Just a reminder to everyone

1025cruise

With NCL being the major exception, when you cruise on any of the mainstream cruise lines you are assigned a spot in the MDR for dinner. You either will have early dining, late dining, or "my time dining". For the most part, you will have selected which option you have. In some case, you might be assigned a time not of your choosing, if your first choice is full.

In addition, just about all ships offer dinner at the Lido buffet, or in specialty restaurants (extra cost). You might even have a package deal for multiple specialty restaurants. Please note that even if you do this, you still have seats assigned in the MDR.

If you decide you will not be using your seats in the MDR (prefer Lido, plan to eat in specialty restaurants each night, whatever the reason) please let the Maitre D know, preferably the first or second day. There are a couple of reasons for this:

1. If you are assigned to early dining, there is probably a waitlist for people wanting early dining. You still have seats there. Letting the Maitre D know you won't be using them will allow them to accommodate other guests to get their preference.

2. You might have tablemates that are looking forward to meeting you. By letting the Maitre D know you won't be coming, they can accommodate the other guests.

We just got off of a cruise where we were seated at a table of 8, and were the only people to show up each night. Because the other seats were assigned, and the other guests might show, there was nothing the Maitre D could do for us. We were quite lonely at the large table. We had the same thing happen to us last year.  

Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

...We just got off of a cruise where we were seated at a table of 8, and were the only people to show up each night. Because the other seats were assigned, and the other guests might show, there was nothing the Maitre D could do for us. We were quite lonely at the large table. We had the same thing happen to us last year.  

Thank you.

Coincidence or not. 😜

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

We just got off of a cruise where we were seated at a table of 8, and were the only people to show up each night. Because the other seats were assigned, and the other guests might show, there was nothing the Maitre D could do for us. We were quite lonely at the large table. We had the same thing happen to us last year.  

After the second night, I would have asked the Maitre d to switch tables.  We like dining with others, also.  Once cruise we were seated at at 4 top, with a couple that did't show up the first night.  Second night - still a no show.  Maitre d asked if we wanted to be seated with others, and we said yes.

Next night we had been moved to a 6 top with one couple who changed from late seating, and another couple that had been seated alone who wanted a larger table.  We had a totally great time the rest of the cruise at that table.  

• Like 3

That could be good or bad, wife wanted a table for two but we could not get it , so we were at a table for six , two seats were empty all cruise, other couple had issue with waitresses and moved so we had a very large table for two. Maitre D watched waitress like a hawk so service was fine. 

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

After the second night, I would have asked the Maitre d to switch tables.  We like dining with others, also.  Once cruise we were seated at at 4 top, with a couple that did't show up the first night.  Second night - still a no show.  Maitre d asked if we wanted to be seated with others, and we said yes.

Next night we had been moved to a 6 top with one couple who changed from late seating, and another couple that had been seated alone who wanted a larger table.  We had a totally great time the rest of the cruise at that table.  

On the first night, as we were leaving I asked if we were supposed to have table mates and was told it was a full table. On the second night I asked again and was told that it would be hard to move us as most tables were already full. We were eventually told that the other people had young kids and didn’t want to eat late, so were eating upstairs in Lido.

This is the reality of cruising nowadays, people want anytime dining, Specialty restaurants, buffets are better and many want to sit alone. Perhaps you should reassess your dining preferences.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Do you talk about politics or religion?  That could explain it, lol (just kidding).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Cunard (Britannia class ) is the only mainstream US mass market line which automatically assigns tables.  In my experience, you have to specifically request assigned dining - otherwise, you are free to eat when/where you want.

Edited by navybankerteacher

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think Cunard (Britannia class ) is the only mainstream US mass market line which automatically assigns tables.  In my experience, you have to specifically request assigned dining - otherwise, you are free to eat when/where you want.

Well, there's only assigned dining on DCL.   That said, you are certainly free not to go to the MDR for dinner, regardless of having an assigned time.

7 hours ago, dkjretired said:

This is the reality of cruising nowadays, people want anytime dining, Specialty restaurants, buffets are better and many want to sit alone. Perhaps you should reassess your dining preferences.

Not sure how you would reassess your preferences when you get a table you want and table mates don’t show.

12 minutes ago, wineforhealth said:

Not sure how you would reassess your preferences when you get a table you want and table mates don’t show.

If I get the table I want, it's a 2 top, so I'm perfectly satisfied. On those occasions when we are feeling particularly deprived of conversation we simply ask to join a larger table. Such are the benefits of anytime dining.  One need never feel stranded or abandoned. And no one need feel guilty for abandoning supposedly self sufficient adult strangers and forcing them to dine without a full table.

IMO fixed seating should go the way of the dodo. It's time has passed. Or perhaps it can be relegated to one small segment of the MDR and limited to only those few who vow to never eat elsewhere, on pain of public shunning.

• Like 2

If we were seated in a fixed dining and it was a large table with no shows, I wouldn't mind as we usually dine alone. However, If we did mind, I would firstly speak to the Maitre' de and if still no resolution, then just join another table that has at least two spare seats and ask the waiters and people at that table if we could join them that night.

My preference is anytime dining but if assigned a set time my level of planning is not such that I would preemptively rule out any option at the beginning.  It is possible we might not be in the MDR but would prefer to preserve the option.

18 hours ago, c-boy said:

💪  tough crowd in here today    

Yeah.   It seems like two reasonable suggestions to me.    Kind of a common courtesy really.    

• Like 2