No more prime rib?

rsail203

4 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

I sailed for a month on the Eclipse last spring. I did not enjoy any of the beef except the kids filet offered on the kids menu. I read about it on cruise critic before I left  on the cruise.  I found the other cuts of beef inferior so I tried it and this became my go to meal when I did not like the other offerings on the menu. It is 6 ounces and you can add any side. It comes with fries which were pretty good but I usually changed it out for something else. 

Is it not the same quality of beef filet, but in a smaller size?  How could it be better than a full size filet?

22 hours ago, Gonzo70 said:

My favorite faux modern luxury experience on Celebrity was when I ordered the upcharge room service omelette that stated it came with Ossetra caviar. It came with orange colored fish roe (was Masago) which retails for about 1% the cost of Ossetra caviar. 

On Edge I was pleasantly surprised to not see anything false advertised as Kobe. 

My favorite US beef is Carlisle Beef; it is a crossbreed between imported Japanese cattle and higher end US cattle. Very impressive marbling and amazing flavor and texture. Certainly not equivalent of A5 Wagyu, but much better than typical US Prime. The son of the farmer owns/operates an outstanding restaurant in Milwaukee called Ardent and always features a tartare course and a steak course with his father’s beef on the tasting menu. 

I believe the faux caviar was mentioned at the time also now you mention it. 

We don't have anything quite like the USDA standard system here unfortunately. But here Angus (purebred not crossed with other breeds) and possibly Hereford cattle would be breeds responsible for some of our best beef. I hunt sika and red deer (very similar to what you guys call Elk) here so end up eating a lot of venison and other game, this results in beef often tasting bland compared to game, which is were we come to food being subjective. Many people will order fillet mignon, all very nice if cooked correctly but it has less 'beefy' flavour than a well marbled cut all IMHO of course. 

So if I was wanting flavousome beef I'd want grass fed meat that's been hung long enough so you can enjoy a stronger flavour. An aged  cut with plenty of yellow marbling would be a good starting point. Then you hope the chef does his job well.... 

I have some very small interests in the UK beef industry working with a couple of farmers financing the purchase of young calves to be reared on. Almost all are low grade crosses destined to be sold in supermarkets but we do rear the odd 'special' animal for ourselves which is fun. :)

Apologies to the OP for going so far off topic! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

No apologies necessary. I'm thinking about ordering the kid's filet on my next cruise. I wonder if you can order 2 filets so you have an 8 ounce meal?

You can order two, three or four if you want. It won't be a problem at all. 

1 hour ago, Mynki said:

You can order two, three or four if you want. It won't be a problem at all. 

😁. LOL.  What are the chances they will all be cooked to medium rare?  

I’m hungry for some elk.  Can I get it on Celebrity?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

6 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

In my experience you generally have to order something "Extremely rare, barely cooked" on Celebrity to have a fighting chance of obtaining meat cooked medium-rare. I did an unscientific poll my last couple cruises and this was the results:

When ordering "Extremely rare, barely cooked" the actual temperature was:

Rare: 10%

Medium Rare: 30%

Medium: 25%

Medium Well: 15%

Well Done: 10%

When ordering "Medium rare" the actual temperature was:

Rare: 0%

Medium Rare: 5%

Medium: 30%

Medium Well: 40%

Well Done: 25%

I agree to get medium rare I would definitely order rare .  They will bring you how many you order no problem .  I’m allergic to shellfish and fish so many of the appetizers I could not eat. They brought me fresh fruit every day as an appetizer and had it ready when we got to the dining room.  

1 hour ago, Gonzo70 said:

In my experience you generally have to order something "Extremely rare, barely cooked" on Celebrity to have a fighting chance of obtaining meat cooked medium-rare. I did an unscientific poll my last couple cruises and this was the results:

When ordering "Extremely rare, barely cooked" the actual temperature was:

Rare: 10%

Medium Rare: 30%

Medium: 25%

Medium Well: 15%

Well Done: 10%

When ordering "Medium rare" the actual temperature was:

Rare: 0%

Medium Rare: 5%

Medium: 30%

Medium Well: 40%

Well Done: 25%

Yes, I found your observation to be true.  I must order rare to get medium rare.

