation is just a fact of life. P&O would seek compensation from anyone who let them down, and it cuts both ways.

A delay like this on an aircraft, as others have pointed out, would involve hundreds of pounds per passenger.

30 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

No it's not you.  I never heard such a fuss about a few hours delay.

A few hours delay that could mean people have missed their flight or train home (even if they left a safe margin of time), in these circumstances we would have as we tend to fly down for shorter cruises. Will P&O be making arrangements for those effectively stranded in Southampton with no flight, I doubt it so there is occasion for some annoyance  and “fuss” depending on individual circumstances.

Also a lousy start to the holiday for those arriving and as others have said airlines have to pay out in these circumstances so why not cruise ships. Pax have lost quite a percentage of their first day.

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Negligence?  I believe it was mechanical?

Mechanical and negligence can quite easily sit together, and frequently do.

I'm not saying there was negligence, because we don't know the facts, and we probably never will, but if, for example, the mechanical breakdown was reasonably foreseeable (poor maintenance, for example, or a poor repair) there would be negligence.

It makes no real difference, though, or shouldn't.  The plain fact is that two lots of passengers have been seriously inconvenienced.  The way they're dealt with by P&O will determine the way they feel about P&O in the future, and that's important. Companies that are generous in dealing with issues like this keep customers happy - and returning.

As I said when we were delayed arriving, yes they paid out of pocket expenses.  We were 24 hours delayed.  Free WIFI to let family know or make transport arrangements.  They even paid for an extra night for my dogs in kennels.  They paid for my friends coach journey that she couldn't use and also for a new ticket.  But to those arriving, they are not out of pocket - YET.  They may have had to buy their own lunch - heaven forbid.  Let's wait and see when she departs.

Edited by jeanlyon

11 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

Captain has 24 hours to do a muster.

I thought that they now had to do the full muster before they sailed (after the Concordia).

Anyone know for a fact what the current situation re musters is?

I really feel for everyone involved and hope they can still have a great holiday or get home without too much extra stress.

Its no use stressing now, just try to make the most of the rest of your cruise and deal with P&O when you return.

Unfortunately, these things do happen.

Andy

Currently sat in queue to park with CPS, been told there are 700 cars waiting to be parked!! That’s even before we get into the terminal to see what awaits us there. 

As this is a 7 day cruise I would expect a refund of a days cost. No lunch, no evening meal . At the rate we’re going will be lucky to  get on by 10pm. 

It's looking worse I admit.  Shall follow your progress.  First port is Cherbourg, so that shouldn't cause a prob lem.  Should be there on time.  It's only 120 miles. so at 20 knots that's 6 hours.

Edited by jeanlyon

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

As I said when we were delayed arriving, yes they paid out of pocket expenses.  We were 24 hours delayed.  Free WIFI to let family know or make transport arrangements.  They even paid for an extra night for my dogs in kennels.  They paid for my friends coach journey that she couldn't use and also for a new ticket.  But to those arriving, they are not out of pocket - YET.  They may have had to buy their own lunch - heaven forbid.  Let's wait and see when she departs.

Yes they may pay out of pocket expenses, eventually, but meantime those potentially stranded a very long way from home have to try to make all the arrangements (and not all passengers may be able to afford to pay out for hotel rooms and new flight tickets and then wait for a refund).

Those arriving are out of pocket, they paid to be on a cruise ship, not stuck in a que to park a car.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

I presume they started boarding around 5pm?  Maybe for coaches and others not parking?

Don’t think so. It was only 15.00 when she tied up. Not many people posting that they have boarded. There are coaches stuck in traffic and the traffic is very heavy in Southampton 

Everybody stressing about getting on, has anybody worried whether the problem has been fixed???

I am sure there will be further compensation, but until they know the full extent, how can they put a figure on it?

Passengers were asking for hundreds of pounds yesterday when they were told they would board a few hours late, imagine how much they would want now!!

Andy

16 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Everybody stressing about getting on, has anybody worried whether the problem has been fixed???

I am sure there will be further compensation, but until they know the full extent, how can they put a figure on it?

Passengers were asking for hundreds of pounds yesterday when they were told they would board a few hours late, imagine how much they would want now!!

Andy

I think we all just assume that they will not leave port if there is an issue. P&O safety conscious and would not endanger passengers.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:34 PM, terrierjohn said:

What happens with coach passengers, will they also be delayed.

The coaches leave at normal time. Oriana was delayed until  2.30pm once. We visited almost every services from Newcastle to Southampton! The driver wanted to take us for a visit somewhere but he wasn't allowed.

We've also been delayed returning home and P&O did everything they could to re-book trains, planes etc. for passengers.

Came off Britannia today at 3pm as self disembark.

At least you are getting some compensation, we are travelling to Aberdeen and have had to book a Premier Inn with dinner & breakfast to avoid driving until 3 am.

About £150 out of pocket, with nothing from P&O.

Annoying, as we were also late with embarkation last week by 2 hours, probably due to same faults.

great cruise though, just spoiled by the above.

46 minutes ago, thornegirl said:

Currently sat in queue to park with CPS, been told there are 700 cars waiting to be parked!! That’s even before we get into the terminal to see what awaits us there. 

As this is a 7 day cruise I would expect a refund of a days cost. No lunch, no evening meal . At the rate we’re going will be lucky to  get on by 10pm. 

Oh dear. Sounds absolutely horrendous. What if people need the loo? Have to say we switched away from CPS having sat in holding queues a few too many times , and that was arriving early and when arrivals were evenly phased over around 4 hours. I guess that today everyone was already there waiting when they started. I think you will find that, once you have dropped off the car, your progress through the terminal will be very rapid....but do let us know. Good luck. 

58 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I thought that they now had to do the full muster before they sailed (after the Concordia).

Anyone know for a fact what the current situation re musters is?

https://www.rina.org.uk/muster-drill.html

The cruise industry have adopted the mandatory drill for embarking passengers before departure.  Para #3.  Otherwise it's 24 hours.

• Thanks 1

We just got off today as well. No problem for us as we live in Southampton, but we were pretty annoyed to be two hours late boarding last week, so I really feel for those delayed starting their cruise today. 

For us we got an extra lie in this morning, time on the balcony in the sun and the early afternoon in the Glass House, albeit they weren’t serving food. We had priority disembarkation and were off the ship by 4. I really felt for the poor crew, who were all remarkably good humoured given the circumstances! 

Take That were wreaking additional havoc with the traffic, but again, I can’t really complain as we are going to see them tomorrow night! 

Fingers crossed next next time we cruise there will be no delays either end. I gather we were quite unlucky. 

Still in the queue 1.45 hours, just not moving at all. What is annoying is that taxis, other parking operators are going straight through, its CPS parking that’s delayed. Won’t be using them again, we’ve been with parking 4 cruises before with no problems at all. 

Waiters from the ship are handing out bottles of water to people in the cars now . 

Lots of tooting of car horns now everybody getting impatient.