Flight time change

mz13

We are on RCCL Symphony in September out of Miami. I just recieved an email that American moved out flight from 2:20 until 10:20 am out of MIA. Is that too early? Last time we were on Allure and did the carry our own luggage we couldn't get on an elevator and ended carrying down 14 flights of stairs. So we really didn't want to have to do that again. Also we did an NCL cruise from Miami and it took hours to get off, to our luggage, and through customs. We ended up stressed out and running to our plane, not the way I want to end a cruise! 

Just wanted to see what everyone thought!!

I would definitely carry off your bags.  You should make it but it won't be a relaxing morning.:classic_sad:

We fly AA fairly often only because they're one of the primary carriers at our airport.  It seems over the years they have changed flight times more often than any other airline we fly................

40 minutes ago, mz13 said:

We are on RCCL Symphony in September out of Miami. I just recieved an email that American moved out flight from 2:20 until 10:20 am out of MIA. Is that too early?

The other option is to contact AA and request to be put back on a later flight.  When the airline changes the flight like that, they typically will allow you to change to another option without paying a change fee. 

• Like 2

Call your airline up and tell them (nicely but in no uncertain terms) that the flight that they rescheduled (earlier) will not work for you and that you need to be re-booked on a later flight. Don't take no for an answer, Remember, YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER!!!

Many times people just sheepishly accept what they are told by the airlines, not being aware that you can ask and usually get another option.

• Like 1

Had problems earlier this year with American changing my flight - very similar time. They are having major problems because of the number of their planes currently grounded because of the 737 max aircraft - they have a large number in their fleet. 

I didn’t want to walk off, and opted to make an extra change of plane instead. I wasn’t happy, American lost my luggage, which had been shipped by luggage valet through RC, but given the flight options I didn’t have many choices. 

You will probably be okay if you line up early.  Or, if you want to try a different flight I did find American to be helpful (no fees) but limited in flights available because of the 737 grounding. 

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

I was once booked on American Airlines. My flight was also changed. I called them and told them no way will I make the flight because I am coming off a ship. They told me because its more of an hour change in flight times they will change me to a different flight at no extra charge. So you have to call them to get it changed.

The next flight out is 9pm, but i'm leaning towards trying to get it switched to that. I think the earlier flight would end up stressing me out too much to enjoy our last night of the cruise. Our poor dogs will just have to be boarded one more night. 

Any ideas of what to do that day in Miami with our luggage? 🙄

8 minutes ago, mz13 said:

The next flight out is 9pm,

I assume you mean the next NONSTOP flight to wherever is home.  MIA is huge hub for AA so there are AA flights departing all day long.  Consider a connecting flight, and you will likely find far more options.

17 minutes ago, mz13 said:

The next flight out is 9pm, but i'm leaning towards trying to get it switched to that. I think the earlier flight would end up stressing me out too much to enjoy our last night of the cruise. Our poor dogs will just have to be boarded one more night. 

Any ideas of what to do that day in Miami with our luggage? 🙄

I would be a whole lot more stressed trying to figure out what to do all day than worrying about self embarking in the morning but that’s me. You could sign up for a ship excursion that includes airport drop off but those typically have you at the airport by noon. You’ll still have a lot of time to waste.

Honestly, the new Miami terminal is AMAZING for embarkation and debarkation. 

I walked off Symphony with my luggage (I just waited for an elevator -- even if it takes 20 minutes, it's better than carting it down the stairs) at 8:00am, no line to get off the ship, no line at customs.  

I'd just keep the 10am flight, especially if you have TSA Pre-Check for the security line at the airport.  

We also use AA to return to Cleveland after cruises. And yes, they do seem to change flight times more than others. However, we have never had a problem moving flights at no cost. In fact, we often get better direct flights than we would normally not pay extra for. They are very easy to work with.

13 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Honestly, the new Miami terminal is AMAZING for embarkation and debarkation. 

I walked off Symphony with my luggage (I just waited for an elevator -- even if it takes 20 minutes, it's better than carting it down the stairs) at 8:00am, no line to get off the ship, no line at customs.  

I'd just keep the 10am flight, especially if you have TSA Pre-Check for the security line at the airport.  

Wanted to point out that they were NOT using the facial recognition on the day that I was at the new Miami terminal, and it was still the quickest debarkation I've ever experienced.  (Note that this was my fourth Oasis class ship experience, and I've also used the Global Entry shortcut at FLL on the previous cruises.)

They had a few stations with Customs Agents standing there (not behind a podium or anything, just standing in large lanes similar to the check-in lanes), and I was the second or third person in line on my lane.  Honestly, the line moved through so quickly that I truly can't remember if there was one or two different family groups in front of me.  

The total time from when I got off the elevator on the ship to when I hit the sidewalk outside couldn't have been ten minutes total, and I walk slowly due to a knee injury.  

Thank you all for your help, as of right now my husband wants to keep the morning flight. We do have tsa precheck and haven't been out of the new Miami terminal yet so hopefully everything goes as smooth as it sounds it normally does!

1 hour ago, mz13 said:

Thank you all for your help, as of right now my husband wants to keep the morning flight. We do have tsa precheck and haven't been out of the new Miami terminal yet so hopefully everything goes as smooth as it sounds it normally does!

I'll be honest, I thought people were blowing smoke about the new terminal being so fast to get through, but I experienced it myself in March. 

My cruise was the same week that the entire province of Ontario was on spring break, so it was a FULL cruise with lots of families with kids (and you know how chaotic anything gets to be when there are lots of kids involved.... they go running every direction, drop things, have tantrums, and just basically make every line you're in feel like fingernails on a chalkboard), and the whole process (at least when walking off with your luggage, like I did) really does go unbelievably smoothly and quickly!  

I would imagine there would be a line first thing in the morning when they first start the walk-offs, but I really never saw one when I left at 8am.  I did bypass the luggage pickup area by going down the terminal elevator instead of the escalator (I have a bum knee and a worker saw me resting it and offered the elevator to shorten my walking distance), but I was walking so slowly that I really don't think I saved any time compared to what a normal-walker would experience.  

As others have said it isn't too early, but you WILL have to do self-disembarkation. My past 2 cruises I have taken 10:20am flights from FLL with disembarkation in Miami and had no issues making it. I get to the disembarkation area very early to make sure I am one of the first people off the ship...no stress involved for me (I wake up early anyways)

21 minutes ago, mz13 said:

We are pretty early risers too. If walk off with your luggage is supposed to start at 6:45 how early do you think people start lining up? 6-6:15?

I''ve seen reports of people lining up an hour before the scheduled start of self-assist disembarkation.

2 hours ago, mz13 said:

Have watched the lines waiting to get off ship many times.  I would suggest you set alarm, get dressed, grab the luggage and get the elevator down before the line goes round and round.  Would rather stand in the front of the line than carry luggage down many flights of stairs.  At times it was necessary to split up and take different elevators to get down to departure deck.

Have not lived in Miami or sailed out of Miami in many years but traffic according to my friend who still lives and works there can be a nightmare most days.  The earlier you are off ship and on expressway to airport the better off you will be.  Good Luck and fly safely.

47 minutes ago, mz13 said:

We are pretty early risers too. If walk off with your luggage is supposed to start at 6:45 how early do you think people start lining up? 6-6:15?

I'd probably be there by 5:45, but thats just me being OCD about being early.