Azamara rebrands and Ventures Beyond the Sea

Riocca

In addition to cruises, we book hiking tours.  The deal there is always that if they don't make their minimum number on a date they will cancel the tour altogether.  Not fun if you have already paid for airfare and booked hotels pre- and post.  We've also have non-private third-party shore excursions cancelled for lack of numbers – sometimes at the very last minute [e.g. we were already onboard].  There is no good answer on something like this.  This may not even be Azamara's choice:  Vendors have the right [or reserve the right] not to lose money on a slow-selling tour.  

• Like 1

I just had a look at a couple of the offerings for my cruises next year. All I can say is that the prices are eye watering for what you get. On the ones I looked at a three day pre or post and you are on your own for two of them. Game changer?  Well if Azamara can sell them to the type of guests I've met onboard then best of luck!

Phil  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I just had a look at a couple of the offerings for my cruises next year. All I can say is that the prices are eye watering for what you get. On the ones I looked at a three day pre or post and you are on your own for two of them. Game changer?  Well if Azamara can sell them to the type of guests I've met onboard then best of luck!

Phil  

Did the same Phil and there was nothing I can’t do better and cheaper myself, two days in Hong Kong would cost £1250 we have a same standard hotel but an executive room for less than half that including limousine transfers. The “extras” offered can be done easily and cheaply by anyone.

Problem as I see it Cox & Kings want to make a profit and Azamara want to make a profit and that puts the price at silly levels.

I’m sure Bonnie is right there will be money no object people willing to pay those prices but their expectations will be sky high as well so Azamara has to deliver.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Riocca said:

Did the same Phil and there was nothing I can’t do better and cheaper myself, two days in Hong Kong would cost £1250 we have a same standard hotel but an executive room for less than half that including limousine transfers. The “extras” offered can be done easily and cheaply by anyone.

Problem as I see it Cox & Kings want to make a profit and Azamara want to make a profit and that puts the price at silly levels.

I’m sure Bonnie is right there will be money no object people willing to pay those prices but their expectations will be sky high as well so Azamara has to deliver.

What I really don't understand about this is that they are going after the luxury travel, but not offering luxury hotels.  The Hong Kong hotel is nice, but not luxury.  It's not The Peninsula and the Singapore hotel (Marina Mandarin) is not the Marina Bay Sands.  This goes to your point about expectations.  

To be honest, if Celebrity offers same ports, similar time/days in port and port locations, I'll put money in my pocket and take the Celebrity cruise.  Can't do it in SE Asia because of port locations, but can for many itineraries.  

2 hours ago, Riocca said:

Oops made a price error got the Dubai & Hong Kong mixed up, in fact 2 days in Hong Kong is just £2040, over three times the cost of our hotel. I’m sure I can tour Hong Kong for a day in some style for £1400!

We will wait and see, won’t affect us because we won’t be booking any City Stays or pre & post cruise packages. As long as we can continue to enjoy the onboard experience every thing is fine.

20 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

What I really don't understand about this is that they are going after the luxury travel, but not offering luxury hotels.  The Hong Kong hotel is nice, but not luxury.  It's not The Peninsula and the Singapore hotel (Marina Mandarin) is not the Marina Bay Sands.  This goes to your point about expectations.  

To be honest, if Celebrity offers same ports, similar time/days in port and port locations, I'll put money in my pocket and take the Celebrity cruise.  Can't do it in SE Asia because of port locations, but can for many itineraries.  

Exactly, based on 2 people sharing a Deluxe room in The Peninsula would cost me £1300 leaving £700 for the day and a half tour, however they’re quoting the Kowloon Shangri-la currently I could book that for £680 again leaving £1300 for the tour. I booked early direct with the hotel and got a good deal on an upgraded room but with the number of reliable hotel booking sites now it’s so easy to find a good hotel and in the tourist hot spots most hotels can put together transfers and tours if you want them.

As I said won’t be losing any sleep over this venture, hopefully Azamara will find the market they are looking for but it not us.

