Seeking San Juan Latest Info

Hello, cruising to San Juan next week with 2 grand kids 9 and 11. Was wondering how safe is it or should we stay on ship. For people who have just been there what did cruise ship say stay on board or did cruise ship say. Can you tell me after getting off ship was there more police presence around port. Did you feel safe,  Any info would be helpful.  Thank You

I haven't heard any updates, but I'd follow whatever recommendation Carnival makes- if they decide it's safe enough to stop there they will, otherwise they'll change the port or worst case give you a sea day.

If they port in San Juan, I'd make sure I only went on an excursion, and not just wandering around downtown... that's just me...

• Like 3

We're scheduled to stop there on our cruise leaving on 08-03-2019 and if things don't change I would not get off the boat. I'm hoping Carnival will make some sort of decision in advance so we can make plans.

The best advice I can give is to wait & see what Carnival does... if they decide to port, then you can assume they figure it's safe for their passengers. If not, they will re-route.

The bottom line is, you need to do what feels right to you- if they do port and you're uncomfortable with it, just stay onboard and enjoy a lovely day with fewer crowds!

2 hours ago, justhavingfun said:

Hello, cruising to San Juan next week with 2 grand kids 9 and 11. Was wondering how safe is it or should we stay on ship. For people who have just been there what did cruise ship say stay on board or did cruise ship say. Can you tell me after getting off ship was there more police presence around port. Did you feel safe,  Any info would be helpful.  Thank You

I have friends who live there who have been updating fairly regularly on the ongoing situation.

With that said, I would be prepared for the ship NOT to dock, and if it does, see what is happening outside. Last night there were lots of people in the streets.  With kiddos at that age, I don't think you'd be out there at 10pm, so I probably would not worry too much.  

Honestly though, only you will know what your gut says when it's time to decide, and if it feels off, then stay on the ship.  There will be plenty of fun things to do, and some of the best times my kiddo and I have had on board have been when we've stayed on the ship and it empties off.

• Like 2

We're scheduled to be in San Juan next Wednesday (July 31) on the Breeze and at this point, honestly, I hope they just cancel and make other plans. We intended to walk to El Morro, visit La Fortaleza, and see the hanging umbrellas (which have apparently been taken down due to the protests). DH now says we are not getting off the ship - period (let's just say we were caught in the middle of a military coups once, held at gunpoint by foreign military with a group of tourists, our passports confiscated for several hours, and DH might be just a tad touchy about this issue, even after all these years...). *sigh*

An extra day in Grand Turk or St. Thomas (our ports before and after San Juan) - or heck, even an extra day at sea - would be better than cruising passed El Morro, but not being able to talk DH into actually walking over there. 

• Like 2

Saw on the news tens of thousands demonstrators took to the streets Monday. It looked like A war zone. Burned up cars. Tear gas used. It was awful.

my daughter would flip out if we took her kids off the ship with this going on.  The news did say 4 cruise lines had quit calling on San Juan.

• Like 1

Well, technically the Governor is still in office until next Friday.  And as the Secretary of State resigned before, his appointed successor may not appease the protestors.  But I would at least assume "celebrations" will continue for a few more nights.

Nevertheless, the situation will certainly be much calmer next week.

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I don't know that I want to be there for a bit yet - what kind of "celebrating" might happen next.

You are correct, the Captain just came on and said they had been informed that the National Parks are closed due to celebrations.  Other than that it appears things should be close to normal.  Will keep everyone updated, I plan to get off and walk around.

• Like 2

There is a cat rescue place in San Juan so if you are a cat lover walk along the walkway to the left of the dock for about 10 to 15 minutes and you will come across it, many friendly cats roaming around the area, we visit every time we are there, something to do for those of you who might not be able to visit the forts.

(only if you like cats of course😁)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just docked in SJ.  Rain on the way in, cleared up now. Captain came on earlier and said the two national parks were closed for celebrations.  We will be getting off later on.  All appears normal.   

49 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Appears there are celebrations, all is good.  

696C92C6-3D6A-485E-B434-34006FE27762.jpeg

7417AA42-99D9-4DF9-A14D-2B3B7A18A2F9.jpeg

Nice to have celebrations instead of protests that could turn violent or could be set upon by violent authorities.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Nice to have celebrations instead of protests that could turn violent or could be set upon by violent authorities.

Hate begats hate....violence begats violence, the differentiator is the word authority.  

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Just docked in SJ.  Rain on the way in, cleared up now. Captain came on earlier and said the two national parks were closed for celebrations.  We will be getting off later on.  All appears normal.   

Hopefully the parks will open before we dock next Wednesday. The main thing we really want to do is see El Morro, so if it's closed that nixes our reason to even get off the ship. The only other time we visited San Juan, we wanted to tour the fort but it was closed. We did San Cristobal instead. It's taken over 20 years for us to get back to San Juan and if El Morro is closed this time too, I'm going to assume we are just never meant to see it.