Journey July 29 departure

beachseeker

We last sailed on Azamara 2 years ago and it’s been over 3 since we have sailed on the Journey.  Ship is just as we remembered, everything looking very nice.  The embarkation was super easy.  The entertainment last night was really good with some very talented musicians on board. However, we are going to miss Max and Ed on the piano.  The piano player is not as entertaining.  Cruise Director is Danny and he seems personable.  Only disappointment was the meet and greet.  Officers were introduced and dismissed.  Cruise Director had us introduce ourselves and then he left.  Not the usual interaction between officers and passengers that we are used to seeing.  We are traveling with 6 people new to Azamara and I encouraged them to attend because in the past we have enjoyed getting to visit with some of the officers. Other than the captain, all the officers are names I do not recognize.  Not bad, just a lot of new names and faces. We were disappointed to hear that Mariano is no longer with Azamara.  Our all time bartender will be missed!

All in all, a nice start to our Baltic cruise.  

No idea who anyone is either. Danny is a new name for me, Heike and Eric just went home.  Last I was on a few bartenders were on I knew. Most officers and crew I know  are on Pursuit.  Never heard if your favorite bartender. Hope you have fun. 

1 hour ago, beachseeker said:

We last sailed on Azamara 2 years ago and it’s been over 3 since we have sailed on the Journey.  Ship is just as we remembered, everything looking very nice.  The embarkation was super easy.  The entertainment last night was really good with some very talented musicians on board. However, we are going to miss Max and Ed on the piano.  The piano player is not as entertaining.  Cruise Director is Danny and he seems personable.  Only disappointment was the meet and greet.  Officers were introduced and dismissed.  Cruise Director had us introduce ourselves and then he left.  Not the usual interaction between officers and passengers that we are used to seeing.  We are traveling with 6 people new to Azamara and I encouraged them to attend because in the past we have enjoyed getting to visit with some of the officers. Other than the captain, all the officers are names I do not recognize.  Not bad, just a lot of new names and faces. We were disappointed to hear that Mariano is no longer with Azamara.  Our all time bartender will be missed!

All in all, a nice start to our Baltic cruise.  

The meet and greet is a difficult one. Some are better than others. All the ones I've been to have been the same, introduce some of the officers and then dismiss them. The way it's done of course is down to personality. Eric De Gray and Russ Grieve when he was with Azamara are masters. Danny is still learning. 

If I was honest, my overall experience has been that a larger percentage of roll callers are not much into meeting and mingling anyway. Unless it's for rendezvous for an organised tour which  like the party itself Azamara are happy to facilitate (unlike Princess). So it's what you all make it. 

Yes. Mariano was great, wasn't he?  Miss him and his always smiling face. 

Phil 

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The meet and greet is a difficult one. Some are better than others. All the ones I've been to have been the same, introduce some of the officers and then dismiss them. The way it's done of course is down to personality. Eric De Gray and Russ Grieve when he was with Azamara are masters. Danny is still learning. 

If I was honest, my overall experience has been that a larger percentage of roll callers are not much into meeting and mingling anyway. Unless it's for rendezvous for an organised tour which  like the party itself Azamara are happy to facilitate (unlike Princess). So it's what you all make it. 

Yes. Mariano was great, wasn't he?  Miss him and his always smiling face. 

Phil 

I too miss Mariano too but guys like Pitoon are great also. 

The Cruise Critic Social (how they promote it these days! as Beachseeker describes it is exactly as I’ve experienced over the last few years on Pursuit and Journey although on Pursuit the CD kept the microphone for much longer so it was a rattle round the room with the mike not the longer interaction between cruiser and others that Eric and Alicia do. The only time I’ve seen officers for longer is when it’s not been on Day 1. If the social is around or just after sailing there’s never any marine officer and the hotel staff are there for a very short time as they’re still handling embarkation issues. 

The other challenges because of scheduling they only have the venue for 45 minutes max and there may be an event before (eg. Seminar at Sea) group before and as happened in May they overran and even after being asked to move on were  a little slow to do so. Eric did well to manage the social in 30 mins 

Like Phil given timing challenges unless I’m connecting with tour folks it’s only 50% likely I make it but I always find CC folks onboard after and connect that way. 