• Like 1

From the email I have just had there are thee levels Azamazing Journeys which have 12-18 guests and stay in 5 star hotels Land Journeys 20-24 guests staying in 4-5 star hotels and Stay Local number not specified but again 20-24 guests.  Sorry but for me at the price the groups are far too big

Edited by uktog

6 minutes ago, uktog said:

From the email I have just had there are thee levels Azamazing Journeys which have 12-18 guests and stay in 5 star hotels Land Journeys 20-24 guests staying in 4-5 star hotels and Stay Local number not specified but again 20-24 guests.  Sorry but for me at the price the groups are far too big

Totally agree, we’ve booked a small group tour of Beijing & Xi’an pre our October cruise and the maximum number is 12, we also added a private tour to Guilin opted for 5* hotels and first class flights. Our 8 days still cost almost £1000 less than Azamara’s 5 days, I know we’re not the target customer but at these prices expectations will be high.

Not trying to press the point, however I have just looked at the 5 day Historical England tour offered pre or post Southampton cruises. The cost is an eye watering £4156pp but from the error strewn description it’s going to be mostly driving about. First day is in London which is ok, day two starts with a visit to Highclere Castle apparently home to the tv series Upstairs Downstairs! I’m sure Downton Abbey fans are unaware of that.

Base hotel for the rest of the trip according to the trip description is in Stratford-upon-Avon, a beautiful part of the country and in the north of the Cotswolds. Day 3 sees an exploration of Stratford in the morning and after lunch an exploration of Cotswold villages, although the accompanying picture shows Castle Combe in Wiltshire about 80 miles from Stratford but only 12 miles from Bath which is visited on day five. Day 4 the visit is to Stonehenge which is 120 miles from Stratford, but 35 miles from Bath and 44 miles from Southampton the ultimate destination, however the itinerary for that day definitely says return to your hotel in Stratford-upon-Avon, however it also says you will be checking in, but why would you check into a hotel your already staying in? Day 5 sees a visit to our local City of Bath which is again 85 miles from Stratford and about half way to Southampton, there is nothing in the description to suggest that the hotel for that evening is other than in Stratford. Day 6 sees the transfer to the ship from the hotel which assuming is still in Stratford is a distance of 120 miles.

However the little route map that accompanies the description shows something completely different!

There are obviously errors in the itinerary but bearing in mind the cost of this tour  I would expect the information available to be accurate which it’s obvious not, a link to this tour follows.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/land-program/historical-england

Edited by Riocca

5 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Not trying to press the point, however I have just looked at the 5 day Historical England tour offered pre or post Southampton cruises. The cost is an eye watering £4156pp but from the error strewn description it’s going to be mostly driving about. First day is in London which is ok, day two starts with a visit to Highclere Castle apparently home to the tv series Upstairs Downstairs! I’m sure Downton Abbey fans are unaware of that.

Base hotel for the rest of the trip according to the trip description is in Stratford-upon-Avon, a beautiful part of the country and in the north of the Cotswolds. Day 3 sees an exploration of Stratford in the morning and after lunch an exploration of Cotswold villages, although the accompanying picture shows Castle Combe in Wiltshire about 80 miles from Stratford but only 12 miles from Bath which is visited on day five. Day 4 the visit is to Stonehenge which is 120 miles from Stratford, but 35 miles from Bath and 44 miles from Southampton the ultimate destination, however the itinerary for that day definitely says return to your hotel in Stratford-upon-Avon, however it also says you will be checking in, but why would you check into a hotel your already staying in? Day 5 sees a visit to our local City of Bath which is again 85 miles from Stratford and about half way to Southampton, there is nothing in the description to suggest that the hotel for that evening is other than in Stratford. Day 6 sees the transfer to the ship from the hotel which assuming is still in Stratford is a distance of 120 miles.

However the little route map that accompanies the description shows something completely different!

There are obviously errors in the itinerary but bearing in mind the cost of this tour  I would expect the information available to be accurate which it’s obvious not, a link to this tour follows.

Maybe they should employ you has a consultant with local  knowledge, for a exorbitant fee of course.

• Like 1

Just now, Riocca said:

John, it fair boggles the mind that Azamara could be so amateurish over such an expensive tour as this. It makes one wonder what details are wrong on other tours. 

Phil 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Maybe they should employ you has a consultant with local  knowledge, for a exorbitant fee of course.

