Back After 2 Years - changes?

RevNeal

We found the food on the Nieuw Statendam to be excellent (although they no longer serve chilled soups at dinner time + the Surf & Turf night may not be featured on every sailing).  The Lido is better than ever.  Loved the variety of fresh baked breads.

There are no longer HAL singers and dancers; however, the theater is very nice.  Step One Dance Company is supposed to perform a couple shows per cruise (a couple of ours were canceled due to health) and their shows incorporate the theater’s high tech features.  Get to shows early for a good seat.  Some passengers are reporting new show times (7 & 9, but we had 8 & 10 last month).  Hopefully the entertainment will maximize the theater’s capabilities on your sailing.  On our last several sailings, there have been 2-3 nights without entertainment in the World Stage.

Some passengers are reporting that the EXC Guides are being phased out, and some CDs’ titles have been altered.  Some are reporting the YumYum Man is being phased out.

The Grand Dutch Cafe is so good!  They have even more snacks late afternoon through the evening.  The Orange Party is supposed to serve Dutch Appetizers.  They now do a Chocolate Surprise (an assortment of bite-size chocolate treats) instead of the Dutch Chocolate Extravaganza.  

Royal Dutch, English, Cupcake and Indonesian Teas have been replaced by Classic Teas on Gala Nights.

The in room TV systems are quite nice.  

Happy Sailing!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

Welcome back, RevNeal!

We've enjoyed two cruises on Koningsdam, and though it's a different experience than the R class, our favorites, had a wonderful time. The gelato is super!  Have a great relaxing cruise.

• Like 1

Welcome back, Rev Neal.  Good to see you again.  Lots of changes, some good, some not so good.  Entertainment has definitely gone downhill.  

Roz

• Like 1

Welcome back to cruising, Greg. And back to Cruise Critic, too. You've been missed. Now that you're back, please do stick around.

So, a few of the changes you will notice---
First, I won't be there! How will you ever have a good time??? :classic_biggrin: 
You'll find the cabins on the Koningsdam are smaller, in comparable categories, than cabins on the earlier classes of ships.
There are fewer floral displays around the ship, and those you do see will be smaller than in the past. Very creative, though.
There are no piano bars on any of the ships any longer, but there is a substitute with dueling pianos. Lincoln Center Stage is a decent replacement of the Explorers Lounge chamber music groups.
Food in the dining room has gone downhill even more than you remember.
The crew is as fabulous as ever.

ME, Karl, and I were missing you on our recent cruise, and lamenting that you don't come with us anymore. Perhaps we will have another cruise together in our future??? Hope so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RuthC said:

Welcome back to cruising, Greg. And back to Cruise Critic, too. You've been missed. Now that you're back, please do stick around.

So, a few of the changes you will notice---
First, I won't be there! How will you ever have a good time??? :classic_biggrin: 
You'll find the cabins on the Koningsdam are smaller, in comparable categories, than cabins on the earlier classes of ships.
There are fewer floral displays around the ship, and those you do see will be smaller than in the past. Very creative, though.
There are no piano bars on any of the ships any longer, but there is a substitute with dueling pianos. Lincoln Center Stage is a decent replacement of the Explorers Lounge chamber music groups.
Food in the dining room has gone downhill even more than you remember.
The crew is as fabulous as ever.

ME, Karl, and I were missing you on our recent cruise, and lamenting that you don't come with us anymore. Perhaps we will have another cruise together in our future??? Hope so.

Dearest Ruth, please know that I do terribly miss you and my other cruising friends (especially ME and Karl). Life has been very rough these past few years, and I simply haven't had time or money to travel as much as I would love.  I DO hope to do another cruise with you! We must have at least 175 days on HAL together ... would love to have more!  Hey ... if you're not doing anything, wanna join me in January??

2 hours ago, RevNeal said:

Hey ... if you're not doing anything, wanna join me in January??

Maybe! It's a definite maybe! I don't have anything booked until October '20, so I can easily fit January in my schedule.
I will look into it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

Maybe! It's a definite maybe! I don't have anything booked until October '20, so I can easily fit January in my schedule.
I will look into it.

Now I'm jealous.  I've looked for RuthC on my cruises, but have never run into you.  Here's hoping that changes at some point in the future, since I am now traveling solo too.  Dearest husband died in August 2017, and he is missed, especially on cruises.

18 hours ago, RuthC said:

I will look into it.

Yippie!  I do hope you can come!  I would love to have you for my "table entertainment" on yet another cruise!

What are you booked for in October 2020???

Rev Neil.

You will find more specialty restaurants. The main Dining room offers fewer options each night, there is one option for soup--the chilled soups have gone the way of dessert extravaganzas and the ship is rather noisy.  You will be disappointed in the walk around promenade deck.  It is very narrow and without Deck Chairs, The Protectant service is congregation led and no priest is involved.

1 hour ago, RevNeal said:

What are you booked for in October 2020???

Vancouver to Buenos Aires, with ME & Karl. Interested?
I'm researching cabins, hotels, and flights for the one you booked.

Our recent sailing aboard the Nieuw Statendam did not feature an Indonesian or Filipino Crew Show.  Some of the previous participants seemed disappointed about that.  I have read reviews from other ships, however, where they were featured.  ymmv.

5 hours ago, RuthC said:

Vancouver to Buenos Aires, with ME & Karl. Interested?
I'm researching cabins, hotels, and flights for the one you booked.

heck yeah I'm interested ... but yikes!  I don't think I can manage that many days.  Maybe a segment of it?

13 hours ago, RevNeal said:

heck yeah I'm interested ... but yikes!  I don't think I can manage that many days.  Maybe a segment of it?

It's your lucky day! There's a segment break at Santiago, Chile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

It's your lucky day! There's a segment break at Santiago, Chile.

There is, indeed.  The segment from San Diego to Santiago, Chile, is VERY tempting.  The price isn't bad either.

I'm going to give it SERIOUS consideration! 

• Haha 1

OR ... maybe this one!?

Except that it's over All Saints Day and Sunday.  All Saints Sunday is a big day in this church.  Though I could let my Associate do it, for a change. 😋

oct2020.jpg

22 minutes ago, RevNeal said:

OR ... maybe this one!?

Except that it's over All Saints Day and Sunday.  All Saints Sunday is a big day in this church.  Though I could let my Associate do it, for a change. 😋

oct2020.jpg

I have a feeling that it's "dream on" about being away All Saints Day but if you can swing it that's an awesome itinerary.  I did that (the other direction) on the Zaandam and it's really special. 

Roy

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I have a feeling that it's "dream on" about being away All Saints Day but if you can swing it that's an awesome itinerary.  I did that (the other direction) on the Zaandam and it's really special. 

Yeah ... it can be difficult to be away on those particularly high Holy days, and All Saints Sunday is one of those for us. Still ... I've done it before without too much trouble.  It might be do-able, depending upon the arrangements I make.  I would have to confirm with my Pastor-Parish Relations Committee before I book anything.

I've done this itinerary, too.  2008, BA to Valparaiso Chile aboard the Rotterdam, but it also included the Antarctica visit.

• Like 1