Convince us not to cancel our Azamara cruise

sailco

I agree it makes no sense to convince someone to do or not to do something that is so subjective and constantly shifting. As I have posted before, we have wanted to upgrade from Azamara to a luxury line like Seabourn or Crystal the past several years but have been unable to get the itinerary we want at the travel dates we want at a price equal or even close to Azamara’s club continent suites with similar amenities. Granted I do not like the marketing price gimmicks and have to book and wait for the price to drop but on the past 3 Azamara bookings the price we ended up paying was much less than the price we originally booked at and we get the suite location we want booking a year early.

I know waiting until the last minute will yield much lower pricing but I like the piece of mind of knowing what we are going to get at a price we are willing to pay regardless of what others might pay. To each their own.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 1:06 PM, JVNYC said:

I am "holding" a 14 day - 2021 Pursuit cruise roundtrip Rome (7 day Italy intensive and 7 day France intensive).  I'm holding a V2 category.  Love the itinerary.  Not thrilled it's in August, but I can work with that.  The price is $1114 per day for 2 people.  Seriously....that's high for a non-luxury brand and an older ship and one that does not include premium drinks.  Anyone else agree?  This would be my first Azamara.  Not sure I'm booking it now.

I agree that is a high price.  I haven’t sailed on the Pursuit but sailed on the Journey late last year in a V2 at $625 per night for 2.  Overall we were disappointed.  After reading about the wonderful food we found the food in the MDR was ok not great. We disliked the MDR due the waits to be seated and noisy with a few hundred eating in a crowded space.  The included drinks were ok but the included wines weren’t good.  Entertainment was so-so and the bars and lounges were dead.

The shore excursions we did were poorly organized but once underway were good. Service was very good, the White Night was fun and breakfast on the balcony was a nice way to start a port day.

We would cruise Azamara again but only for a special itinerary and not at a  price   near $1100 per night

• Like 2

On 6/27/2019 at 11:34 AM, florisdekort said:

In my opinion the answer to your question depends on  your expectations.  If based on your past cruises and the high price Azamara is charging you expect a Seabourn / Silversea experience, you’re in for a disappointment as Azamara is not a true luxury line.  If based on your past cruises you expect a step up from Celebrity or HAL, then you’ll have a great time sailing Azamara. 

Azamara’s main dining room food is fine and a step up from Celebrity.  The included alcohol is a nice touch compared to Celebrity but quite poor compared to what’s included on the true luxury lines.  Yes the ships are old but very well maintained.  There’s no denying the showers are horrid.  Shore excursions are the same on every cruise line - trodding behind a lollipop in groups of 40 - not for me.  The service on board is generally excellent and the staff super friendly and engaged; the smaller ship environment further contributes to that.  I’m not a fan of Azamazing evenings (hoarding 650 people around isn’t my thing) but most seem to love them.  I would not worry about where White night is held; the ship makes a decision on that each sailing based on the weather on the day. 

Floris 

Having cruised on Quest to the Middle East in the past you are right, however we did an excellent cruise on Celebrity Infinity which was just as good . Perhaps the money spent on the Den could have gone towards ridding the cursed shower curtains, Just a  thought. Personally for us we go for the Itinerary first and then find the best ship that are doing it.

2 hours ago, chromered7 said:

Having cruised on Quest to the Middle East in the past you are right, however we did an excellent cruise on Celebrity Infinity which was just as good . Perhaps the money spent on the Den could have gone towards ridding the cursed shower curtains, Just a  thought. Personally for us we go for the Itinerary first and then find the best ship that are doing it.

We love the M Class ships on Celebrity, especially aqua cabins.  We're looking forward to our first Azamara cruise, but we're always good with Celebrity.  As for "the den", there doesn't appear to be anything too exciting in it.  Can't see spending much time there.

25 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

We love the M Class ships on Celebrity, especially aqua cabins.  We're looking forward to our first Azamara cruise, but we're always good with Celebrity.  As for "the den", there doesn't appear to be anything too exciting in it.  Can't see spending much time there.

Len, please a "Live From Quest" thread when you do the Asia cruise in the fall??

1 hour ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Len, please a "Live From Quest" thread when you do the Asia cruise in the fall??

I should have enough free time on the sea days (and I'm getting the wifi package), so why not?

Everyone pays different prices for travel.....hotels, airfare, cruises, etc.. The earlier you book a cruise, the better the selection of cabins. In many cases if the price drops before final payment, you can get a price adjustment.  Azamara is usually more expensive than the big mass market ships.  It is worth it.  Just sailed on Quest.  On cruisecritic you will read about the good and the bad things that happen on a cruise. Azamara staff really tries to please. They have the right attitude.  We had a great time on our cruise. We ate lots of good food, enjoyed some of the entertainment, liked most of the ports, met lots of nice people, and had fun.  

Don't cancel your cruise.  

• Like 4