Will I make my flight from Regal?

Familycruzer11

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone here has any insight or experience on the arrival timing for Regal western Caribbean return to FLL.  We have club class mini suite booked on 1/26.  I mention club class because I believe there is priority disembarkation?  We have a 2:00 pm flight booked out of FLL so hope to arrive at the aiport by 12:30. The itinerary says we arrive back at 6:00 am..  I know it can take a while to get off the ship, customs, luggage, etc.  We will use our own taxi or uber.  Will we make it?

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/travel.jsp

The Princess flight guidelines for Ft Lauderdale are:

Disembarking Passengers
Earliest International Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 5 hours after ship's arrival.
Earliest Domestic Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 4 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival.

...so any flight after 10:30 is fine.

When I first saw the thread title I figured it was the usual question about making a flight at 8:30 (or even earlier) that plenty of people claim to do all the time. Obviously you have the right idea. Not only is an early disembarkation not necessary but even if you are one of the last ones off the ship (at 10-ish--and remember you have to be out of your cabin by 8:00) you will have a couple long hours to kill at FLL, and most airlines do not accept bags earlier than three hours before flight time. Meaning if you can switch to a flight 90-120 minutes earlier you should.

Edited by fishywood
  • Like 1

You have nothing to worry about at all. I'm always the last one off the ship around 9:30am, and live 20 min west of FLL airport. I'm always home around 10-10:15. The airport is literally right by the port. 

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 1

We have Global Entry and when we disembark in FLL, we never wait in line. You will be fine either way but this is one thing that you can do to speed up the process.

The other thing would be to put the most recognizable ribbons on the handles of your luggage that you can find. When you disembark, your bag will be in a color coded area with all other bags from that section and they are almost all black. You'll be quicker getting your bags to bring through security if you can spot them quickly.

Edited by Clampram
forgot something
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone!  We do have global entry, which I agree is very helpful.  Our choices for our airport were 7;30 am, 2pm and 7:30 pm, I am glad we don't have to take the evening flight.  We will find something to do if we are early and it's nice to know we don't have to rush or worry. :-)

• Like 2

Also look into a program called EZ Check where you put your luggage out the night before and the next time you see it will be at your destination airport. That way you do not have to look for bags and can just go straight to customs. They will also check yu into your flight and get your boarding pass. Go to the airport and directly thru security.

• Like 1

You will be fine. Please consider using EZ check for your checked luggage and then taking the intercoastal waterway cruise from the ship to the airport, which is a nice way to pass the time. 

The Ft. Lauderdale airport does not allow one to check bags until 3 hours before their flight, so if you don't use EZ check, and/or take a nice little disembarkation excursion you could be twiddling your thumbs in the less than relaxing airport entrance for almost an hour until you can get the bags checked. Also, there are frequently long lines for that due to the cruise ship passengers. Most airlines offer baggage check right outside the terminal too, but really, EZ check is the way to go. 

GOES at the pier - haven't seen it being really used at disembarkation in Ft. Lauderdale, which is rather annoying. I agree it is a great time saver, but they seem to be very haphazard about that at the cruise terminal. Highest and best use - returning to any US airport on an international flight, and of course, TSA pre-check within the US. 

We typically do self disembark and carry off our own luggage.  We always request the first disembarkation time which is usually 7am, and get right off the ship.  We have a 10:30 flight scheduled for our disembarkation from the Regal on 1/26, booked through Princess.  I figured if they allow that flight time, they expect us to make it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Familycruzer11 said:

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone here has any insight or experience on the arrival timing for Regal western Caribbean return to FLL.  We have club class mini suite booked on 1/26.  I mention club class because I believe there is priority disembarkation?  We have a 2:00 pm flight booked out of FLL so hope to arrive at the aiport by 12:30. The itinerary says we arrive back at 6:00 am..  I know it can take a while to get off the ship, customs, luggage, etc.  We will use our own taxi or uber.  Will we make it?

Take your time to debark.  You will make it.  It’s only 20-25 minutes from Cruise Port curbside to FLL terminal.

Use Uber or taxi.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

6 hours ago, Familycruzer11 said:

Hi everyone,

You could almost crawl and make it.  When I opened this thread I was expecting one of the typical asks about making a 9am flight.

18 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

You could almost crawl and make it.  When I opened this thread I was expecting one of the typical asks about making a 9am flight.

#MeToo

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I am at the gate by 8:30am.

6 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

You have nothing to worry about at all. I'm always the last one off the ship around 9:30am, and live 20 min west of FLL airport. I'm always home around 10-10:15. The airport is literally right by the port. 

9 hours ago, Familycruzer11 said:

so hope to arrive at the aiport by 12:30. The itinerary says we arrive back at 6:00 am..  I know it can take a while to get off the ship, customs, luggage, etc.  We will use our own taxi or uber.  Will we make it?

You won't have to get off the ship till 11.  You'll have more time than you need by multiple hours.

8 hours ago, Familycruzer11 said:

Thank you everyone!  We do have global entry, which I agree is very helpful.  Our choices for our airport were 7;30 am, 2pm and 7:30 pm, I am glad we don't have to take the evening flight.  We will find something to do if we are early and it's nice to know we don't have to rush or worry. 🙂

Global Entry also works at the Port of Fort Lauderdale meaning you can also speed up your immigration back into the US from your cruise. There is a special CBP line for GE. Just be aware that to use GE coming off a sea arrival, you have to present the physical RFID GE card to the CBP agent, so make sure you bring those with you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Familycruzer11 said:

Hi everyone,

In plenty of time.