Disembark Vancouver with police record?

dockman

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

If a cruise is going from Seattle to Alaska, without stops in Canada....I know it doesn't....but if it did could the person with the long ago DUI take that cruise?

It's not that there are no such cruises; it's that there can't be such cruises. A round-trip cruise from a US port returning to the same US port MUST stop at a foreign port. On an Alaska cruise, if not one in Canada, then where?
If such a cruise were to sail on over to Russia to meet the requirement, then Russian rules would come into play.

On 7/31/2019 at 11:39 AM, broberts said:

Certainly that would help with DUI, but what about warnings of other issues? Just how far should cruise lines go in warning people that past actions might disqualify them from entry into another country? It seems to me there are so many variables that the approach taken by cruise lines, (warn passengers that they are responsible for travel documentation), is the only practical approach.

Threads like this do help spread the word. Unfortunately people prone to not checking official entry requirements are less likely to use any other online resources.

IMO, adult  persons wishing  to travel  have to take the iniitiatve and no t  expect the cruise line or T A  to  be expected to advise.  of    any foreign  laws that MIGHT  impact one or more of their customers.        looking for  someone in all cases to  hand  hold and  do YOUR work for you.    In this 'easy information age' if  you do not reasearch blame yourself if you learn too late what you   should have researched for yourself.  If  TA of cruuiseline advised about the DUI and Canada but NOT some   other law and others got caughgt in a   B & E or a simple assaul t  conviction laws.   Customers would be screaming and blaming from now to eternity    Where would the  demanded flow of entry laws stop?.     We are not helpless children  or we should not  b e traveling internationally  without a 'keeper'   iMO

image.png.53622a46ef4e184b8f34d821e4808c9e.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, summer slope said:

This was a very informative thread.  I have two questions.  1)  Is there  a list someplace that lists prescription meds that are not allowed in other countries?  And 2)  If a cruise is going from Seattle to Alaska, without stops in Canada....I know it doesn't....but if it did could the person with the long ago DUI take that cruise?

The Jones act prevents Cruises from doing that. They can not originate and return to the US without stopping in another country, so this scenario could never happen. 

19 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Actually, it's the Passenger Vessel Services Act.  The Jones Act pertains to cargo.  The PVSA pertains to, wait for it, Passengers.

the Jones act prevents cabotage which is defined in the preamble of the act.  "Cabotage is the transport of goods or passengers between two points in the same country, alongside coastal waters, by a vessel or an aircraft registered in another country." 

12 hours ago, summer slope said:

This was a very informative thread.  I have two questions.  1)  Is there  a list someplace that lists prescription meds that are not allowed in other countries?  And 2)  If a cruise is going from Seattle to Alaska, without stops in Canada....I know it doesn't....but if it did could the person with the long ago DUI take that cruise?

I think question two has been already answered. But prescription drugs, and even over the counter drugs can be a minefield. Last year we were cruising around the Baltic. Our travelling companions from the UK asked me to buy some over the counter medication here in Australia for them, as it had been withdrawn from sale in the UK. I was happy to do this. But I decided to Google the status of the drug in Denmark, before our flight to Copenhagen. It turned out that that particular drug, although legally bought over the counter here in Australia was a prescription only drug in Denmark. Needless to say we didn’t take any with us. I had visions of us being detained at the airport, unable to produce a prescription. I don’t know of any list that covers which drugs are banned in certain countries but it is possible to Google and find the information.

4 hours ago, daisybertie said:

I think question two has been already answered. But prescription drugs, and even over the counter drugs can be a minefield. Last year we were cruising around the Baltic. Our travelling companions from the UK asked me to buy some over the counter medication here in Australia for them, as it had been withdrawn from sale in the UK. I was happy to do this. But I decided to Google the status of the drug in Denmark, before our flight to Copenhagen. It turned out that that particular drug, although legally bought over the counter here in Australia was a prescription only drug in Denmark. Needless to say we didn’t take any with us. I had visions of us being detained at the airport, unable to produce a prescription. I don’t know of any list that covers which drugs are banned in certain countries but it is possible to Google and find the information.

Just as a point of reference and an example... Lactaid pills are a prescription medication in the UK and are not available OTC.  I bring them with me.  

20 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Their ships are registered in the US, which allows them to do what foreign-registered ships may not.

Yes, I just wanted to point out that cruises from WA to AK without stopping in Canada do exist. The statements declaring this impossible failed to note the fact that those rules only apply to foreign registered ships.

13 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

the Jones act prevents cabotage which is defined in the preamble of the act.  "Cabotage is the transport of goods or passengers between two points in the same country, alongside coastal waters, by a vessel or an aircraft registered in another country." 

Where can I find this?

All I can find is this from the US CBP site (highlighting mine):

What is The Jones Act and The Passenger Vessel Services Act?

The Jones Act, 46 U.S.C § 55102, provides that the transportation of merchandise between U.S. points is reserved for U.S. - built, owned, and documented vessels pursuant to section 55102, a vessel may not provide any protection of the U.S. shipping industry by ensuring that only U.S. built, owned and documented vessels are allowed to transport merchandise between coastwise points within the U.S.

