Giving out Email on Line

kruisey

On one of my roll Calls I gave out my Hotmail address not my private one just this Saturday,asking folks if they would be interested in Celebrating Canada Thanksgiving on board..I got an e-mail from Amazon giving me a code because they said I was requesting a password.I had opened an account for my sister in UK before she died on my Hotmail account in Amazon it has never been used to purchase anything and I had forgotten about it. I contacted Amazon and they reminded me I had a joint account with my sister at her UK address under my Hotmail  e-mail.    Someone obviously had been trying to get into that  account in Amazon.Amazon stores credit cards in its system.

Edited by kruisey
addition

Posting an email address in a roll call can contribute to fraud but there are many other places where is it also available. Maybe the best thing to do is open a free account that is only used for the roll call.

I have my own domain and can use any ID before the @. I have one just for the roll call and can easily block it after the roll call ends and would never use it for other purposes.

Edited by denmarks

Never ever post your email on a public open forum. It is a disaster in the making.  It opens up many of your private information to be used against you. As denmarks says get a single use one for any public use.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, denmarks said:

Posting an email address in a roll call can contribute to fraud but there are many other places where is it also available. Maybe the best thing to do is open a free account that is only used for the roll call.

I have my own domain and can use any ID before the @. I have one just for the roll call and can easily block it after the roll call ends and would never use it for other purposes.

I meant to post on your other thread with the large Roll Call document that you should have blocked out both the email addresses and the passenger names before posting the document.  I suppose if everyone was fine with posting it on the roll call, then NBD.  IDK what the answer is, other than to send those details via private email, but you have to give an email for everyone to send it to.  I have never attempted to organize a Roll Call.  We spend a lot of time on trip research as it is.

2 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

I meant to post on your other thread with the large Roll Call document that you should have blocked out both the email addresses and the passenger names before posting the document.  I suppose if everyone was fine with posting it on the roll call, then NBD.  IDK what the answer is, other than to send those details via private email, but you have to give an email for everyone to send it to.  I have never attempted to organize a Roll Call.  We spend a lot of time on trip research as it is.

The email addresses and names were given to me by each person. It is up to them what I post. City is already on this site.  You are in Oakville, ON. I recommend getting an address that is just used for the Roll Call.

Sometimes it can become necessary to post one's email address. However, even then it should never be posted in the clear. I'm always amazed when I see something like joebob@aol.com posted rather than joe bob at aol dot com. Yes, one can still ascertain your address and abuse it if they like but it's far less susceptible to being acquired automagically by an email address scraper.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, denmarks said:

The email addresses and names were given to me by each person. It is up to them what I post. City is already on this site.  You are in Oakville, ON. I recommend getting an address that is just used for the Roll Call.

But did they know you were going to post it on a public forum?  I would never give permission for some one to do that with mine and would be very upset if some one else did it.

10 minutes ago, denmarks said:

Yes, but we each choose what to display here as our location on CC.  But you indicated what I thought - people freely gave them.

1 minute ago, Potstech said:

But did they know you were going to post it on a public forum?  I would never give permission for some one to do that with mine and would be very upset if some one else did it.

I never asked for the info in this forum. I just have a link pointing to my Google Doc. They see the table and and post in this forum to list it. This is a public forum that anyone can see so if they meant to hide it they would have sent an email. To see my document they must click a link in my signature. No one outside of this forum knows my page exists.

6 minutes ago, denmarks said:

I never asked for the info in this forum. I just have a link pointing to my Google Doc. They see the table and and post in this forum to list it. This is a public forum that anyone can see so if they meant to hide it they would have sent an email. To see my document they must click a link in my signature. No one outside of this forum knows my page exists.

As long as you are communicating through the roll call, try to set up a Meet & Mingle and let others who are interested meet at the M&M to make plans.  I've seen Roll Calls where cruisers just used the roll call to organize a slot pull or a cabin crawl.  No e-mails needed to be exchanged.

Edited by Daniel A

14 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

As long as you are communicating through the roll call, try to set up a Meet & Mingle and let others who are interested meet at the M&M to make plans.  I've seen Roll Calls where cruisers just used the roll call to organize a slot pull or a cabin crawl.  No e-mails needed to be exchanged.

I organized a Meet and Greet and other activities in the past. This time I will only be a record keeper. I am waiting on others to organize activities.

4 hours ago, denmarks said:

I use, like you, a "cruise only" e-mail address.

