Does NCL have guest lecturers on transatlantics?

Turtles06

We've taken, and enjoyed, many NCL cruises, but none has been a transatlantic.  We have, though, taken 6 TAs on other cruise lines, some of which, notably Celebrity and HAL, have guest lecturers speaking on sea days.  These folks typically have had interesting careers (e.g., a former Director of the Kennedy Space Center), and their lectures therefore are usually quite interesting as well.

For those of you who have taken TAs on NCL -- does NCL have anything similar?   Thanks! 

1 minute ago, FranknBeans said:

They have a cruise consultant on board,they maybe able to answer all your questions.

Do some homework before you leave home and book an appt as they are busy.

Did you post on the wrong thread?  🤣

12 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Not in my experience, no.

Thanks Keith.   I was thinking that might be the case.   It will be interesting to see if anyone has had a difference experience.   (It's not a deal-breaker for us, but it is something that enhances a TA.)

• Like 1

On the Breakaway to Southampton in 2018 there was a lecturer who talked about various sites in Ireland and France. He was quite entertaining. He spoke once in the Atrium and once in the Theater that I remember.  On the Getaway TA in 2019 there was someone speaking in the Atrium on a couple of days, but at 9am. I never made it to breakfast before 10:30 so I don't know what he talked about.

• Thanks 1

On the Epic in April 2019 there was an English lady (who had been living in Spain for a number of years) who gave a talk in the theater on each of the sea days. The first day the talk was given in one of the main dining rooms, but was so popular it was packed with people so after that the talks were held in the theater. Even then it was standing room only and many people were turned away, so the remainder of the talks were broadcast simultaneously into the atrium and headliners club. We had seven ports of call so seven of the talks were on a port of call, each talk lasted an hour. They were not talks about shopping and excursions in the ports, the talks were on the history and day to day life and were very interesting. The 8th talk was on Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. 

• Thanks 1

I have not yet been on a TA but it's on my bucket list for sure.  I have not heard any guest lecturers on an NCL ship I've sailed EXCEPT on the Epic, which another poster mentioned.  Our guest speak spoke in the theater on the advancements of ship navigation as well as his experiences at sea.  Sounds like a bore but it was actually very interesting, but he was very engaging and had lots of visuals to enhance his lecture.  This was a 7 nighter in the Western Caribbean.  I've been on Breakaway twice and on the Sun as well.  Only had a guest lecturer (that wasn't talking about port shopping) that one time.  Maybe it depends on availability, interest, or the cruise director?  Not really sure...

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Thanks 1

Years ago (pre 2010) we DID have guest lecturers for NCL sailings on our way over to Europe for several sailing years. However, we personally, never had any guest lecturers on TA's from Europe back to the US.  In recent years I do not recall any TA guest lecturers on NCL cruises at all and have missed them.

• Thanks 1

My answer is yes, Norwegian is currently offering such lectures on transatlantics.  On the fall 2018 Breakaway TA crossing from Copenhagen, the ship had the talks in the theater about 11 am as I recall,  and it was always a full house.  The guest lecturer gave background on each of the various European ports we visited and also had several talks while out on the Atlantic, historical stories as well as facts and figures.   I'm expecting Norwegian to offer similar on the Getaway crossing this October since it was such a popular activity.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone who has responded above.   It seems that to the extent folks have reported on having recent guest lecturers, they have been on NCL's largest ships.    We are probably going to take a TA on the Jade... It will be interesting to see the Jewel-class experience in terms of lecturers (if any).

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Thank you to everyone who has responded above.   It seems that to the extent folks have reported on having recent guest lecturers, they have been on NCL's largest ships.    We are probably going to take a TA on the Jade... It will be interesting to see the Jewel-class experience in terms of lecturers (if any).

I sure hope you are right! Will be on the Jade for a 21 nighter in November and it would be lovely to have lectures again! Have been on the Sun 4 times in recent years and nary a lecture.

21 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I can tell you for a fact that NCL hired no guest lecturers on the Spring 2018 Jade TA. They asked for guest volunteer lecturers.  I told my personal story on the "Ask a Cruise Question" site. 

We had at least one “lecturer” on our transatlantic aboard Star in November 2018 from Rome to Miami. I only attended one of the lectures as it was mostly the speaker looking at projected pictures of royalty from People magazine and saying how pretty the ladies outfits were. It had been billed as a behind the scenes look at royalty. 

