Brittania docking late tomorrow

hansol1966

Onboard Brittania now due In Southampton tomorrow just told by the captain we won’t be docking till two o’clock pm ....After an unscheduled emergency announcement eleven o’clock last night to the fire crew of a suspected fire on deck 4 zone ? I missed that. After half an hour he came on again and told us not to worry and the teams were stood down. Further today at 3 o’clock pm we were told about the arrival delay due to steam escaping in the engine room affecting component parts. This has slowed the ships speed causing the delay.     The wife even had the warm weather clothes out last night after hearing fire...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad it is all under control. A late arrival is a pain but better than the alternate.

Your post will be helpful for anyone boarding the next cruise and they will have a long delay in boarding no doubt.

I’ve just had a txt from P&O to say Britannia will be delayed and to please now plan our arrival 5 hours after the time on our e-tickets . I’ve just looked on marine traffic and it’s showing her going the wrong way! I wonder if they are having to head for nearest port for something? I’m still packing so I’m not too bothered about setting off later,,just glad things seem to be under control now,,must have been quite alarming with a fire announcement at 3am😱

• Like 1

Sorry the alarm was at 11 o’clock PM last night. When we got on the ship did not dock till 10 AM....18th May...we got on the ship at 1.30 PM.   The ship looks to be travelling slowly...could be my eyes.  We did have a helicopter 

medical evacuation leaving Bergen which was very professional..5 minutes on the ship.

18 minutes ago, Cappers said:

I’ve just had a txt from P&O to say Britannia will be delayed and to please now plan our arrival 5 hours after the time on our e-tickets . I’ve just looked on marine traffic and it’s showing her going the wrong way! I wonder if they are having to head for nearest port for something? I’m still packing so I’m not too bothered about setting off later,,just glad things seem to be under control now,,must have been quite alarming with a fire announcement at 3am😱

Hi i work for Penquin parking marchwood and have been asked to work late as Britannia is not arriving till 14 30, very much like last week were it was 08 30 our last pax last week were about 16 30 arriving at the car park but this week an extra six hours later and a 2200 departure could lead to some long delays,  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cappers said:

. I’ve just looked on marine traffic and it’s showing her going the wrong way! 😱

It does appear to be showing this but I think this is a glitch on marine traffic. If you look on the past track she is going in the right direction. Had this glitch before.

Brian

This might be a really daft question but,,,if the situation changes and Britannia gets home sooner than predicted will everyone then get messages to hotfoot it down to Southampton asap or is it a case of now they’ve told everyone it won’t or can’t be changed? I’ve never had this happen before so I really don’t know. Now planning to set off from Leicestershire at around 2pm just to give us plenty of time but am quite worried about the volume of bank holiday traffic we might encounter. 

5 minutes ago, Cappers said:

This might be a really daft question but,,,if the situation changes and Britannia gets home sooner than predicted will everyone then get messages to hotfoot it down to Southampton asap or is it a case of now they’ve told everyone it won’t or can’t be changed? I’ve never had this happen before so I really don’t know. Now planning to set off from Leicestershire at around 2pm just to give us plenty of time but am quite worried about the volume of bank holiday traffic we might encounter. 

IF i were you Cappers i would pack a nice picnic come down early park over at Hythe Marina and watch her come in, it will take 20/25 mins down to the Terminal if you try and get in early they will send you away or put you in a stack.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cappers said:

Come down early, the weather looks good and there are plenty of nice places to relax with a beer close by, even with your luggage.

The old 'Wall House', Dancing Man Brewery is very close by and has plenty of outside seating and a lovely atmosphere. Mayflower park is a good viewing spot right by the water.

Take That are playing at St  Marys, which will add to the already hectic town centre traffic heading to IKEA..

Have a safe journey and don't get too stressed.

Andy

• Like 1

Hello what a beautiful evening....starboard side....calm and sunny, quite warm. Verified today docking will be 2.00 PM. Also our revised disembarkation details arrived also saying docking will be 2.00PM. On our cabin flyer main disembarkation will be between 03.45PM-05.30PM....A insurance letter from P&O said the 7hr15 min delay was due to a technical delay. The good thing is we can keep our cabins till 12.00 midday. Many thanks...Had a great trip, the ship and fjords amazing.

13 minutes ago, hansol1966 said:

Hello what a beautiful evening....starboard side....calm and sunny, quite warm. Verified today docking will be 2.00 PM. Also our revised disembarkation details arrived also saying docking will be 2.00PM. On our cabin flyer main disembarkation will be between 03.45PM-05.30PM....A insurance letter from P&O said the 7hr15 min delay was due to a technical delay. The good thing is we can keep our cabins till 12.00 midday. Many thanks...Had a great trip, the ship and fjords amazing.

Glad you had a great time, we did the same trip this time last year, it was fantastic.

Have a safe last leg.