..and the main picture shows Pulteney Bridge in Bath. One would think that a picture from Stratford would be in order. But Ann Hathaway’s Cottage, ..that is priceless. 🤪

I too was wondering how accurate things would be and to test if this was a really different product from the usual land discoveries mistakes I checked out local itineraries.  One of the descriptions for Edinburgh said Prestonfield House Hotel was a stones throw from the Royal Mile - I have never known anyone throw a stone over a mile have you?  

I too was thinking of moving into the guiding and planning business 🙂 

Several of the tours have variable number nights so bear in mind also the prices are "from" so the higher number of nights will be a much higher cost.

Oh and the hotel group is Principal (but lets be honest they were merged into IHG a year ago) not Pincipal as the flyer says.  

I seriously cannot believe anyone would go for the 2 night Stay Local for $1380 per person.  It is basically a two night stay with one day of touring (standard One Day Edinburgh itinerary) meal in a local restaurant (good but not Michelin of which we have several) and the simple transfer to the ship which is about 1.5 miles from the hotel.  At least the pictures shown for it are valid.

Its disappointing there is so much inaccuracies.

• Haha 1

If people will pay these prices good on them but it needs to be 5 star quality from end to end starting with the brochures and web content. Perhaps a little more attention to detail on the customer information and a little less attention to the marketing blogs etc might be a better balance of time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, uktog said:

If people will pay these prices good on them but it needs to be 5 star quality from end to end starting with the brochures and web content. Perhaps a little more attention to detail on the customer information and a little less attention to the marketing blogs etc might be a better balance of time. 

Absolutely right!

2 hours ago, Lottie A said:

But given that Azamara were advertising a tour to see The Colossus of Rhodes a year ago....should we really be surprised? 😂

For my upcoming b2b cruises in Jan-Feb, we will be in Wellington NZ on both segments.

This shore excursion is currently being sold exactly the same for both:

Nocturnal Native Wildlife

Get up close to native New Zealand wildlife during this incredible encounter at Zealandia. This exceptional sanctuary, named for the unified land mass of New Zealand and Tasmania, is also known locally as Te Māra a Tāne or the garden of the Māori creator of trees and plants. The park has more than flora, though. See an interactive exhibition with a knowledgeable guide who shares fun facts about local animals before leading a journey down the sanctuary valley by torch light to experience an authentic New Zealand bush walk. The sights and sounds of nature light up the night on this exciting excursion. Look for kiwis and other endemic species like the glow worm, the tuatara, a spiny lizard and the kaka, a member of the parrot family. This nocturnal adventure is a night to remember. WL62

Since Journey is staying in port late, this sounds like a lot of fun in the dark, right?

Here’s the nonsense: it lasts 2.5 hours and begins at 1:50pm!

I called Azamara and the start time was confirmed.

Cherchez l’erreur...

• Haha 1

From the same b2b, both with a New Zealand ports of call focus:

Although not yet in the Voyage Planner, the two AzAmazing evenings look to both end up being chamber orchestra/choir concerts. The first segment ends in Auckland, and that segment’s concert will likely be in a church in Wellington, duration of one hour. The second segment’s is going to be something very similar in Hobart (Australia).

With 6 ports of call in NZ on the first cruise, and 8 on the New Zealand Intensive second cruise, where is the Maori cultural event that they advertise by photo whenever AzAmazing Evenings are referenced in conjunction with New Zealand itineraries??

How disappointing and lacklustre is a one-hour chamber orchestra/choir in comparison to what could easily be a truly unique cultural event?!

Before they start disappointing their land journeys guests, they need to better meet the land expectations of their guests at sea, who expect more out of their [marketed for] land experiences that are supposed to be part of their overall cruising experience - especially since Azamara is now using this as their major distinction in the cruise marketplace.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Riocca said:

I am from the states and i know this makes no sense. I have stayed in  Bath and Stratford. I left the ship and  gone sightseeing to airport or from hotel to ship. Seems like you are living in a bus and not seeing much at all. Sounds like they need a better location for a hotel. Also I would think one would love to stay in Bath.

For  the comment on 5 star hotels with using Tours by Local  I tend to use them  a lot.   i have looked at the barcelona one and just laugh. seems  a lot of food and wine but no real sightseeing at all. 

Robin