Beware of Celebrity’s Non Refundable Deposits

Bobsgonecoastal

Greetings fellow cruisers.

My wife and I are very loyal Celebrity cruisers but not happy with the lack of non refundable deposit disclosure when canceling cruises directly with Celebrity on their website.  Sorry if the following story is long, but I thought I would share my experience in hopes it might help others.  

I’m a believer that if you agree to purchase terms, then you have to live with them, assuming reasonable effort is made by the seller to disclose the consequences before they take place.  We booked a future cruise in January of 2019 while onboard the Reflection that was 21 months in the future, and made the required $900 deposit.  Recently, I found a very similar cruise on exciting deals that was within the full payment period (Sails 6/27/19) and hurried to hold a cabin online since few Aqua cabins remained.  I phoned celebrity booking and with the help of an agent, secured a Aqua cabin.  After discussing it with my better half, she agreed we should  cancel the similar future cruise (9/23/2020) thinking the $900 deposit would be nice to recapture, and no reason to repeat the itinerary.  When I canceled online, there was no warning or disclosures to inform me I was about to lose my deposit.  I received a follow up confirmation via email which made no mention of a non refundable deposit, so I assumed a deposit credit would follow in a few days.  Two weeks later  I placed a call to celebrity inquiring about the delay and was informed by a booking agent that the deposit was non refundable. After further inquiry he did find that we would receive a future cruise certificate in the amount of $475, a haircut of nearly 50%.  Had that fact been disclosed at any time during the new purchase and cancellation of the old cruise, I never would have done it.  I was told after the fact that I could have transferred the booking at a cost of $100 per guest.  Would have been nice to know that beforehand.  I assume the original future cruise agent mentioned the non refundable deposit, so I will accept the responsibility for forgetting (old brain) but this does not excuse the lack of disclosure during the subsequent transactions.

Again, I apologize for the lengthy story, but the detail might help.

Bob & Mary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yikes!

Almost got stung by this myself.  Booked on the Reflection January 2020, and thought I saw a better deal. It wasn't really better after perks, and good thing I noticed, because the deposit was non-refundable on the new one.

Now I will be very careful

19 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

My understanding was you would loose $100 pp but the rest would be applied to a FCC which had to be used within 1 year (just like you said for transfer).

Celebrity said That is true if you transfer the booking.  If you cancel, it’s 75% of booking deposit less the $100 per guest.  That’s how they explained it to me, and arrived at $475 certificate from a $900 deposit.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Anklefoot said:

Yikes!

Almost got stung by this myself.  Booked on the Reflection January 2020, and thought I saw a better deal. It wasn't really better after perks, and good thing I noticed, because the deposit was non-refundable on the new one.

Now I will be very careful

Yes, it’s getting tricky with Celebrity, and a thorough reading of the booking confirmation, special deal advertising, and maybe a call to their booking department is necessary before making any changes.  I found the disclosure on the booking confirm in one line 8 pt type, but yes it’s there.   No disclosure while I was making the changes however , which would have helped.  I don’t believe this tricky approach is the best way to enhance customer loyalty.  I’ll be much more cautious with them in the future.

8 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I thought if you make a booking while onboard, you only pay a $100 per person deposit, which is fully refundable.  

We’ve noticed the onboard future cruise offers vary considerably.  We made one that had a deposit of $20 pp.  the last couple of cruises did not have much to offer as far as future cruise incentives go.  I think business is pretty good for the cruise lines right now, so they may not feel they need to do much on incentives.

We book  the refundable  deposit choice for the ship, itin  and cabin we want. Mostly in case of illness or family necessity.

If we see a reduction in price we check out  if we will lose perks  etc.

Shopping around is tricky?  As this thread shows,  some do well and some do not...

19 minutes ago, hcat said:

We book  the refundable  deposit choice for the ship, itin  and cabin we want. Mostly in case of illness or family necessity.

If we see a reduction in price we check out  if we will lose perks  etc.

Shopping around is tricky?  As this thread shows,  some do well and some do not...

hcat, that is so true.  It takes considerable attention to detail, and even that doesn’t always work.  We just booked a B2B that was priced with or without perks.  The 2 perk pricing had a refundable deposit and the stripped price had the non refundable.  

The cruise I canceled that started this thread had a non refundable deposit but had two perks, OBC, and was fully prices ..... go figure 

Edited by Bobsgonecoastal

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I don’t book or cancel online.  I want to speak to a person to confirm my understanding of what I am getting or forfeiting and I request a written confirmation before ending the call.

Words of wisdom!  My booking online consists of using a courtesy hold until I can talk to an agent, but I have canceled online a practice I’m giving up.

