Still debating Cheers for first time cruiser

Sersee

4 hours ago, coevan said:

You also prepay gratuities with Cheers, we still tip $1

don't let port days put you off, you can still drink enough to come out even easily. Bloody Mary or Mimosa before you leave. Grab a couple of free waters from the bar. When you return, you'll probably go right to the Lido deck for a drink, have a pre dinner drink, some wine with dinner, and a few after dinner drinks. 

Unless you over imbibe on cheap drinks in port, then you come back to ship (hopefully) and pass out.

First cruise ...

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Also remember about FREE water in you state room. Any one that has cruised 2 cruises or more with Carnival will receive a 1 liter bottle of water. So if both have. 2 bottles will be in your room.

9 minutes ago, James4me said:

My husband is a beer drinker only.  On cruises he likes to order a bucket of beer.  He can easily go through three buckets in a day.  I don’t think the Cheers Pckg. will work for him.  Am I wrong?

Not if he wants buckets, he would have to do individual beers.

Us vacationers easily get enticed by the words "unlimited" and "alcohol". Personally, I would advise you to think deeper than that. $860 is the magic number. If the two of you are likely to spend near or beyond that on liquids in a week, do it. 

In my example, I could maybe break even on my half for the week, but it's a lot of forced drinking. My other half, not even close.

For me, I bring a bottle of wine, 12 pack of mixers, and buy a 1 liter bottle for about $120. That 1 liter goes a long way. Then we buy a few cocktails and mixed drinks here and there. We rarely have exceeded $300 in drinks on the boat. We also have yet to feel like we needed more.

16 minutes ago, James4me said:

My husband is a beer drinker only.  On cruises he likes to order a bucket of beer.  He can easily go through three buckets in a day.  I don’t think the Cheers Pckg. will work for him.  Am I wrong?

Yes you are wrong, 3 buckets would be about $60 and only 12 beers. Cheers is $51.95,  $56 with tip. As previously stated you can not buy buckets of beer on cheers. 15 beers would be about $90

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Yes you are wrong, 3 buckets would be about $60 and only 12 beers. Cheers is $51.95,  $56 with tip. As previously stated you can not buy buckets of beer on cheers. 15 beers would be about $90

but they both have to pay for cheers....so your numbers would be doubled

5 minutes ago, coevan said:

She was specifically referencing her beer drinking husband. Thank you Capt. Obvious.  😄

Yep that's correct which is why the numbers would double She only mentioned him drinking and not both of them!

I may be captain obvious but at least I know simple math! perhaps you need more practice!

2 hours ago, James4me said:

Midcarolina, read this, she never asked how much is Cheers for 2. She asked if Cheers is a bad deal for a beer drinker

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Midcarolina, read this, she never asked how much is Cheers for 2. She asked if Cheers is a bad deal for a beer drinker

She did NOT say we drink several buckets of beer each! she said my husband does! One can assume due to her verbage that they will be cruising together.... If she does not drink that plays a BIG roll in if cheers is a good deal....

( now stay with me on this ) If they cruise together they both have to purchase cheers, so to be a good deal he would need to drink twice what was stated........

I could probably do Cheers (won't hit 15 but probably make it to 10 over the course of the day) but my wife cannot as she is at best 2 drinks a day. But of course (and rightfully so to avoid sharing) Carnival requires everyone 21+ in the same room to purchase Cheers if you want Cheers. 

Friends of mine have a creative solution to the math problem.  Both him and his brother are heavy drinkers — his wife and sister-in-law are not.  They often cruise together and the guys book a room and the women book a room. When they get on board they ask for an extra room keys and unofficially swap rooms.

yup, very hard to justify it if the other person in the room isn't much of a drinker. 

If you wanted to try, I'd look at the non-alcoholic benefits, like bottled water anytime, ability to take it to port to save money there, specialty coffee's if they're a big coffee drinker, energy drinks if they are one of those drinkers, and the shakes if they have a sweet tooth. Then maybe add in a drink or two at Alchemy every night, if for nothing else, than to just try out a new drink on the menu.

Everyone's situation is different, so there's tons of reasons why that may or may not work out for you. 

1 hour ago, RandomUser123 said:

I could probably do Cheers (won't hit 15 but probably make it to 10 over the course of the day) but my wife cannot as she is at best 2 drinks a day. But of course (and rightfully so to avoid sharing) Carnival requires everyone 21+ in the same room to purchase Cheers if you want Cheers. 

It totally depends on what you drink. If you like fancy cocktails and wine, the breakeven per person is ~5/day. So your 10/day would pay for both packages, and your wife's 2/day + any non-alcoholic beverages for both of you, are "free."

You are going to want to be right with your decision. If you are unsure you are better off not getting it.  As getting it will encourage you to overindulge and not getting it will encourage you to drink less.  

Signed, 

Your liver.

• Like 1

My upcoming cruise in September decided to try Cheers.  My drinking on cruises varies.  The main factor for the Cheers is items like coffee (I'm a heavy drinker), water (drink a lot) love smoothies also.  I normally limit myself and end up buying quite a few of these items.

Since I sail solo, no worry about another person having to  buy Cheers.  I also like if I try a new type of drink and don't like, could get another drink

On 7/15/2019 at 9:05 AM, RandomUser123 said:

If break even for one is 6 drinks, then break even for 2 should be 12.  If you enjoy higher end drinks or also have lots of non alcoholic charged drinks then Cheers makes sense for the two of you.

3 hours ago, mom22boys said:

I have 8 day, 7 night cruise. Is cost still figured for 8 days even though 8th is not full day?

If you are sailing from NY or TX then you will not be charged for embarkation day, you will start on day 2 and it will run 6 am to 6am each day.

If you sail from anywhere else (except Europe and possibly some other exceptions), you will be billed for embarkation day from boarding to 6 am the next day, then 6am-6am each day thereafter.

No charge for disembarkation day, so any drinks after 6am would need purchased.

GET IT!!! I love drink cards.  Want a bloody mary with breakfast?  No worries hand them your card.  A beer mid day?  Bottle of water to hydrate.  3 beers in the pool later....pre dinner martini.....glass of wine with dinner.  couple more bottles of water... a drink at the show..... I rest my case. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, mom22boys said:

I have 8 day, 7 night cruise. Is cost still figured for 8 days even though 8th is not full day?

Yes, unless you sail out of Galvenston or NYC.  Then Cheers doesn't start till 6am of the next day.

I did see a post on Facebook where someone said they were paying $1700+ for cheers for a Journeys cruise.  $1700!!  That is a lot to pay for drinks.  

23 minutes ago, ishap said:

Yes, unless you sail out of Galvenston or NYC.  Then Cheers doesn't start till 6am of the next day.

I did see a post on Facebook where someone said they were paying $1700+ for cheers for a Journeys cruise.  $1700!!  That is a lot to pay for drinks.  

Does that include a wheelchair?

With our first cruise, I wish we had it.  We hardly obtain drinks and still spent $300, then again it was for 4 people.  We did get some drinks that took all 4 of us to get it down. If we had the drink package we could of just left it and got another one. Make sure you get the Miami Vice. AWESOME! That was always our" go to drink. " You can also get coffee too, I am sure you have read what you can get. Enjoy!