Live from Summit

Water709

6 hours ago, sscats said:

Good morning,

Is this type of furniture now on all the balconies on Summit?  

We will be on board this Fall in a concierge cabin and were looking forward to the comfortable chairs from previous cruises.  These do not look comfortable in any way!

Thank you!

They have a table and chairs  like that  on the side/ back of  our local  chinese food take  out place.....they peel veggies out there!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wondering if the person who chose these straight back chairs ever sat in them?  Maybe they should be made to sit out there on them and peel veggies for the cruise?😀  I can't see them paying much attention to the feedback as they have already spent the money to change the balcony furniture to this horrible stuff.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Wondering if the person who chose these straight back chairs ever sat in them?  Maybe they should be made to sit out there on them and peel veggies for the cruise?😀  I can't see them paying much attention to the feedback as they have already spent the money to change the balcony furniture to this horrible stuff.

Two wrongs....

On 7/8/2019 at 1:35 PM, Water709 said:

I doubt you would be allowed to carry on an entire case; the stevedore told me 12 bottles max to carry on.  Where is this rule written? No idea. 

Hmmm... That is a Royal Caribbean rule. I wonder if the stevedore was confused or if Celebrity is following Royal Caribbean's lead?

On 7/8/2019 at 3:16 PM, LA_CA_GAL said:

Water from the tap is fine.  Just about as pure as you can get anywhere.

But, the Water people need bottled water.

I don't like bathroom water. It's not cold and almost impossible to fill a reusable bottle even if I were inclined take one along. However with the drink package I just grab a bottle or two to put them in the room cooler. In the MDR I drink the water poured in the glass as well as ordering plain or sparkling water.

Tonight we splurged and at in the Tuscan Grille.  Last year we weren’t that impressed there but yesterday hubby said he wanted to try somewhere other than Luminae as the menu there was too limited.  The dinner at Tuscan was quite delicious.  We had an excellent server; very prompt and cheerful and efficient!   However one group of diners were unhappy about lack of anyone taking their order after waiting a lengthy time, and made a loud complaint as such to the maitre d. We had chicken parm, eggplant parm and strawberry shortcake for dessert.  The portions were generous and it was a lovely meal.  

This morning I went out on the balcony and looked at the furniture and told my husband I waited six months to be able to sit out on the balcony, and we spent several thousand dollars so I could be comfortable sitting on this every day of vacation while I read my book:

71B725FC-BEA1-4F9C-B66F-02E628D5B7EC.jpeg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Water709 said:

This morning I went out on the balcony and looked at the furniture and told my husband I waited six months to be able to sit out on the balcony, and we spent several thousand dollars so I could be comfortable sitting on this every day of vacation while I read my book:

71B725FC-BEA1-4F9C-B66F-02E628D5B7EC.jpeg

I honestly don’t know what they were thinking!  X has such a good reputation, but this looks cheap and uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

When we got back from dinner I found this on our balcony.  Hubby had unbeknownst to me asked the butler if he could get me a lounger for our balcony!!  Hooray!

4FCB8DF2-5454-4C94-B0E8-854344E6263D.jpeg

Edited by Water709
Missed word
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Just wondering.....when you paid thousands "so I could be comfortable sitting on this every day of vacation while I read my book",  did you find yourself reading the same sentence over and over again as you shifted around to get even more comfortable? This chair looks like furniture from a jail.

We posted at the same time.  What a thoughtful hubby you have!

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 1

I don't understand the furniture.  It just doesn't look comfortable at all.  What in the world were they thinking??

What a nice husband to get you a real lounger.  That looks much better than the junior high school chairs.

Have a great trip.

Ohiodoglover

• Like 2

On 7/7/2019 at 11:38 PM, Water709 said:

Set sail today from Bayonne to Bermuda.  This is our 5th time in Summit.  Last year sailed from Bayonne to Bermuda and New England.  Loved it so much we came back again this year.  

We have the same cabin as last year (Sky Suite, same room).  Big changes post revolutionization!   Cabin is brighter but seems smaller without the wall of mirrors.  We miss the coffee table. Not sure where the butler will put room service. 

Disappointed that flowers and wine we paid to have in our cabin today (as well as chocolate strawberries) required repeated inquiries to have delivered. Still waiting on some items which should’ve been in our cabin upon departure and were paid for well ahead of time.  No flowers and chocolate strawberries did not arrive until after 10 pm and repeated requests.

When we got to port in Bayonne before boarding, and our luggage was taken by the stevedores (whom we tip generously) we were told we could not bring our case of bottled water onboard as luggage which we have done previously.  BIG DISAPPOINTMENT as I have a kidney issue which requires me to drink lots of water constantly and it has never been an issue checking a case of water with a luggage tag on it before (ships luggage tag).  