Andy

2 hours ago, Cappers said:

I’m never one to panic about getting to the port and can’t understand those who travel down the day before unless they live North of Yorkshire, but I think that leaving Leicestershire at 2pm is a couple of hours too late. Traffic to holiday areas has been horrendous this afternoon / evening, with the combination of a Bank Holiday weekend and the start of half term. Obviously it’s always wise to allow a couple of hours for delays caused by accidents on any day, but with these factors in play I would say double that. Also, the Take That concert, coupled with Saturday shopping traffic will cause a lot of congestion late afternoon / early evening. As others have said, I would get down there early and find somewhere nice to chill. Once the ship has berthed they will get the passengers off as quick as they can and want to get the embarking passengers on quickly thereafter. On the 3 cruises we have done on Britannia, embarkation has been much faster than on the other ships. Enjoy your cruise. Lovely ship. 

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m never one to panic about getting to the port and can’t understand those who travel down the day before unless they live North of Yorkshire, but I think that leaving Leicestershire at 2pm is a couple of hours too late. Traffic to holiday areas has been horrendous this afternoon / evening, with the combination of a Bank Holiday weekend and the start of half term. Obviously it’s always wise to allow a couple of hours for delays caused by accidents on any day, but with these factors in play I would say double that. Also, the Take That concert, coupled with Saturday shopping traffic will cause a lot of congestion late afternoon / early evening. As others have said, I would get down there early and find somewhere nice to chill. Once the ship has berthed they will get the passengers off as quick as they can and want to get the embarking passengers on quickly thereafter. On the 3 cruises we have done on Britannia, embarkation has been much faster than on the other ships. Enjoy your cruise. Lovely ship. 

We travel down the day before and stay in hotel in Southampton after an experience that happened to us where we left home on the day of the cruise at 0730hrs form Jct 14 M6 giving plenty of time to drive down to Southampton a total distance of 180miles. We left the M6 to join M42 and wasnt even actually on the M42 but on the link road when we came to a halt. We were stationary for hours and finally reached M42/M40 intersection at 1330 and after a frantic drive manages to get to Southampton park the car and arrive at the terminal at 1600 which was empty and we were rushed through check in and security and onboard. Never want to experience that again and hope that you or anyone else has to suffer the same delays. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cappers said:

Now they have formally delayed departure, they wont suddenly bring it forward again. If everyone is onboard they will look to go asap but if you've been told 2030 boarding instead of 1530 then you can safely assume that.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

We travel down the day before and stay in hotel in Southampton after an experience that happened to us where we left home on the day of the cruise at 0730hrs form Jct 14 M6 giving plenty of time to drive down to Southampton a total distance of 180miles. We left the M6 to join M42 and wasnt even actually on the M42 but on the link road when we came to a halt. We were stationary for hours and finally reached M42/M40 intersection at 1330 and after a frantic drive manages to get to Southampton park the car and arrive at the terminal at 1600 which was empty and we were rushed through check in and security and onboard. Never want to experience that again and hope that you or anyone else has to suffer the same delays. 

An unfortunate and no doubt stressful example of a nightmare journey, but, even with that extreme scenario you still made it! Rather than incur the cost and inconvenience of a night in a hotel, we just allow for many hours of delays and, thankfully, in all of our 18 cruises from Southampton, we have always arrived with hours to spare. Obviously everyone does what suits their own comfort levels but, in our case, 18 pre cruise nights in a hotel would have been a complete waste of money. 

I am also due to board tomorrow and got the same e mail late afternoon which I did not see until 6pm. I was pretty appalled at the insulting offer of £20 per person for effectively losing the first part of our holiday. I called customer services who could only confirm that £20 pp was all they were offering. If boarding is at 6pm as per my e mail then I guess we won’t be seeing our luggage until 8pm to 9pm. We will miss a leisurely afternoon on board. Will miss lunch. What will happen about muster. If P and O were an airline they would be paying delay compensation of hundreds per person. £20 pp is taking the proverbial. Not a happy bunny and will be taking it further. 

8 hours ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

I am also due to board tomorrow and got the same e mail late afternoon which I did not see until 6pm. I was pretty appalled at the insulting offer of £20 per person for effectively losing the first part of our holiday. I called customer services who could only confirm that £20 pp was all they were offering. If boarding is at 6pm as per my e mail then I guess we won’t be seeing our luggage until 8pm to 9pm. We will miss a leisurely afternoon on board. Will miss lunch. What will happen about muster. If P and O were an airline they would be paying delay compensation of hundreds per person. £20 pp is taking the proverbial. Not a happy bunny and will be taking it further. 

I understand your frustration but you are not stuck in an airport with your luggage and no information, you have been pre warned.

I agree that £20 is near pointless, but these things happen.

Try to relax and not let it spoil your holiday, you can scream and shout at P&O when you return.

Have a fantastic cruise,

Andy

8 hours ago, Cappers said:

I’m more disappointed there won’t be a sailaway party😞

Right, please all join in to get Cappers in the mood....

After 3..

1,2,3.....SWEET CAROLINE...

Hope you all have a fantastic time despite the hiccup.

Andy