Steakhouse

On 6/27/2019 at 12:07 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Upon reading up a bit, looks like I was carrying on a bit of a myth... I'm a fan of marbling, but at some point (or beyond) you're mainly eating fat... Tasty fat, but fat!  LINK

Tom

Wagyu fat melts at a lower temperature.  So if you are eating true Wagyu you should get the hint of butter on your lips because all of that marbling melted.  Some will melt just with the touch of your warm hand.  Wagyu is definitely a healthier beef.  We raise Wagyu cattle as well as American breeds.  Most legitimate breeders in the US are raising with genetics from Japan.  But if you see it in your grocery store for prices close to Angus prices, you are probably getting more like a percentage Wagyu crossed with an American breed cow.  They will call that "Kobe Style" or "American Kobe".  Obviously it's not Kobe.

If you were to talk to my DW and I about the steakhouse you would get two totally different responses. I love the steakhouse and I think $38 is a pretty good price. Its not just about the food it about the service you get also. I love the first night free bottle of wine...well my DW upgrades it, she is not a fan of the free stuff. However with all that said my DW does not think it is worth the $38 when we already have paid for the MDR and she thinks it is just as good. Now she will say "I like the steakhouse it is pretty good" but when you add $38 to the mix it just not worth it. I totally disagree with I think the steakhouse is way better. In fact, I have had the French Onion Soup in both the MDR/Steakhouse. I thought the Steakhouse version was WAY better then the MDR, and yes it was different. So to me it is, to each his/her own, and I think it is worth it. Bon Appetit

On 6/30/2019 at 10:17 AM, Amadawn1 said:

That's false.  I have my steakhouse reservation printout for 1st night on the Magic in Sept. right in front of me.  Right at the bottom it says:  P.S We are having a promotion in the Steakhouse on Embarkation and the first Cruise Elegant night of the cruise! Guests booking a reservation on either night will receive a complimentary bottle of house wine or 50% off any bottle from our wine list!

Yes. First night. FREE bottle of wine. Still there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Yes. First night. FREE bottle of wine. Still there.

I previously posted this information about the Gratuities included. They are.

Yes that is what is says just below the steak house information.  However in another location on their web site it clearly says it is included. That is what I was told. My TA also reconfirmed it IS included. I was confused so I called my Diamond members number and double checked. She checked and clearly told me it IS included. However, if you wish to add you certainly may. Cash or on your account.

Go and see this up to date 2019 about the steak house and the gratuities included.

cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-steakhouse.

This was just prior to the charge increasing to $38.00

The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion.

I hope this settles it.

On 6/30/2019 at 9:56 AM, schnippo said:

The steak house no longer offers free bottle first night, now they offer discounted wines first night. It changed a few months back.

Let me clear this up. You still get a choice of red or white inexpensive wine for FREE or you can opt to pick your wine from a large list and receive 50% off. This is for the first night of the cruise only.

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

You still get a choice of red or white inexpensive wine for FREE or you can opt to pick your wine from a large list and receive 50% off.

It would be even better if they allowed us to combine the 50% off the wine list with the 25% per bottle we'll have going with our Cheers package.  I could definitely handle 75% off!

32 minutes ago, Amadawn1 said:

It would be even better if they allowed us to combine the 50% off the wine list with the 25% per bottle we'll have going with our Cheers package.  I could definitely handle 75% off!

I guess we can dream  🙂

I'm just thrilled to get the bottles opened, decanted, and served for basically what I'd pay to buy the bottle on land!

Tom

• Like 2

On 6/15/2019 at 9:55 AM, fyree39 said:

I've almost reached the point where I'll no longer book it. Carnival changed the menu and removed a couple of my favorite sides, so for me the selling point is now just the steak.  I don't even care for the desserts too much. At $38, I can cook a wonderful steak at home.

Curious, what sides used to be offered?

On 6/22/2019 at 2:30 PM, JQTravels said:

Do not get the surf and turf if you are hungry....look at the fork/filet comparison

surfturf.jpg

THIS! I had planned on surf and turf until I saw the actual pictures of it. This is a childs plate compared to what it should be.

28 minutes ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

.Also do they have Worcestershire sauce or do I need to pack it?