28 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I don’t book or cancel online.  I want to speak to a person to confirm my understanding of what I am getting or forfeiting and I request a written confirmation before ending the call.

I make a frequent and full use of a curtesy hold. You can do it all online and see the terms before handing over a penny.

2 hours ago, Bobsgonecoastal said:

We’ve noticed the onboard future cruise offers vary considerably.  We made one that had a deposit of $20 pp.  the last couple of cruises did not have much to offer as far as future cruise incentives go.  I think business is pretty good for the cruise lines right now, so they may not feel they need to do much on incentives.

Interesting - I thought the $100pp deposit when booking on board was pretty standard. Perhaps they don't offer that particular perk with the non-refundable fares? We just booked a refundable fare while onboard Summit and the deposit was $100pp, I didn't even have to ask about it.

57 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

We just booked our 1st  Celebrity cruise and was told the following related to cancellations 

- if you cancel and re-book on another Celebrity cruise, it costs you $100

- if you cancel altogether without re-booking in Celebrity, you lose the entire deposit ($500 in our case)

You may want to get their definition of lose.  In our case, 75% of the $900 deposit less $200 was returned ($475) in the form of a future cruise certificate.  The non-refundable deposit is a relatively new concept for Celebrity, and will no doubt have resistance and growing pains.  Overall, I believe you will find Celebrity an excellent cruise experience.  By the end of this month we will have completed 15 cruises with Celebrity.  Our first cruise with them was late 2013, so obviously we like the experience so far.  Your mileage may vary.

Celebrity started yet another sale today.  The fine print about nonrefundable deposits provides:

"Non-Refundable Deposit Offer: To qualify for the lowest available cruise fare, guest must choose a non-refundable deposit. Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date. $100 per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date. Applicable to groups at prevailing rates. Not applicable to incentive, contract, or charter groups. Nonrefundable deposit offers are not applicable to sailings within final payment."

Based on this verbiage, you should only be out the $100 per person service fee.

When you booked onboard, did you get any onboard credit to use on that cruise?  I recall they offered that option at some point.

6 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Celebrity started yet another sale today.  The fine print about nonrefundable deposits provides:

"Non-Refundable Deposit Offer: To qualify for the lowest available cruise fare, guest must choose a non-refundable deposit. Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date. $100 per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date. Applicable to groups at prevailing rates. Not applicable to incentive, contract, or charter groups. Nonrefundable deposit offers are not applicable to sailings within final payment."

Based on this verbiage, you should only be out the $100 per person service fee.

When you booked onboard, did you get any onboard credit to use on that cruise?  I recall they offered that option at some point.

Thank you for that information.  

No, we didn’t use the credit on the current cruise.  Hopefully the agent I spoke with today was incorrect about the 75% minus $200.  I will question them about that.  It’s looking more like we need a major in contact law to deal with all the deals!

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Alsmez said:

Interesting - I thought the $100pp deposit when booking on board was pretty standard. Perhaps they don't offer that particular perk with the non-refundable fares? We just booked a refundable fare while onboard Summit and the deposit was $100pp, I didn't even have to ask about it.

That's what I was told when we booked on board. Deposit of $100/pp is what is charged when you book a future cruise. I had a choice of refundable deposit + 2 perks or non-refundable deposit + $200 OBC + 2 perks. I chose non-refundable for the extra OBC and the agent told me that meant the $200 deposit is non-transferable. We ended up with a pretty good deal.

this is from "Cruising Power" you should only be losing $200.

Non-Refundable Deposit - PolicyNon-Refundable Deposit - Policy

Policies | 2018-08-11 | 02:30 PM

Non-Refundable Deposit - Policy

Full Terms and Conditions

A booking made under the non-refundable deposit cruise fare rate (an “NRD Booking”) requires the payment of a non-refundable deposit at the time of booking. The deposit is not refundable at any time after it has been paid. Payment of full deposit and full name are required for each guest at the time of booking. Deposit made toward Guarantees and Grand Suites and higher categories are non-refundable and subject to NRD Booking terms. 

If the guest cancels an NRD Booking prior to the final payment due date, the cancellation terms of the cruise ticket contract apply, and Royal Caribbean will issue a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit paid minus a (*NRD Amount) per person service fee to the guest named on the cancelled NRD Booking (the “FCC”). The FCC is applicable only towards the purchase of a Celebrity cruise and expires 12-months after the issue date (the “Expiration Date”). Any amount remaining after the Expiration Date will be void and forfeited. The FCC is non-transferable, non-refundable, and not redeemable for any other form of compensation, credit, or cash. For NRD Bookings that require a deposit of (*NRD Amount) or less, no FCC or any other compensation or credit of any kind will be issued. 

