Wheelchair

J&Dhighdesert

We made reservations for a family cruise over New Years on the Royal last November.   At that time my hubby was fine, buy recently he has had serious health issues. How does Princess handle wheelchairs? On the paperwork, it says wheelchair access limited.  We have been to the Mexican Riviera many times.  Really not concerned about getting off ship.  By being on cruise ships, I know a battery operated will not fit in a room.  We are on the Aloha deck.  Is there a designated area to park and recharge the battery?  He wanted this to be his last trip with his granddaughter.

Thanks for any information in advance.

There is a lot of detailed information in the disabled cruise travel forum. 

A folding wheelchair will be no problem since they can be stored in the cabin.

As far as electric scooters, there are many variables on scooter size and door widths that it is hard to give a definitive answer.  However, if you have a standard cabin booked, there will be little available space to store even a small scooter in the room.

Bear in mind that mobility devices cannot be parked or stored in the corridors, so even if there is an electrical outlet available, the scooter cannot be parked there in the corridor and/or elevator lobby.

You would do well to call Princess and see what they can do for you.  

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

I travel with a wheelchair. I recently "graduated" from a scooter to a wheelchair. The first thing I would do is call whoever you reserved the cruise with (either your travel agent of Princess) and see if there is a handicapped cabin available. If none are available, get on a wait list for one. The entry door on the accessible cabin will be wider than the standard cabin. Also the bath room will have lots more grab rails which will greatly increase safety. I find cruising to be a nice compromise between traveling and traveling without hassle. The mobility device must be brought into the cabin. It is a hazard for other travelers (especially those also using a device) when left in the hall. I think you will do fine but I would definitely get an accessible cabin.

5 minutes ago, atdahop said:

We were on the Emerald last year and there was a mobility scooter plugged in every night by the stairwell in the rear elevator lobby on deck 9, so they must make some exceptions.

I would have reported that in a heartbeat.  The only "exceptions" are when the crew are reluctant to enforce the rule for fear of losing tips or receiving a bad post-cruise evaluation.

Parking any mobility device in a corridor, elevator/stairwell lobby, and/or access to those is a violation of SOLAS fire safety standards.  Negilgence by the mobility device user and lack of enforcement by the crew places passengers at risk of not having a clear path of exit in case of an emergency.

Think how crowded those areas get after the Muster Drill and then imagine it's a fire emergency.

• Thanks 1

We cruised a lot with my Mom while she was in a wheelchair/electric scooter. She normally had a regular balcony room. When she only needed her transport chair to get off the ship, we kept it stored in her closet. When she graduated to a scooter( we used scoot around, they give full refund unlike Disabilities at Sea), I had to move table between beds and slide them both towards the wall. I told her, when you come in go full blast till you hit the fridge. In the am, I was able to spin it around and plug it in. She was still able to get by scooter to get to bathroom, without blocking her door. If 2 of you in room, you could get extension cord and charge right inside your door. That way at least you could get it moved if there is an emergency. The only time it's a problem to get off the ship is when you have to tender( Mex Riv, Cabo). Don't let the chair slow you down. Mom cruised till she was 94( we had her 94th in Victoria). 

Call Princess and ask for the accessible cabin.  You'll have to fill out a mobility question sheet so they know the dimensions of

your chair/scooter and if you are really in need of this type of cabin.

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I would have reported that in a heartbeat.  The only "exceptions" are when the crew are reluctant to enforce the rule for fear of losing tips or receiving a bad post-cruise evaluation.

Parking any mobility device in a corridor, elevator/stairwell lobby, and/or access to those is a violation of SOLAS fire safety standards.  Negilgence by the mobility device user and lack of enforcement by the crew places passengers at risk of not having a clear path of exit in case of an emergency.

Think how crowded those areas get after the Muster Drill and then imagine it's a fire emergency.

I agree.

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I've seen the same thing quite often.

I don't think Princess really cares sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

What do they do with mobility scooters during Mustard Drill, Princess Theater, and dining in MDR?

There is "disabled seating" in each section. It is usually when you first walk in.

53 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I've seen the same thing quite often.

I don't think Princess really cares sometimes.

Yes, Princess does care and will deal with the passengers whose mobility aids are stored improperly ... when made aware.

Couple years ago we noted and reported 2 devices in the hallway outside 2 adjacent cabins.  The devices disappeared and reappeared at least 3 times during 1 day.  We called each time the devices reappeared ... until, finally,

these pax understood that Princess did take iit seriously.

Edited by pms4104

Sorry to hear your husband is unwell.

I have been cruising with serious health problems a few times now and must say I think cruises are the easiest holidays around. Access around the ship is brilliant and the crew are always exceptionally helpful.

However I find the distances you have to cover a little daunting so hire a mobility scooter through the Princess approved provider to use on board. I do have a scooter of my own but the company know the dimensions of all the cabins and have the correct scooter for each. This includes details about charging. As others have said scooters must be stored and charged in your cabin. However you can do this easily without having an adapted cabin so long as you have the appropriate scooter.

The scooter is delivered and waiting for me in my cabin when I board. Charged and ready to go.

Help is available when you arrive at the port in the form of a wheelchair and assistant who accompanies you and your party through check in, security and to your cabin. As a wheelchair user you have priority boarding. Similarly when you disembark you leave your scooter in your cabin and have assistance until you leave the port.

