booked Island Princess - having second thoughts

Jsim2011

We booked Island Princess Panama Canal,  Dec 30th and I am having second thoughts.

We looked for a cruise over New Year with an interesting itinerary and Island Princess Panama Canal seemed to fit the bill.

However,  I have read such mixed reviews that I am now having second thoughts and wondering if we should cancel.   The itinerary still interest us,   and while we are not looking for 24 hour party atmosphere,  we are hoping for a fun and lively ship, especially on New Year's Eve.

ps:   I had some doubts before booking having read some reviews,  but husband convinced me,  but have now read far more reviews while researching ports etc, and the doubts are back.

We did the exact same cruise a couple years ago on the island princess. I thought it was a great ship. Some people say it’s crowded ..it wasn’t crowded. Explorers and the wheel house bar are huge. There’s plenty of space for everybody. And they do just fine without having the universal lounge. Not sure why so many people complain. I would hang in there take the cruise and enjoy yourself 

• Like 1

We did the Panama Canal on the Island over the holidays two years ago, and it was our favorite holiday cruise. The staff was wonderful and the holiday activities were fun, especially New Years Eve - there were parties in all of the clubs, the atrium, and on deck at the middle swimming pool. We've been on other holiday cruises, and the one on the Island has been our favorite so far.

We're one of the lone voices that loves the Island - we stayed in a Vista aft suite (Aloha 729). It's the nicest suite we've been in: well lit, modern, and a large balcony. Some people complain about the vibrations in the aft suites - we didn't think the room vibrated any more than any other aft suite.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RSF Cruiser said:

We did the Panama Canal on the Island over the holidays two years ago, and it was our favorite holiday cruise. The staff was wonderful and the holiday activities were fun, especially New Years Eve - there were parties in all of the clubs, the atrium, and on deck at the middle swimming pool. We've been on other holiday cruises, and the one on the Island has been our favorite so far.

We're one of the lone voices that loves the Island - we stayed in a Vista aft suite (Aloha 729). It's the nicest suite we've been in: well lit, modern, and a large balcony. Some people complain about the vibrations in the aft suites - we didn't think the room vibrated any more than any other aft suite.

That's wonderful news to hear as we have A729 booked for a 25 day Easter Island cruise this coming January leaving from Ft Lauderdale and going through the Panama Canal. We have nothing but high hopes for this cruise and plan on having a great time!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

OP: did you see the Pacific Princess Panama Canal on 1/5/20? FLL to San Pedro, CA.

The Pacific is a great ship. Absolutely NOT crowded.

if the OP or others are depending on the reviews on CC about ships in Alaska / Panama Canal, World Cruise - Pacific Princess is the only ship worthy of being booked

wonder if Princess has even sold a single cabin on the Island for its' world cruise with all the things wrong since the butchering ...

Stay with your Island cruise.  The Island has taken a beating here on cc due to the butchering of the ship a few years ago.  It still is a great ship but different from the rest of the fleet (except its twin Coral which was not butchered).  The two were built for the PC and are called panamax ships.  The PC is a great experience after hearing about it our entire lives.  

• Like 2

I've sailed on the Island Princess quite a few times, both before the major cabin changes and after, including a couple of Panama Canal cruises. I took the 19-day cruise round-trip from LA to Panama with an overnight in Gatun Lake a couple of years ago. Loved the ship. Loved the cruise. Loved the itinerary. I liked the redesign of the buffet and didn't feel it was more crowded than on previous cruises.

You can have two people on the same ship at the same time with completely different opinions and experiences. I wouldn't hesitate to book the Island again.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

OP: did you see the Pacific Princess Panama Canal on 1/5/20? FLL to San Pedro, CA.

The Pacific is a great ship. Absolutely NOT crowded.

No,   I didn't see that one but we want to be on a ship on New Year's Eve.  

For several years people on here beat up on the Caribbean Princess but seem to have let up in the last year or so.  That did not deter to our sailing on the CB and having a great cruise so ignore the rants on the Island Princess and have a great cruise. 

Not sure why there is a need to discount those that have sailed the Island (myself included) both before and after the changes.

Real experience means a lot to me. Different from those that have not sailed her and just think that the ship has "taken a beating" on CC.

We will not sail the Island again. Thats our view and our choice.  

The Island isn't my first choice of Princess ships but I booked two cruises back to back on it for later this month. Price and itinerary won over my hesitancy. Our neighbors sailed on the Panama Canal itinerary and loved the ship. 

We were on the Island through the Panama Canal and loved the ship.  Didn't care that the promenade deck didn't go all the way around, just went through one side of the ship to the other.  Not crowed at all.  Then we did a partial Panama Canal trip (19 days) on the Coral, really didn't notice any difference in crowds on the Island over the Coral.  We will be doing a 28 day on the Island next year.  The Island is a great ship.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:54 PM, RSF Cruiser said:

Nope, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our trip on the Island also. The captain on the Island when we were on it was Captain Tuvo who is the most personable gentleman we've ever been lucky enough to sail with.

Tom

We also have been on the Island 3 times.  Two before and one after and we still like the ship and would sail on her again.    Have found that most if not all of the older ships can be crowded.   If the weather is bad then everyone seems to head for the Atrium.   In warmer weather more tend  to stay outside.