Just a reminder to everyone

1025cruise

3 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

We only do anytime dining. If we decide not to eat in the MDR, we don't have to feel guilty about abandoning perfect strangers or checking in with anyone about our dinner choices.  

And I think that is just one of the reasons why it was introduced in the first place.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mom says said:

IMO fixed seating should go the way of the dodo. It's time has passed. Or perhaps it can be relegated to one small segment of the MDR and limited to only those few who vow to never eat elsewhere, on pain of public shunning.

Not true at all. Our last 12 night cruise on Independence the MTD room was empty everynight when we sat down at 8 pm in the upper deck. Allure of the seas seats 4000 a night in traditional and  2000 in MTD.  Hardest reservation to get on any ship is 5:30 traditional.  More couples seem to enjoy company then eat alone.  

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Allure of the seas seats 4000 a night in traditional and  2000 in MTD.  

The idea of those numbers of diners makes me want to puke. 😞 

Our table mates NEVER showed up at the late seating and we asked for some accommodation- Crickets... So, we met a lovely British couple who had an extra two seats at their joyous table, and they invited us to join them. We did so WITHOUT PERMISSION.  The new waiter said nothing and our former one didn't seem happy, but sometimes it is better to do something and then apologize rather than ask permission. 

On 6/29/2019 at 12:02 PM, 1025cruise said:

With NCL being the major exception, when you cruise on any of the mainstream cruise lines you are assigned a spot in the MDR for dinner. You either will have early dining, late dining, or "my time dining". For the most part, you will have selected which option you have. In some case, you might be assigned a time not of your choosing, if your first choice is full.

In addition, just about all ships offer dinner at the Lido buffet, or in specialty restaurants (extra cost). You might even have a package deal for multiple specialty restaurants. Please note that even if you do this, you still have seats assigned in the MDR.

If you decide you will not be using your seats in the MDR (prefer Lido, plan to eat in specialty restaurants each night, whatever the reason) please let the Maitre D know, preferably the first or second day. There are a couple of reasons for this:

1. If you are assigned to early dining, there is probably a waitlist for people wanting early dining. You still have seats there. Letting the Maitre D know you won't be using them will allow them to accommodate other guests to get their preference.

2. You might have tablemates that are looking forward to meeting you. By letting the Maitre D know you won't be coming, they can accommodate the other guests.

We just got off of a cruise where we were seated at a table of 8, and were the only people to show up each night. Because the other seats were assigned, and the other guests might show, there was nothing the Maitre D could do for us. We were quite lonely at the large table. We had the same thing happen to us last year.  

Thank you.

Had this happen on my one and only RC cruise. We were seated at a table for 10 and no one showed up. On the second night, asked if there were other ppl joining us and were told no-one else was assigned to the table. Asked to be moved to a different table and was told no, they could not move us!

The OP has a very valid point.  If aren’t going to eat in the MDR let the matre d know.  It makes it easier for everyone.  Particularly if there is a waiting list for your seating.

Also if you aren’t planning on eating in the MDR and the only options on the form are early, late, don’t care.  Pick don’t care, that way you will be assigned the less popular one.  (Cruise lines really should add an option allowing for telling them you won’t be using the MDR)

In addition to what the OP said it also reduces waste.  If they cook meals for 1000 and only 500 people show up, that is a lot of needless trash.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:35 AM, ldubs said:

Yeah.   It seems like two reasonable suggestions to me.    Kind of a common courtesy really.    

Unfortunately, common courtesy isn't so common. ☹

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

Unfortunately, common courtesy isn't so common. ☹

Here is my take:  I can totally understand a person not even thinking about telling someone they are going to the buffet instead of the MDR, if they hadn’t read this thread or similar.  But once you are aware of the implications and still don’t, then it is impolite.

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

5.30 -6 pm does seem to be very popular.

Depends on the make up of the cruisers.  Older folks and families prefer the early.  Younger couples and singles tend to prefer later.

3 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Depends on the make up of the cruisers.  Older folks and families prefer the early.  Younger couples and singles tend to prefer later.

IME, it is more common for the majority of cruisers to fit into the first category.

• Like 1

Just now, MicCanberra said:

IME, it is more common for the majority of cruisers to fit into the first category.

I've always been an early-to-bed person.  And if we've been ashore all day I don't want to dine at whatever they consider "late."  BTW what are the typical early and late times?  

5 minutes ago, clo said:

I've always been an early-to-bed person.  And if we've been ashore all day I don't want to dine at whatever they consider "late."  BTW what are the typical early and late times?  

It depends on the line and may even vary for a particular cruise, however, most have early dining at 6 pm but some lines have moved to 5.30pm, Late dining is then 8.30pm or the 8pm giving the diners around 2 hours and the waiters 1/2 hour to prepare the table again. Anytime is generally starts from at 6pm but again, some lines have 5.30m. Theoretically the dining room is open all night but they generally do not like to start service after 9.30pm.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

It depends on the line and may even vary for a particular cruise, however, most have early dining at 6 pm but some lines have moved to 5.30pm, Late dining is then 8.30pm or the 8pm giving the diners around 2 hours and the waiters 1/2 hour to prepare the table again. Anytime is generally starts from at 6pm but again, some lines have 5.30m. Theoretically the dining room is open all night but they generally do not like to start service after 9.30pm.

That's pretty much what I was remembering.  Starting at 8 or 830 means at least an hour and that's just too late for me.  We sailed with Hurtigruten in March and we got assigned late.  I begged for earlier because I had taken a hard fall prior to the trip and was in constant pain.  This is a small ship (100 pax) so I can see they were having a problem.  But I finally got a tad huffy and said "then fine.  I won't be having dinner at all."  They found an early seating for us.

1 hour ago, LakeSideKen said:

Good passive-aggressive move, Clo. 

Not passive at all 🙂  And I really meant it.  I was in so much pain that there was no way I could do the late dining. I obviously and finally got their attention.

22 hours ago, ed01106 said:

LOL, I suspect you may be correct.  While I'm "older" for sure, I do not like having dinner at 5:30. If I had to choose between early and late dining slots, I would opt for late.   Unfortunately, we often travel in a family group and I am out voted routinely.  Haha