Happy cruising and any questions please ask.

Juliax

• Thanks 1

Not to hijack, but questions in same vein that hopefully would be shared by OP...  My trip is mid Aug 2019.

When/who do you contact for emark/disbark/port wheelchair assistance?  That is, email/call to specific Princess dept or general Princess #?  If you have booked with a travel agent, do you HAVE to do this through them?  I'd prefer DIY. 

How about airline when booked through EZ?  I'm not excited about putting my CC# & authorization in any earlier than necessary, so can't yet get boarding info and I assume this means flight ticket stuff too 'cause I haven't gotten anything yet...

Most likely we will be getting a scooter on board, but from posts here, sounds like elevators can be a problem, so guessing most practical for high usage times like dinner might be having hubby ride to elevator then hoof it from there while I return it to cabin.

My main complaint is that we are given a table in the Dining Room that is impossible to get to with a scooter.  They try to tell us that my husband can "drive" to the table and then the staff will take his scooter back to the front of the dining room to park it.  This is totally un-acceptable since my husband refuses to let ANY one else drive his scooter since it is this lifeline and should it be damaged he would be totally incapable of getting around for the rest of the cruise.  We have had mechanical problems in the past with the scooter and thankfully they ship engineers were able to fix it but my husband was without it for 2 days.

The M' D does his seating chart prior to our boarding and has a list of the stateroom numbers, so he should know which staterooms are H/C and assign tables close to the entrance of the DR for those in H/C cabins.  

We usually insist that his scooter not be taken away and this has lead to many problems of where to park it out of the way of the waiters.  

2 hours ago, ssbeagle said:

I know a lot of people rent mobility equipment and when they board it is on the ship.  How does one go about getting this service?

We use Special Needs at sea - https://www.specialneedsatsea.com .  I think there is another company that Princess works with.  We have had great service from Special Needs.  You can contact them directly, or go through your travel agent.

Sue

On 7/9/2019 at 8:09 AM, CRUISEWITHH said:

My main complaint is that we are given a table in the Dining Room that is impossible to get to with a scooter.  They try to tell us that my husband can "drive" to the table and then the staff will take his scooter back to the front of the dining room to park it.  This is totally un-acceptable since my husband refuses to let ANY one else drive his scooter since it is this lifeline and should it be damaged he would be totally incapable of getting around for the rest of the cruise.  We have had mechanical problems in the past with the scooter and thankfully they ship engineers were able to fix it but my husband was without it for 2 days.

The M' D does his seating chart prior to our boarding and has a list of the stateroom numbers, so he should know which staterooms are H/C and assign tables close to the entrance of the DR for those in H/C cabins.  

We usually insist that his scooter not be taken away and this has lead to many problems of where to park it out of the way of the waiters.  

Friends of us have a H/C cabin "assigned" to them on the Crown Princess without asking for one because they don't need one. They are very active people and even asked for an other cabin but so far they are still booked in the H/C cabin. Sometimes, even with the H/C cabin list, it is not always known to the M'D who is in those cabins and if the passenger(s) need an easy accessible table.

Theo

On 7/9/2019 at 8:09 AM, CRUISEWITHH said:

Can you demand to be seated at a table near where his scooter is parked so he can keep a keen eye on it?  Or can he sit on his scooter at the dining table?

How about when eating at the Anytime dining room?

Or when you dine at the specialty restaurants?  Since you make advance reservations Is  the Maitre D’ able to have your scooter tableside?

Good luck.

On 7/8/2019 at 1:52 PM, Coral said:

There is "disabled seating" in each section. It is usually when you first walk in.

I have also noted that the last couple of seats down in the bottom section have a handicapped logo on them. There's no place for a scooter but mobility restricted folks can use those seats and not have to be up in the nosebleed section. We thought it was pretty lame when we cruised with our son who is in a wheelchair that there is so very little space available. We had to be in the very back behind the seats and it was usually totally full back there due to all the scooters, etc.

16 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I have also noted that the last couple of seats down in the bottom section have a handicapped logo on them. There's no place for a scooter but mobility restricted folks can use those seats and not have to be up in the nosebleed section. We thought it was pretty lame when we cruised with our son who is in a wheelchair that there is so very little space available. We had to be in the very back behind the seats and it was usually totally full back there due to all the scooters, etc.

Why is it lame?  Mobility (walkers/wheelchairs/scooters) restricted PAXs are in the minority not majority, on cruise ships IMO.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

10 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Why is it lame?  Mobility restricted folks are in the minority on cruise ships.

There are a lot of other passengers that belong to a “Minority”. I hope you are not suggesting that they all need to be treated differently.

Theo

21 minutes ago, Renmar said:

There are a lot of other passengers that belong to a “Minority”. I hope you are not suggesting that they all need to be treated differently.

Theo

Are you suggesting mobility challenged PAXs should not be allowed reasonable accommodation?

Do you agree Princess,  does note designate enough cabins for handicapped PAXs.  Or in the dining rooms.  Or the theaters.  Why is that?

In the USA, you go to a restaurant and how many tables are designated for disabled diners?   In movie theaters?  Not many.  Why is that?

Do other countries,  have designated seating for handicapped people?  I do not know.  Do you?

Edited by Kingofcool1947