Standard Menu Items (MDR) - Which do you enjoy?

ssymyroz

This is only our second cruise.  When we last went (2006), we discovered at the end of our cruise that the standard menu items were quite tasty.

So, my question is which of the standard menu items in the MDR do you enjoy?

Honestly, most is very good.  We are currently on the constellation...select dining.  A couple of disappointments...the chopped salad that wasn’t chopped, the inedible always on the menu steak.... but soups, tuna, beef stew, turkey and so on have really been good.     The onion soup is now a mix of beef and chicken broths and a step down from the previous beef broth only soup (I asked which is why I know the base changed)....sorry, I don’t like the current onion soup.  Bread sticks are wonderful. Creme brûlée is terrific....not on the menu but you can ask for fresh berries or fruit for dessert. If you like anchovies, ask for them on the Caesar salad (not mentioned on the menu).  Lamb dishes are generally very good. Btw, you can order multiple appetizers, an extra main dish to share....another lobster tail, etc.   

btw...for lunch, try the Indian offerings...they are almost always excellent.  The smoked salmon for breakfast..great...but skips what they call bagels. Avoid corned beef hash.  

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by ghstudio

I rarely order from the everyday classics side of the menu, since I find the changing  daily offerings much more interesting. Occasionally I'll order the escargot as an appetizer, or the creme brulee or cheesecake for dessert.

On the first day of our first X cruise last month (Equinox), my husband had a pork chop from the  lunch buffet that he raved about.  The MDR had a pork chop on the menu that evening, so I gave it a try.  Pork can easily be overcooked and dry, but this chop was delicious.

I honestly enjoyed everything in the MDR...really good experience and prefer variety. I tried almost everything and with multiple courses if one course was disappointing it would still be great when factoring in the entire meal.

Mushroom soup, usually offered on the first night, is superb.  Also love the breadsticks, ice cream (rum raisin, peanut butter, fruit sorbets), creme brulee, most lamb dishes, cookies from Al Bacio.  Wish I were aboard right now!

The onion soup is quite good, hope they haven’t changed it. I don’t like most of the desserts, except a few chocolate ones, but the ice creams, sorbets and gelato are usually all good.

I also consider the shrimp cocktail to be barely edible, but that’s because I live on the Gulf Coast, and while we do occasionally eat flash frozen shrimp, it doesn’t belong in a shrimp cocktail, too slimy. Most of the fish dishes I’ve had were fairly good, the fish holds up better to freezing. The vegetarian options are quite variable - I was on a 15 day cruise and ordered veggie a couple of times to break things up, one was good, one was bizarre and hard to even eat.

The food in La Petit Chef is surprisingly good - bouillabaisse was top notch, just pour up the leftover broth - and the filet was one of the best steaks they served.

I haven’t been in MDR in a long time, so I have to speak to other venues. The OVC is head and shoulders above RCCL - the Indian food, the carving station and breads, salad bar and pizza. The secret to the pizza is to hover around until a fresh pie comes up, those are great. The hard working guys making the pizza probably never saw one until they started working the pizza station, so occasionally some veggie gets put on it that seems a little, ah creative, shall we say, so one piece of I don’t know pizza and one piece of pepperoni as a back-up!

Hamburgers at Mast Grill are hamburgers, the veggie burgers are pretty good, and make up for some of those other calories. OVC breakfast is about my fav though. I don’t eat eggs by themselves, so breakfast in a restaurant is always a challenge for me. In the buffet I can go around and cobble together the items I really like, and don’t have to explain.

13 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

The onion soup is quite good, hope they haven’t changed it. I don’t like most of the desserts, except a few chocolate ones, but the ice creams, sorbets and gelato are usually all good.

I also consider the shrimp cocktail to be barely edible, but that’s because I live on the Gulf Coast, and while we do occasionally eat flash frozen shrimp, it doesn’t belong in a shrimp cocktail, too slimy. Most of the fish dishes I’ve had were fairly good, the fish holds up better to freezing. The vegetarian options are quite variable - I was on a 15 day cruise and ordered veggie a couple of times to break things up, one was good, one was bizarre and hard to even eat.

The food in La Petit Chef is surprisingly good - bouillabaisse was top notch, just pour up the leftover broth - and the filet was one of the best steaks they served.

I haven’t been in MDR in a long time, so I have to speak to other venues. The OVC is head and shoulders above RCCL - the Indian food, the carving station and breads, salad bar and pizza. The secret to the pizza is to hover around until a fresh pie comes up, those are great. The hard working guys making the pizza probably never saw one until they started working the pizza station, so occasionally some veggie gets put on it that seems a little, ah creative, shall we say, so one piece of I don’t know pizza and one piece of pepperoni as a back-up!

Hamburgers at Mast Grill are hamburgers, the veggie burgers are pretty good, and make up for some of those other calories. OVC breakfast is about my fav though. I don’t eat eggs by themselves, so breakfast in a restaurant is always a challenge for me. In the buffet I can go around and cobble together the items I really like, and don’t have to explain.

Wow, this is exactly what I would have written. I have not eaten in the MDR as my primary dining room, in ages. To be absolutely clear, I had lunch in the MDR on turn around day for a B2B Cruise, on Infinity, in March. I don’t consider that a test of the MDR. When my SO cruises with me, we dine in Luminae. The SO enjoys the beef (steak, prime rib) from the MDR menu and often chooses it over food he does not recognize on the Luminae menu. 

I am especially happy to read your opinion of Le Petite Chef. Food is excellent, the “show” is amusing. No, I don’t want to do this every cruise, but it is a very good way to spend OPC.

Edited by Straughn