50 years in the restaurant business, never had a customer ask for Worcestershire sauce. How do you have your steak cooked? 

18 minutes ago, coevan said:

50 years in the restaurant business, never had a customer ask for Worcestershire sauce. How do you have your steak cooked? 

Lol I use it all the time with a few exceptions, Ruth chris being one. In a perfect world I want it in between medium and medium well but only the higher end restaurants seem to be able to hit that middle mark so I tend to just say medium well. I know, the horror 😱😂

On 7/1/2019 at 12:58 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Just returned from a 3-night Liberty sailing. Our primary goal was to give the new menu a try.

Let me first say that we probably won't return for any 3 night sailing. We've been on several previously, but a higher % of our fellow cruisers on this sailing obviously didn't get much in the way of "home training"... 'nuff said!

Ok - 3 nights of very good service, wine, food, and ambiance. It would seem that those other guests I referred to above didn't care to pay additional for food (thankfully!)

Tried lots of new starters. Entree wise I've now tried the Honey Chicken, Dover Sole, and Wagyu. The chicken was just ok, as was the Dover Sole (a tad too much broiler time -  thus the thinner portion trended tough). The (rare) Wagyu steak was good, and now I can say I've tried it. Next time, back to NY strips, ribeyes, and lamb 🙂

We'll be back for a 4-night sailing in August - and have all nights booked. 

Tom

Captain suite?

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:07 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

BTW - the  heavy NY style ($3 ?) cheesecake available at the coffee/shake place is more to my liking than the oversized one offered in the steakhouse. 

Agree agree agree about that comparison. 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Compliments from the chef - three evenings:

Waygu Mini Burger - good 🙂

Tomato w/chili (or such) - very tasty

Parmesan three ways - best of the bunch, IMO

On that last Liberty 3-nighter, I only dined there twice, but had two of the same chef compliments. The mini burger was excellent, but the Parm item was extra special. I had repeat servers over that tight cluster of sailings, and one picked up on how much I'd enjoyed it.  After declaring, "No dessert tonight, thanks", my folder/check was accompanied by yet another serving . . . and her big smile.

Ahem . . . "Trick or Treat" is a 4-night. 😊

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Love aft wraps....... 

As do we.

Aft wrap for this Sept on the Sunrise 8 day and and Aft Wrap on the Horizon/ Havana for the ABC's next May.

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I guess we can dream  🙂

I'm just thrilled to get the bottles opened, decanted, and served for basically what I'd pay to buy the bottle on land!

Tom

Thank you for the reminder that there is an added value we are purchasing.  Sometimes I struggle with how much extra a bottle costs on the ship vs. what I can pay at home, but it is sometimes nice to have table service.

12 hours ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

THIS! I had planned on surf and turf until I saw the actual pictures of it. This is a childs plate compared to what it should be.

If my husband and I do the steakhouse again we would likely have one get lobster and the other filet then split our meals to have reasonable sized surf & turf.  If only one of you wants it though that wouldn't work 😉 

12 hours ago, DGP1111 said:

Agree agree agree about that comparison. 

On that last Liberty 3-nighter, I only dined there twice, but had two of the same chef compliments. The mini burger was excellent, but the Parm item was extra special. I had repeat servers over that tight cluster of sailings, and one picked up on how much I'd enjoyed it.  After declaring, "No dessert tonight, thanks", my folder/check was accompanied by yet another serving . . . and her big smile.

Ahem . . . "Trick or Treat" is a 4-night. 😊

Ooooo -- TWO compliments !!

10/31.... Darn, we're off the prior week !! 

🙂

Tom

I have never seen wine decanted on Carnival ship or most any restaurant. We have one at home and rarely use it.

10 minutes ago, coevan said:

I have never seen wine decanted on Carnival ship or most any restaurant. We have one at home and rarely use it.

We have had wine decanted in the steakhouse when we get really food wine. Then it is done without asking.  

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:35 PM, coevan said:

Lol. I put Lea & Perrins on just about everything. Especially beef, lamb, and bison. It has always been available, even in the finest of steak houses.  I like my steaks cooked on the rare side of medium rare.  I have always been able to get it in the steak house on Carnival.