Each time the guest changes the ship or sail date of an NRD Booking prior to the final payment due date, payments made towards the NRD Booking will be applied to the balance of the modified booking and a (*NRD Amount) per person service fee will be charged to the modified booking.

Offer available to residents of United States and Canada. Prices are subject to availability, subject to change without notice; capacity controlled, and may be withdrawn at any time.  To view the Cruise Ticket Contract please  click here.

Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions and to change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice. ©2018 Celebrity Cruises Ltd. Ships' Registry: Malta and Ecuador.

*Non-Refundable Deposit Amounts (NRD) by Country (for Miami Office only) Note: rates may vary by office.

Currency NRP Amount
AUD 100  
BRL 355  
CAD 100  
CHF 100  
CNY 500  
DKK 2000  
EUR 80  
GBP 75  
HKD 600  
MXN 1270  
NOK 2000  
NZD 100  
SEK 2000  
SGD 150  
USD

46 minutes ago, whitshel said:

this is from "Cruising Power" you should only be losing $200.

Non-Refundable Deposit - PolicyNon-Refundable Deposit - Policy

Policies | 2018-08-11 | 02:30 PM

Non-Refundable Deposit - Policy

A booking made under the non-refundable deposit cruise fare rate (an “NRD Booking”) requires the payment of a non-refundable deposit at the time of booking. The deposit is not refundable at any time after it has been paid. Payment of full deposit and full name are required for each guest at the time of booking. Deposit made toward Guarantees and Grand Suites and higher categories are non-refundable and subject to NRD Booking terms. 

If the guest cancels an NRD Booking prior to the final payment due date, the cancellation terms of the cruise ticket contract apply, and Royal Caribbean will issue a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit paid minus a (*NRD Amount) per person service fee to the guest named on the cancelled NRD Booking (the “FCC”). The FCC is applicable only towards the purchase of a Celebrity cruise and expires 12-months after the issue date (the “Expiration Date”). Any amount remaining after the Expiration Date will be void and forfeited. The FCC is non-transferable, non-refundable, and not redeemable for any other form of compensation, credit, or cash. For NRD Bookings that require a deposit of (*NRD Amount) or less, no FCC or any other compensation or credit of any kind will be issued. 

Each time the guest changes the ship or sail date of an NRD Booking prior to the final payment due date, payments made towards the NRD Booking will be applied to the balance of the modified booking and a (*NRD Amount) per person service fee will be charged to the modified booking.

Offer available to residents of United States and Canada. Prices are subject to availability, subject to change without notice; capacity controlled, and may be withdrawn at any time.  To view the Cruise Ticket Contract please  click here.

Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions and to change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice. ©2018 Celebrity Cruises Ltd. Ships' Registry: Malta and Ecuador.

*Non-Refundable Deposit Amounts (NRD) by Country (for Miami Office only) Note: rates may vary by office.

Currency NRP Amount
AUD 100  
BRL 355  
CAD 100  
CHF 100  
CNY 500  
DKK 2000  
EUR 80  
GBP 75  
HKD 600  
MXN 1270  
NOK 2000  
NZD 100  
SEK 2000  
SGD 150  
USD

That sounds right to me.  I wonder where he came up with the 75% minus $200.

i will call tomorrow and inquire.  It’s interesting in that Celebrity is not out one penny for this booking since we received no OBC during the cruise that we were on when we booked.  In that sense It’s really just a booking change. 

6 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

We just booked our 1st  Celebrity cruise and was told the following related to cancellations 

- if you cancel and re-book on another Celebrity cruise, it costs you $100

- if you cancel altogether without re-booking in Celebrity, you lose the entire deposit ($500 in our case)

These are the T&C of bookings in UK.

Its only fairly recently that we have been allowed to transfer a cruise ONCE at a cost of £75. Prior to that we just cancelled and lost all our deposit ( only option).

Hence passengers in UK do not book multiple cruises, we book a cruise that we want to take.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

UpwardUK is right - there are no "non refundable deposits" in the UK so it has always been a source of slight bemusement for UK cruisers.  But when the US practice of booking cruises and then cancelling at the later payment date was at its height you could predict the payment date and wait on the website for released cabins to come back on at a reduced rate.  We did several much cheaper cruises that way (and we never cruise in less than a CS...) so we for one family were very grateful to our American friends and their refundable deposits!  Sadly this seems to have largely ceased since X brought in a combination of the non refundable deposit for US nationals and the move up bid process.  We still sneak in the odd cheapie though....