4 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I can tell you for a fact that NCL hired no guest lecturers on the Spring 2018 Jade TA. They asked for guest volunteer lecturers.  I told my personal story on the "Ask a Cruise Question" site. 

I just read your post. Yikes, how cheap can they be.  I am not expecting anything on the Jade.  (Even on Celebrity, which had wonderful guest lecturers on the four TAs we've done with them, a great deal comes down to the Cruise Director and when he/she schedules them and whether he/she promotes them.  Some of those CDs are better than others.)

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We had at least one “lecturer” on our transatlantic aboard Star in November 2018 from Rome to Miami. I only attended one of the lectures as it was mostly the speaker looking at projected pictures of royalty from People magazine and saying how pretty the ladies outfits were. It had been billed as a behind the scenes look at royalty. 

🤣🤣🤣 

Actually, it was the CD who was so excited to line up my presentation and the one who promised me "anything."  I believe he got overruled by his superiors. In the end, he ended up being a skittish guy who was obviously intimidated AND not the best CD around either. I had his "guarantee" and told the Cruise Critic group about the talk.  I had passengers stopping me for the rest of the cruise asking when I was going to speak. I wrote to NCL headquarters, and they stood by their decision.  Guest lecturers usually get a free cruise while I was only asking for free internet. I usually speak to capacity crowds, and my topic was perfect especially for Americans going to Europe.  Oh, well...

32 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Actually, it was the CD who was so excited to line up my presentation and the one who promised me "anything."  I believe he got overruled by his superiors. In the end, he ended up being a skittish guy who was obviously intimidated AND not the best CD around either. I had his "guarantee" and told the Cruise Critic group about the talk.  I had passengers stopping me for the rest of the cruise asking when I was going to speak. I wrote to NCL headquarters, and they stood by their decision.  Guest lecturers usually get a free cruise while I was only asking for free internet. I usually speak to capacity crowds, and my topic was perfect especially for Americans going to Europe.  Oh, well...

If you’re published or greatly awarded, you ought to get in touch with Viking. Their lectures tend to be one and/or the other. I know they get a free cruise for two and I suspect they get some other benefits. On a transatlantic, it appeared they lectured twice and participated in a round table once, and had a Q&A session once or twice. Pretty good gig if you ask me. Oh, and they let you sell your book or CD or DVD after the lectures too!

35 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

That is really too bad.  Too many businesses, including some cruise lines, are really penny-wise/pound-foolish, and also doesn't understand the importance (including financially) of generating customer good-will, and how easy it is to destroy it.   

It was really nice of you to volunteer.

On the NCL transatlantics I have taken, NCL provided a duplicate bridge teacher/director (usually a couple).  They gave lessons and directed games each sea day in one of the (closed) specialty restaurants.  These were popular (attracted 50-75 participants each.  You could learn duplicate bridge, improved your game, and/or play in games.  Pleasantly passed a lot of time on the transatlantics. 

Last NCL TA we did (Jade the Northern European/Iceland/Canada route of the Vikings) no guest lecturers however we had a cpl of  passengers who they allowed to use the theatre to give talks as they were experts in the field. We didnt actually go as this was quite a port intensive cruise for a TA. Not sure if this often happens.

54 minutes ago, ighten said:

Last NCL TA we did (Jade the Northern European/Iceland/Canada route of the Vikings) no guest lecturers however we had a cpl of  passengers who they allowed to use the theatre to give talks as they were experts in the field. We didnt actually go as this was quite a port intensive cruise for a TA. Not sure if this often happens.

Yes, that is what they wanted me to do also- speak in the theater. That is a nice idea, but why would I want to give up my time on a vacation I paid for with absolutely no compensation?  

RCL also provided a dance instruction couple on a few of our TA and TPs. They were far superior to NCL's practice of using their professional dancers or cruise staff to give lessons. Most professional dancers have no clue on providing instructional dance lessons.  It may be that many cruise lines are cutting back in these areas.

On the EPIC TA 2018 Spring sailing we had two excellent lecturers who gave a series of talks in the Comedy Club.  Both were absolute sell outs with people unable to get in and many standing.  We have a sailing booked for TA in December 2020, I will be disappointed if we don’t have lecturers on board.

Edited by new salt
Date missing