Steakhouse

Gratuities ARE included at $38.00 and still the lowest cost for the steak house than any other line. I go back to 1994 and do not remember the Steak House any lower than $25.00 plus gratuities at that time. Gratuities at that time were 10% so the cost would be $27.50 pp. an increase of only $10.50 over 25 years, Not bad at all. Many cruise lines are now charging $55.00 & up pp. That is way high and I will never pay that. Hand down. A very good deal on a cruise ship for the steak house.

The reason we love the Steakhouse so much is that your steak is made to order. You order a ribeye medium rare, they select a ribeye for you and cook it medium rare, just for you. It is your ribeye. Do you think that the flat iron steak, or even the steakhouse selections in the MDR are cooked to order? No way. They are massed produced. Throw 25 flat iron steaks on the grill, take off 5 when they are rare, throw them in a pan, take off 5 when they are medium rare, throw them in a pan, etc. etc. That's where your MDR steaks come from, a pan. Here are some photos from one of our Journeys cruises. We were invited to a Diamond luncheon which was preceded by a galley tour. One of the entrees being served at the luncheon was filet mignon. During the tour I noticed that they were already cooking the filet mignon. This was a good twenty to thirty minutes before I even ordered mine.

IMG_1221-X2.jpg

IMG_1225-X2.jpg

It was good, though if it had been cooked in the steakhouse to order it would have been even better.

IMG_1262-X2.jpg

Bottom line folks is that the food in the MDR, which by the way we love, is banquet food, produced in mass quantities. That shrimp creole was produced in huge pans, some of which go up to the Lido buffet, and some are for the MDR. The only difference is that in the MDR they plate it for you.

That is why comparing steaks in the MDR to the steakhouse is foolish (my opinion). and why we enjoy dining at all the specialty restaurants from time to time. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions. YMMV. 😁

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, coevan said:

Not really much on the main dishes, some apps and desserts changed. They took off the Cheese Cake and people freaked out. I go there for their delicious tender steaks.

the cheese cake is back on the NEW menu. i was on the sunrise and they had the cheese cake

Just my two cents worth....we were on the Dream in June, our kids gave us the cruise for our 50th anniversary. They also reserved the steakhouse for us on our actual anniversary which was the second night and cruise elegant night and put money on our account since you can not pre pay for it.

We were treated so well, and had the friendliest staff. We did receive the free bottle of wine, and we thought it was very good. We received the chef’s compliment, it was a chili and tomato and I could have eaten three of them it was so delicious, but good thing I didn’t because everything was delicious and plentiful!

I had two appetizers, the beef tartar and bone marrow, and lobster bisque. We both got ribeyes, my husband the spiced and mine was the cowboy cut, and they were the size of dinner plates, lol. We could not even eat half of it, but  our server told us no problem, they would fix it to take back to our cabin. Then we got the cheesecake, and they let us take that back to the cabin. So we left with one covered plate of steak and another with cheesecakes, with two napkins and silverware.

Granted our reservations were early, at six, but we are early eaters, and the steakhouse was not crowded. We were at a table for four by the window and it was quiet and relaxing and never felt hurried.  We could not have had a better experience.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I went to book my steakhouse visit on the Freedom using Carnival's website.  It absolutely, positively states that the $38 does NOT include gratuities and that these can be added in cash or put on our Sign and Sail account.  If you have a cruise booked, check it out on the website. That's why I'm bringing this up. On the Freedom at lease, grats are stated as not being included in the steakhouse cost.

Yes that is what is says just below the steak house information.  However in another location on their web site it clearly says it is included. That is what I was told. My TA also reconfirmed it IS included. I was confused so I called my Diamond members number and double checked. She checked and clearly told me it IS included. However, if you wish to add you certainly may. Cash or on your account.

15 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I went to book my steakhouse visit on the Freedom using Carnival's website.  It absolutely, positively states that the $38 does NOT include gratuities and that these can be added in cash or put on our Sign and Sail account.  If you have a cruise booked, check it out on the website. That's why I'm bringing this up. On the Freedom at lease, grats are stated as not being included in the steakhouse cost.

This was just prior to the charge increasing to $38.00

The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion.

On 6/29/2019 at 6:28 PM, CruizCuz said:

So is it possible to purchase more than one bottle of wine at 50% off on the first night?  That would be awesome!  And on a 4 day cruise, does anyone know if there are any other nights, other than the first, that you could get 50% off a bottle of wine?  

On 6/29/2019 at 8:47 PM, coevan said:

I believe they allow it on Elegant night as well. 

Yep, first night, and first elegant evening.

On 6/30/2019 at 9:56 AM, schnippo said:

The steak house no longer offers free bottle first night, now they offer discounted wines first night. It changed a few months back.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:12 AM, CruizCuz said:

Do you know if you can get more than 1 discounted bottle?

I didn't pay any attention the first night (regarding the free bottle), only went with the discount option. The second night (elegant night), I did note that they gave the option of a free bottle or a discounted bottle.

