Electric fans

I have a portable box fan that I have taken on multiple cruises on at least three cruise lines.  Now a friend of a friend is saying that she had a similar fan confiscated and she's "pretty sure" it was a RCI cruise. That doesn't sound right to me, and according to the FAQ on prohibited items I should be fine, but I thought I'd just check in with the experts. 🙂 Has anyone experienced or heard of  this?

This may be a stupid question, but how is an electric fan a hazard? I would think every cell phone, laptop, tablet, and maybe even battery operated fan on board would be a greater hazard than an electric fan. Are all electric devices prohibited? 

2 hours ago, tserface said:

We used one of these on our last cruise. Worked great. Used a USB cable.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:00 PM, Steven_&_Daniel said:

This may be a stupid question, but how is an electric fan a hazard? I would think every cell phone, laptop, tablet, and maybe even battery operated fan on board would be a greater hazard than an electric fan. Are all electric devices prohibited? 

I personally know of multiple Electric Fan fires, one killed my Father-In-Law. Royal is following threw with banning/confiscating more electronics then in past including all extension cords/power strips. They'd probably ban Computers and such if could but that's never going happen.

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 7/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, Steven_&_Daniel said:

Probably because people bring old, beat up fans with frayed cords. Can’t guarantee that it is UL listed and in good working condition. 

On 7/11/2019 at 9:00 PM, Steven_&_Daniel said:

All of the things you mentioned are low voltage.  An electric fan is not.

• Like 2

I brought a fan on my last cruise because I heard that the A/C broke on the cruise before mine. It was a small tower fan that could sit on a table and I never had any problems getting it on the ship (Anthem). I kept it in my carry on and it went through the scanners and they said nothing at all.

I always take a small tabletop fan.  Never a problem.  

I can see why they would prohibit an old fan or one with a frayed cord, but I would challenge them taking a fan in good working order, as they're not prohibited.  

On 7/12/2019 at 9:25 PM, Thisguylikestocruise said:

We brought a large box fan on Oasis, and never had any issues. They’re only $20, not a huge loss, if they’re confiscated. I’ll take the risk. Can’t sleep without a fan.

Even if they confiscate it, you get a claim ticket and can pick it up on your way off the ship at the end of the cruise.