Do you think it is possible to order steak or Prime Rib prepared Black and Blue?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On 7/2/2019 at 6:34 PM, jelayne said:

Until you get within a week or so of your cruise the menus aren’t accurate.  We are currently on the Summit and had prime rib last night, which for us was Day 5,

Jelayne, do you if that is true of all the dining rooms or MDR only?

I’ve looked at the Equinox menu a couple of times and it doesn’t seem to change, and I thought they used at least a 2 week rotation

Edited by cangelmd

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

Jelayne, do you if that is true of all the dining rooms or MDR only?

I’ve looked at the Equinox menu a couple of times and it doesn’t seem to change, and I thought they used at least a 2 week rotation

There are 14 menus,. They normally start with Menu 1. If you do a B2B  with 7 day itineraries you'll normally have the same menus both weeks. If you have a 10 day cruise you'll have 10 different menus. I say "normally" since the Executive Chef may choose to change the menus based on supplies or preferences.

On 7/4/2019 at 10:25 AM, chefchick said:

Blu has Ribeye rather than prime rib.

If dining in Blu, can I ask for Prime Rib?  I love the idea of the quieter, more intimate atmosphere of Blu, but the menus don’t always sound great...The service is “better” there (in general) correct?  I will be solo on the Solstice, can someone alleviate my fears that the extra $ I spent for Aqua class was a good idea?

At lease on Summit you can order from the MDR menu while dining in Blu.   They don't offer the menu to you but it is available if requested.   We are not big meat eaters and one night our waiter suggested a nice 4 ounce Filet available every night from the Children's Menu.   Perfect size and delicious.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

We ordered ours both Medium Rare and Rare.    All came out perfectly cooked.

1 hour ago, Orator said:

There are 14 menus,. They normally start with Menu 1. If you do a B2B  with 7 day itineraries you'll normally have the same menus both weeks. If you have a 10 day cruise you'll have 10 different menus. I say "normally" since the Executive Chef may choose to change the menus based on supplies or preferences.

Agree with you - normally.    Our last b2b on Summit two 11 night cruises (last month) they had the same menu last day of cruise 1 and 1st day of cruise 2.   Our waiter was really helpful in finding us something from the MDR menu for us.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:19 AM, Gonzo70 said:

I believe that other than for Galapagos sailings, the beef is sourced from the US regardless of where the ship sails from (the Galapagos requires local sourcing - the beef is considerably better on Galapagos sailings). 

Gonzo - While I will not debate your statements regarding the quality of beef on X in general, I will suggest from direct experience that the beef served on Xpedition in the Galapagos (and sourced from those islands) is notoriously inferior to that served on any other ship on which we have cruised.  Even the hotel director on the ship made jokes (and apologies) about the quality of the Galapagos beef, along with most of the other locally-sourced products. 

The Galapagos experience on X is quite excellent as a total experience; but the dining experience is the emphatic weak link.   You might wish to add some research regarding beef production in Ecuador to your apparent expertise in beef production in Japan and the U.S.

Edited by freddie
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

In Tuscan Grille 0% based on my own experience!

Blu serves 'venison' once per cruise. No idea if it's Elk or another species though. 

4 hours ago, billydog said:

It's really hard to believe there are 4 pages of comments on the lack, or otherwise,  of prime rib.  If ever there was a First World problem this is a good example. 

Four pages on an imaginary problem.......

Cruise Critic is about asking questions and hopefully without judgement. No one knows what “first world problems” people are dealing with at home. For us the planning and dreaming about the vacation helps us get through doctors appointments and treatments . So asking about a good cut of meat when no food sounds good gives us something else to think about. I am amazed at the judgement that is thrown around. I am happy to answer questions and hopefully get answers myself when needed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Cruise Critic is about asking questions and hopefully without judgement. No one knows what “first world problems” people are dealing with at home. For us the planning and dreaming about the vacation helps us get through doctors appointments and treatments . So asking about a good cut of meat when no food sounds good gives us something else to think about. I am amazed at the judgement that is thrown around. I am happy to answer questions and hopefully get answers myself when needed. 

Sorry about what is going on in your life. I hope whoever is sick gets well soon!  🙏 I’m glad this forum helps take your mind off things for a little while!

• Like 1