What really bothers me is folks Post their last name on Roll Calls.

Tells folks that -- Sam and Suzy Smith, for West Podunk, will

be travelling for an extended period of time.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GeeDunk said:

I use, like you, a "cruise only" e-mail address.

What really bothers me is folks Post their last name on Roll Calls.

Tells folks that -- Sam and Suzy Smith, for West Podunk, will

be travelling for an extended period of time.

I look at the odds. What is the chance that someone who lives near West Podunk is actually looking through Cruise Critic. Maybe a major city may be something not to list.

I have used it before organizing  for instance my Afternoon teas.It is an e-mail were non important issues are discussed.My sister had Parkinson's and listened to audio books so did not have an e-mail of her own for purchasing.Never had this happen before on other things I have organized.Not necessary from CC but kind of a coincidence.

26 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I would NEVER live in West Podunk, now East Podunk is a fine place. They mow their yards and wear Formal clothing to dinner. 

Cruise Critic members live all over the world, many live within an hour of Podunkville. 

Many people on CC and other message boards post their full name and city where they live.That is just as unsafe as listing your e-mail address. Although I joined CC in 2008 I rarely posted here preferring cruises boards that had a PM feature where you can post freely.

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

Sometimes it can become necessary to post one's email address. However, even then it should never be posted in the clear. I'm always amazed when I see something like joebob@aol.com posted rather than joe bob at aol dot com. Yes, one can still ascertain your address and abuse it if they like but it's far less susceptible to being acquired automagically by an email address scraper.

You really think the harvesters do not search for at and dot in combination?

Without without spaces?

One dodge that might work better is to give you user name in reverse.  So I could post frs at something...

And of course say to reverse the name.

• Like 1

I have had my Hotmail since 1997, I sure that I have posted it here several times during the 8 years I have been a member. Never had any issue.

I guess that some people here never put their name on their suitecase too 😉

If you want to break in to someones house when they are away, my guess is that it's a lot easier just to search after cruising groups on Facebook. There you will find the dates, names and which town they come from... You don't even need to join the group.

9 hours ago, SRF said:

You really think the harvesters do not search for at and dot in combination?

Without without spaces?

One dodge that might work better is to give you user name in reverse.  So I could post frs at something...

And of course say to reverse the name.

A good scraper will find most things but at least spreading out email addresses will foil the cheap and dirty scrapers. Email addresses are pretty easy to come by in today's world. It's just how things are. One can get a ridiculous amount of information about pretty much anybody.

19 hours ago, denmarks said:

If you believe that you are hopelessly naive.  

The issue isn't with the giving of the e-mail address. It is with the ability of those that wish to do harm to obtain it. Once a "bad guy" has your e-mail, said "bad guy" can use a variety of methods to steal information. This information could be a username and password, CC information, date of birth, phone number, etc. Folks that have had training or taken it upon themselves to keep current on the various types of phishing know what to look for in an e-mail.

There are millions of people of all ages that when receiving a message from what appears to be a trusted source stating that they need to update their account and must follow a link and enter their current username, password and a new password, may not realize that this could be a scam to get your username and password.

We live in a world where just having a "cruise only" e-mail is not the "key". It's knowing what to do once you receive an e-mail. I have no affiliation with the link below and found it using a google search. On quick glance the information seems good. https://blog.malwarebytes.com/101/2017/06/somethings-phishy-how-to-detect-phishing-attempts/

Edited by JennyB1977

7 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

I have had my Hotmail since 1997, I sure that I have posted it here several times during the 8 years I have been a member. Never had any issue.

I guess that some people here never put their name on their suitecase too 😉

If you want to break in to someones house when they are away, my guess is that it's a lot easier just to search after cruising groups on Facebook. There you will find the dates, names and which town they come from... You don't even need to join the group.

People worry too much. My brother-in-law did not even want his name to be part of his email address. 

20 hours ago, Thrak said:

Your method of e-mail disguise definitely deters the spy-bots (and they are everywhere). But the other thing that people forget is that this is a public forum. Anything you post -- even on your r/c thread -- can be easily viewed by anyone who is a logged-on member of CC. When you get right down to it -- your ONLY protection on a public forum is your anonymity. I'm always surprised to see how many people think that they have some sort of 'invisibility cloak' (apologies to JK Rowling), when posting on their r/c threads!

• Like 1