What side of the ship should I book? Solstice Dawes Glacier Cruise

LeCricket

Hi!  My husband and I just decided that we might switch our next Caribbean cruise for an Alaskan cruise.  Leaving from Seattle on Solstice.  I would like to know if anyone prefers a certain side of the ship over another, or if we should go aft?  We like aft balconies, but I'm really about the best views on this trip, of course.  What would you do?

I am sure this question has been asked before, but the "new to me" format of Cruise Critic is hindering my search.  Old dog, new tricks, and all that.  :)  Don't know when it changed, but I don't like it so far.

17 minutes ago, LeCricket said:

Hi!  My husband and I just decided that we might switch our next Caribbean cruise for an Alaskan cruise.  Leaving from Seattle on Solstice.  I would like to know if anyone prefers a certain side of the ship over another, or if we should go aft?  We like aft balconies, but I'm really about the best views on this trip, of course.  What would you do?

I am sure this question has been asked before, but the "new to me" format of Cruise Critic is hindering my search.  Old dog, new tricks, and all that.  🙂 Don't know when it changed, but I don't like it so far.

In  Alaska if you can definitely book Aft, this way you can see both sides since wildlife moves and may not be there on the return.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

For the Dawes Glacier, you cruise into the fjord, look at the glacier if you get that far in, turn around and cruise out of the fjord.  So side of the ship makes little difference.  An aft balcony would be a good choice if you don't mind the walking (very far from the elevators) and the fact that I don't think those balconies have much cover on the Solstice.  I just did this cruise in May.  We were on the starboard side, but I chose that for the cabin I wanted, originally a 1A with a large balcony, and then we moved to a CC with the same large balcony.  Those balconies have good cover if you happen to go when it's raining.  But you can also stand at the railing and be completely out in the open.

• Like 1

We have cruised to Alaska 3 times on 3 different lines and we always try to book the starboard side if we can't book an aft-facing cabin. If you look at your itinerary you will see if you are on the port side, most of the time you will just be looking at water from your balcony.

I don't really see that it matters that much.  Just back, and we had an aft room.   It's only for that reason that we spent a lot of time on our balcony.   Otherwise, we probably would not have been in our room much.   Sometimes port side was better and at other times starboard.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

For the Dawes Glacier, you cruise into the fjord, look at the glacier if you get that far in, turn around and cruise out of the fjord.  So side of the ship makes little difference.  An aft balcony would be a good choice if you don't mind the walking (very far from the elevators) and the fact that I don't think those balconies have much cover on the Solstice.  I just did this cruise in May.  We were on the starboard side, but I chose that for the cabin I wanted, originally a 1A with a large balcony, and then we moved to a CC with the same large balcony.  Those balconies have good cover if you happen to go when it's raining.  But you can also stand at the railing and be completely out in the open.

Hi there :)   we're booked in an aft sky suite on deck 12 on the Solstice next year for Alaska...  I thought that cabin would have at least a bit of cover from the outdoor buffet seating from the deck above...   going to be disappointed if I've made a big mistake, but I still could switch to a side cabin if needed.   This will our 3rd cruise on Solstice, so you'd think I'd know this, but I honestly never  paid attention to the aft cabins on S class :)   thanks in advance if you have any insights.  :)

We had a aft cabin on our Alaska Cruise and loved having the views of both sides . We found the ship protected us from the wind when on the balcony.  We had sunny but very cool weather and with the ship blocking the wind we were on the balcony with long sleeve shirts, no jacket.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back today from our Alaska cruise on Solstice. We had the starboard side corner sky suite on deck 8. There is a wraparound balcony that offers great views. We spent a lot of time on our balcony, making great use of our binoculars. As was mentioned previously, the captain will rotate the ship when you are close to the glacier so you will have an opportunity to see everything. BTW...we had the same cabin on deck 10 five years ago and loved it so much that we decided to do it again.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:00 PM, LeCricket said:

I am sure this question has been asked before, but the "new to me" format of Cruise Critic is hindering my search.  Old dog, new tricks, and all that.  🙂 Don't know when it changed, but I don't like it so far.

If you are visiting a glacier, it really does not matter as the ship  turns around.  A great viewing area is the Sky Lounge where they will have coffee, tea, hot chocolate and breakfast snacks.  There are many people outside taking in the clean air and views.  

If you are sailing the the inside passage it is like traveling from LV to Reno.  Once you seen the first mile you seen all the rest.

We had a balcony and as others have wrote it doesn’t matter as the ship will turn.   Actually it is best to just be on a top open deck viewing the glaciers.  Take a jacket or robe and gloves.  It gets a little chilly.  And if possible take a helicopter tour that will land on a glacier.   We booked a tour ourself and was in a bubble type that carried 4 passengers and the pilot.  Walking on the glacier was fascinating to see how dirty they are and the deep and wide crevices.  Being in a smaller chopper the pilot also took us up close to the glacier cliffs.   Well worth the money.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1