Shore Experience??

jeanlyon

15 minutes ago, DamianG said:

You are my kind of person, if we ever happened to share a dinner table I think we would get on very well. The use of "Would of" is a growing epidemic that I find hugely irritating!

I shall look forward to it! Of course, none of this irritates me more than the fact that the letters ‘t’ and ‘g’ seem to have disappeared from English pronunciation entirely. I can barely watch any interview with people like Sadiq Khan or Sky News’ Beth Rigby without screaming at the TV “meetin’, thinkin’, behavin’, actin’, droppin’ etc etc. Drives me nuts!

Edited by Selbourne

44 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I shall look forward to it! Of course, none of this irritates me more than the fact that the letters ‘t’ and ‘g’ seem to have disappeared from English pronunciation entirely. I can barely watch any interview with people like Sadiq Khan or Sky News’ Beth Rigby without screaming at the TV “meetin’, thinkin’, behavin’, actin’, droppin’ etc etc. Drives me nuts!

Aint nothink wrong with that.

14 hours ago,  Ranchi said: 

Well, I am just grateful that we again can disembark rather than the debark as was prevalent a few years ago. 

I still post debark cos I forget how to spell disemthingy sometimes,lol.

I sincerely hope that I didn’t offend you Brian. I hadn’t noticed that you used ‘debark’, it was more the tannoy announcements on the ship that irritated me. 

Whilst we are on about irritations, my pet hat in the media is the substitution of k for x  as in ‘sickty’ for sixty. I wait with bated breath for the news report when the international cub jamboree is laid low by NV. 

‘Sickty sick sick sickers sent home from cub camp. ‘

As for Baltics...where is the other?

3 hours ago, Clodia said:

"Would of" first appeared in a pupil's work about 1980, when I was a young English teacher. It's been around a long time despite my and others' best efforts to eradicate it!

Oh don't me started on that "would of", could of".  Grrrrr!  All arisen from verbal "would've".  don't they ever look at what they have written and wonder if it makes sense?

5 hours ago, DamianG said:

You are my kind of person, if we ever happened to share a dinner table I think we would get on very well. The use of "Would of" is a growing epidemic that I find hugely irritating!

Me too. Also "I am/was stood" instead of "I am/was standing" and "I am/was sat" instead of "I am/was sitting", which over the last ten years or so seems to have become almost universal. Nobody would dream of saying "I was ran" instead of "I was running."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Terrible, isn't it (or should I say "is it not"?)

What really beggars belief is that Beth Rigby went to Cambridge, as did her father. 

Not an irritation but I did find it amusing that ‘amnt I’ was used (I didn’t dare put in any apostrophes! ) quite commonly in the Aberdeen area. On reflection it does make more sense than the more usual ‘aren’t I’

25 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

Not an irritation but I did find it amusing that ‘amnt I’ was used (I didn’t dare put in any apostrophes! ) quite commonly in the Aberdeen area. On reflection it does make more sense than the more usual ‘aren’t I’

I haven’t noticed that, but one that I can never understand is the use of the made up word ‘yous’ in places like Liverpool. I wondered if it was a misguided belief that it is a plural of ‘you’ but I’m sure that I hear people saying it to individuals. Confused. 

Just checked my Holiday information booklet for  Arcadia J915 . It refers to Shore Experiences, which I admit I hadn’t noticed had changed, but refers to the accommodation as “cabin” all the time, no mention of “room”.

Yous(e) is heard on Teesside but I don’t recall hearing it up the road on Tyneside. 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I haven’t noticed that, but one that I can never understand is the use of the made up word ‘yous’ in places like Liverpool. I wondered if it was a misguided belief that it is a plural of ‘you’ but I’m sure that I hear people saying it to individuals. Confused. 

So...   are we also going to find meaningful words that represent the terms Forward, Aft, Port and Starboard.  I do understand what the terms mean, but once inside the ship they lose their meaning for me because I have a poor sense of direction and so cannot remember which way I am heading.  

Maybe it does not help that I usually choose Midship Cabins, sorry rooms (stateroom makes me think you are lying in state).  I have, as an example, spent 21 nights on the NCL Epic.  I still could not tell you if the theatre is forward or aft.  

1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

So...   are we also going to find meaningful words that represent the terms Forward, Aft, Port and Starboard.  I do understand what the terms mean, but once inside the ship they lose their meaning for me because I have a poor sense of direction and so cannot remember which way I am heading.  

Maybe it does not help that I usually choose Midship Cabins, sorry rooms (stateroom makes me think you are lying in state).  I have, as an example, spent 21 nights on the NCL Epic.  I still could not tell you if the theatre is forward or aft.  

Never been on NCL but every ship I’ve been on so far the theatre has been forward, once I figured that out I didn’t got lost!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Selbourne said:

"Yous" is the archaic vocative plural, from the days when early English still had a degree of inflexion. For some reason it just stuck around in Liverpool, and usually it's used like the French "vous" though recently people have started using it to individuals!  ( I grew up in Liverpool though I don't live there now.)

• Thanks 1

Apart from the already mentioned 'would of', 'could of', etc. the thing I find most annoying and worrying at the moment is the number of people who can't speak a single sentence without the word 'like' in it.  I was listening to a Radio 5 interview with a teenager the other day and it got so I was listening for the next 'like' rather than  to what he was saying.  It's not only teenagers who do this.  Where on earth did this habit come from?

Edited by annieuk
mis-type
  • Like 2

Basically, like, have all replaced umm or err before thinking for the next word. It's really annoying and TV presenters shouldn't be doing it. 

Passengers Pay, Guests don't. So if I'm referred to as a Guest, then I'm not paying.

Virgin Cruises are calling everyone "Sailors", being an ex Royal Navy Sailor, if you are called that, then you better get to work, rather than lazy around.

• Like 1