Otherwise the renovations seem fine, but there is less storage space in our suite. The Retreat is very nice too, tho we liked Michaels Club, it’s still a nice quiet place with great service.  

Just a heads up that bringing a case of water aboard this time was forbidden. 😕. So far a lot of things are falling thru the cracks. We booked this cruise far ahead of time for a big anniversary which is on 7/9.  Hope things improve.  Please no flaming on this post; Im just reporting on our experience so far.  

If you are in a sky suite, didn't you get the all inclusive beverage package?  Water is available on the ship and the bathroom water is safe to drink.  You can go to the bars and get all of the water you want for your stateroom.  Also, I am sure if you asked your butler for a pitcher he could fill it with ice and water.  They have ice tea (yuk) pitchers in AQ cabins.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise!

Glad you got a lounger....yay hubby!

The other stuff looks like it'd be ok for the outdoor dining or  bar  area near the buffet..It might also  work  on EDGE outside the deli as well.

Perhaps it is temporary??? Who makes these choices for X...the B team?

You seem to have a very small balcony for a suite. Is that due to its location,

Edited by hcat

8 hours ago, Water709 said:

I just noticed that they put an arm chair with the deck so it wouldn't be able to be pushed in and they literally but a desk chair on the balcony so you can't even rest your arms.  Brilliant just brilliant.  Who was the idiot that approved this design?  I know all cruise lines are cutting back but apparently Celebrity decided to keep Modern and cut Luxury.

• Like 8

This furniture and decor is more proof that Chip and Joanna Gaines are taking over the world. I’m surprised there’s no shiplap on the walls. We have two suite rooms on hold for our family on the Summit and I wanted to check out the renovations before I booked. The balcony furniture is disappointing. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Culaccino said:

This furniture and decor is more proof that Chip and Joanna Gaines are taking over the world. I’m surprised there’s no shiplap on the walls. We have two suite rooms on hold for our family on the Summit and I wanted to check out the renovations before I booked. The balcony furniture is disappointing. 

Why blame Chip and Joanna

Gaines, blame Kelly Hoppen, she’s the designer of the rooms.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2019 at 8:19 AM, hcat said:

Glad you got a lounger....yay hubby!

The other stuff looks like it'd be ok for the outdoor dining or  bar  area near the buffet..It might also  work  on EDGE outside the deli as well.

Perhaps it is temporary??? Who makes these choices for X...the B team?

You seem to have a very small balcony for a suite. Is that due to its location,

This balcony is actually much larger than the other Sky Suites balconies due to its location.  Perhaps you are thinking of the balconies of the higher level (larger) suites. 

On 7/8/2019 at 12:42 PM, PistolPete13 said:

Thank you hcat.  I live about 1 mile from this vantage point on Staten Island but never paid attention to the ship schedule until I came back from my first Bermuda cruise this past Memorial Day week.  Now I'm a bit addicted every Sunday afternoon!  Here is a link to my full album of ships I've seen in the NYC area and photos of my Bermuda cruise (where I saw the Summit for the first time).

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmE9GLGM

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDYU3rQ

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G  pictures.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 1:47 PM, Water709 said:

I didn’t mean for this review to discourage anyone from sailing.  Hubby and I are enjoying our trip very much. We like the decor being brighter and more neutral. The new bed and bedding are fantastic.  The Retreat is just as nice as Michael’s Club, but Hubby misses the wood paneling and the big leather chairs. I find the decor in the Retreat to be refreshing. 

The sofa in the cabin is kind of hard but so was the older type in the previous Sky Suites.  You can’t really watch the TV from the sofa though, because it faces the bed and is at a right angle to the sofa.  We don’t use the sofa much so this doesn’t bother us.  

Regarding the table on the balcony, I think it’s a little smaller than the old one but still large enough for room service breakfast etc.  Last night hubby and I enjoyed sitting on the outdoor couch before bed.  

We have had a lot of rain these past couple of days so we haven’t been outside much, but are enjoying our cabin and The Retreat.  Excellent service in the retreat!!

regarding the size of our balcony, we always try to book SS 6132 or 6131 on Summit because of the oversized balcony.  

You are good. You are not discouraging me. You are expressing your views. We are going in 2 weeks and I am looking forward to it! Looking forward to more of your review.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Water709 said:

This balcony is actually much larger than the other Sky Suites balconies due to its location.  Perhaps you are thinking of the balconies of the higher level (larger) suites. 

Your balcony was bigger than both our sky suite 6102 and celebrity suite 6104 on infinity this year. 

• Like 1

We're booked in cabin # 7175 (2A) with a slightly larger balcony for our 2020 Bermuda cruise. One of the things we most enjoy about cruising is sitting on our balcony and reading (or daydreaming) while at sea. Am I correct in understanding that now there are no loungers on balconies no matter the size of the balcony? This may be a deal breaker! 

• Like 1