Getting more than 1 bottle at a discount is probably up to the steakhouse manager. 

Tom

Published 4 weeks ago on June 4, 2019 By Doug Parker Cruise Radio

Carnival Cruise Line’s Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse.

For $38 per person (gratuities included), you simply cannot beat the value of the Carnival steakhouse, both on land and at sea. The same four-course meal would likely cost at least double on land, and $38 is one of the lowest steakhouse rates in the cruise industry.

With that said, Carnival has an award-winning selection of wines at their steakhouses and you can receive one bottle of their choosing for free if you dine at the steakhouse on the first night

On 6/21/2019 at 4:46 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Right there with you !

We've dined there a good 125-150 nights (I have no real idea) - but am really looking forward to this new menu. Thanks the the heads up on the oysters !!

Tom

Carnival Wine Promo.jpg

Yes, you can buy more than one bottle at 1/2 price

i haven't come across steakhouses at sea higher than $38, but I've only sailed NCL and MSC outside of Carnival.  Interesting. 

I did notice the $38 doesn't include gratuities on our cruise in Sept when I did a trial booking run, it felt odd that it said gratuities were not required but could be added. id rather they just be added.

This is what is on Carnival's website today. Gratuities are not mentioned as included anymore. I'm sure that some servers are not receiving their full gratuities as some are thinking the gratuities are still included. I clearly read this as the gratuities are not included but are optional. 

*Please note: Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. Dress Code is Cruise Elegant. Dress jeans are allowed on Cruise Casual evenings. The fee includes an appetizer, entree, dessert. Gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. All dining rooms are smoke-free. Please allow 1 to 1 1/2 hours for dining experience.

Just returned from a 3-night Liberty sailing. Our primary goal was to give the new menu a try.

Let me first say that we probably won't return for any 3 night sailing. We've been on several previously, but a higher % of our fellow cruisers on this sailing obviously didn't get much in the way of "home training"... 'nuff said!

Ok - 3 nights of very good service, wine, food, and ambiance. It would seem that those other guests I referred to above didn't care to pay additional for food (thankfully!)

Tried lots of new starters. Entree wise I've now tried the Honey Chicken, Dover Sole, and Wagyu. The chicken was just ok, as was the Dover Sole (a tad too much broiler time -  thus the thinner portion trended tough). The (rare) Wagyu steak was good, and now I can say I've tried it. Next time, back to NY strips, ribeyes, and lamb 🙂

We'll be back for a 4-night sailing in August - and have all nights booked. 

Tom

• Like 1

It's worth noting that the menu now combines salads (formerly under their own heading) with starters. Seemingly eliminating one category of courses. Fortunately, I detected no issues ordering two starters ... probably could have ordered 3! Only 1 night did we opt (or felt we had any room) for dessert!

BTW - the  heavy NY style ($3 ?) cheesecake available at the coffee/shake place is more to my liking than the oversized one offered in the steakhouse. 

I can recall, in the early Steakhouse (Supper Club) days that we ate every course - regardless of how uncomfortable we then felt for hours.... no more !! 

Tom

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lerin said:

What is this new menu that everyone is complaining about? 

It's just change, no one likes change.

I can't wait until our Steakhouse dinner in Sept.. Off the Magic in May and we had a great meal and service in their Steakhouse.

Probably going to add a second night.

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

It's worth noting that the menu now combines salads (formerly under their own heading) with starters. Seemingly eliminating one category of courses. Fortunately, I detected no issues ordering two starters ... probably could have ordered 3! Only 1 night did we opt (or felt we had any room) for dessert!

BTW - the  heavy NY style ($3 ?) cheesecake available at the coffee/shake place is more to my liking than the oversized one offered in the steakhouse. 

I can recall, in the early Steakhouse (Supper Club) days that we ate every course - regardless of how uncomfortable we then felt for hours.... no more !! 

Tom

Same with us, those days are gone....

2 hours ago, luv2cruise777l said:

This is what is on Carnival's website today. Gratuities are not mentioned as included anymore. I'm sure that some servers are not receiving their full gratuities as some are thinking the gratuities are still included. I clearly read this as the gratuities are not included but are optional. 

*Please note: Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. Dress Code is Cruise Elegant. Dress jeans are allowed on Cruise Casual evenings. The fee includes an appetizer, entree, dessert. Gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. All dining rooms are smoke-free. Please allow 1 to 1 1/2 hours for dining experience.

1 to 1 1/2 hours for dining in steakhouse? That would be really pushing people thru a nice meal

Some starters we tried:

Stuffed mushrooms - VERY good (ordered a second evening)

Oysters - good sized, very nice presentation. Might get again...

Bone Marrow and Tartare - Very tasty - Will get again

Pork Belly - I've had pork belly at several places, all have been melt-in-your-mouth... until this one (and smaller portion too)

Tuna Tartare - VERY good - will definitely order this again.

20190628_180148.jpg

20190628_180152.jpg

20190628_181617.jpg

20190629_180038.jpg

20190630_175655.jpg