The Passenger Vessel Services Act, (PVSA), 46 U.S.C. § 55103 (b), places the same restrictions on the coastwise movement of people. It is this act that prohibits commercial vessels such as cruise ships from allowing passengers to board at one U.S. port and debark at another U.S. port.

Edited by Shmoo here

4 hours ago, broberts said:

Yes, I just wanted to point out that cruises from WA to AK without stopping in Canada do exist. The statements declaring this impossible failed to note the fact that those rules only apply to foreign registered ships.

The only ships that meet that requirement are the expedition ships down in the 100 people or less range (often 10-30 people range) and fairly expensive. None owned by any of the mainstream cruise lines.  Also they do not tended to leave from Seattle and go to Alaska and return on the same trip.  They tend to do short cruises (week or less) around Alaska or do one way Seattle to Alaska or Alaska to Seattle. 

The only "cruises" from Washington to Alaska with no stops in other countries are the ferry systems and small private ships. For 35 years of my life I lived half time in Yakutat and half in Seattle. Believe me, if I could have taken a cruise between the two points with no stops in Canada I would have been on it. ANYTHING is better than the landing strip in Sitka. The ferry is actually lovely, but hardly a cruise. Norwegian has an US registered ship that operates only in Hawaii, but I can't think of  any other major cruise line that has an US registered ship.  

On 8/3/2019 at 10:38 AM, Shmoo here said:

Where can I find this?

All I can find is this from the US CBP site (highlighting mine):

What is The Jones Act and The Passenger Vessel Services Act?

The Jones Act, 46 U.S.C § 55102, provides that the transportation of merchandise between U.S. points is reserved for U.S. - built, owned, and documented vessels pursuant to section 55102, a vessel may not provide any protection of the U.S. shipping industry by ensuring that only U.S. built, owned and documented vessels are allowed to transport merchandise between coastwise points within the U.S.

The Passenger Vessel Services Act, (PVSA), 46 U.S.C. § 55103 (b), places the same restrictions on the coastwise movement of people. It is this act that prohibits commercial vessels such as cruise ships from allowing passengers to board at one U.S. port and debark at another U.S. port.

Here is a link to the Jones act, which is part of the Merchant Marine Act of 1920.  http://huelladigital.univisionnoticias.com/cruceros-vacaciones-en-aguas-de-nadie/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Jones_Act_1920.pdf 

29 minutes ago, Peckishpixie said:

Here is a link to the Jones act, which is part of the Merchant Marine Act of 1920.  http://huelladigital.univisionnoticias.com/cruceros-vacaciones-en-aguas-de-nadie/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Jones_Act_1920.pdf 

OK, where does it say that passengers are covered?  I get that "cabotage" definition means merchandise and passengers, but I don't see where passengers are actually discussed in this act.  Only merchandise, purchase of ships for merchandise transportation, seaman necessary to transport said merchandise, insurance (for injury or death) for seaman, what kinds of ships can be used, all for the transportation of cargo.  Not passengers.

It's really very simple:

PSA - passengers

Jones Act - primarily non-passengers

Now back to deservedly getting a pair of silver Peerless bracelets slapped on you by the Canucks upon setting foot in their beautiful country for past "foolish youthful indiscretions" such as getting yourself plastered, placing your inebriated self behind the wheel of an automobile in order to attempt to drive to one's homestead in one piece, while placing the lives of those minding their own business around you in jeopardy

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

The only "cruises" from Washington to Alaska with no stops in other countries are the ferry systems and small private ships. For 35 years of my life I lived half time in Yakutat and half in Seattle. Believe me, if I could have taken a cruise between the two points with no stops in Canada I would have been on it. ANYTHING is better than the landing strip in Sitka. The ferry is actually lovely, but hardly a cruise. Norwegian has an US registered ship that operates only in Hawaii, but I can't think of  any other major cruise line that has an US registered ship.  

However, there are companies that could legally do such a cruise if they wanted to. For example Alaska Dream Cruises does cruises strictly within Alaska that begin in one US city and end in another.  Their ships are in the 40 to 76 passenger range. They could just as easily decide to start or end a cruise in Seattle because they are in compliance with PVSA for doing US cruises.  

https://www.alaskandreamcruises.com

Edited by npcl

On 7/27/2019 at 7:08 PM, TAD2005 said:

A ban is still in effect after 30 years for a US citizen ?   Doesn't Canada understand that young people do stupid things and when they mature, they are totally different persons ?   There should be some kind of statute of limitation on felonies like DUI and minor drug charges.  30 years ago, you could be sentenced in the US to many years of hard time for a single marijuana cigarette.   So you would have a felony charge on your record.  Now, it appears that pot is being made legal across Canada.   Would a felony drug charge based on marijuana still be a factor in admission these days ?

It is a controlled substance.  DUI's are not just for alcohol.