• Like 1

Sad to say my lemon martini  last night was not up to Marino’s standard!  But no worries, I will keep trying.  

Our butler is Ronald who was our butler on a previous cruise.  Nice to see a familiar face!

1 hour ago, beachseeker said:

Sad to say my lemon martini  last night was not up to Marino’s standard!  But no worries, I will keep trying.  

Our butler is Ronald who was our butler on a previous cruise.  Nice to see a familiar face!

If he is on ship I get Ronald. He knows everything I need or want in the cabin. I know Toon but thought he joined the Pursuit with everyone else.

My friend Christine and her husband Malcolm are on this cruise too. We drove down to Southampton on Sunday evening to meet them for dinner the night before as they live in Lancashire so we don’t see them often. 

I look forward to reading your reports on how the cruise is going. 

First port was a hit today.  3 couples did the walking tour with the Diamond Museum.  Brugge was a delightful surprise.  All ports on this cruise are new for us.  We could have skipped the Diamond Museum and replace it with free time in the quaint medieval town, but overall a good excursion.  Dinner tonight in Discoveries did not disappoint and currently in the Living Room listening to the Fancy Triplets.  Love their music!  

The white night is the first night in St Petersburg and we have a night visit to the Faberge Museum previously booked with a private tour guide.  I really wish we could find out ahead of time when white night is going to be held.  I had my newbies all excited about white night and they are disappointed that we are going to miss a lot of the festivities.  

Amsterdam tomorrow!

• Like 1

Azamazing evening was last night at the Maritime Museum in Amsterdam with a choir and a very talented string orchestra.  Nicely done. We arrived and left by canal boats.  Definitely the quickest arrival and departure for an Azamazing evening. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, beachseeker said:

Azamazing evening was last night at the Maritime Museum in Amsterdam with a choir and a very talented string orchestra.  Nicely done. We arrived and left by canal boats.  Definitely the quickest arrival and departure for an Azamazing evening. 

Glad to hear you enjoyed the event and that the transport was efficient.  We are on the next cruise and have the same event.

On 7/30/2019 at 7:17 AM, beachseeker said:

Find Manuel; he is a martini expert!  He was at the PrimeC bar a couple cruises ago.

Laurie: Could you, or someone else on the current Journey cruise find out which cruise terminal the ship will be using in Copenhagen?  A number of us on CC have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get a firm answer.  The three terminals are not close to each other, and we would not want to go to the wrong one.  Thank you.

4 hours ago, Lady's Mom said:

Laurie: Could you, or someone else on the current Journey cruise find out which cruise terminal the ship will be using in Copenhagen?  A number of us on CC have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get a firm answer.  The three terminals are not close to each other, and we would not want to go to the wrong one.  Thank you.

Do you have your cruise docs?  There’s usually a page that has the address on it.  What I have found is Copenhagen Freeport “Frihaven” berth #245

Edited by laurieb

1 hour ago, laurieb said:

Do you have your cruise docs?  There’s usually a page that has the address on it.  What I have found is Copenhagen Freeport “Frihaven” berth #245

In Copenhagen Port web page it says Azamara Journey at Nordre Tollbod C177

18ACFE24-3826-44BD-9DD9-D56679B27FC3.png

In the Kiel Canal today for a nice restful day.  We had our first negative experience last night in Aqualina.  Dinner last 2.5 hours and we missed the evening show.  Two tables were seated after us and they were eating their desserts before we were served our 2nd course.  DH spoke to manager and things moved along but negative experience could not be taken back. Lots of excuses but the fact is the waiter ignored us in favor of smaller tables with guests that he had served on previous nights. Food was very good.  Frustrating on our part as we are traveling with 3 couples that are new to Azamara based on our recommendation (bragging).  Fingers crossed this is our only disappointment.  

10 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

In Copenhagen Port web page it says Azamara Journey at Nordre Tollbod C177

18ACFE24-3826-44BD-9DD9-D56679B27FC3.png

Captain Johannes is quite sure this is where the Journey will be docked ( NORDRE TOLDBOD) , but is verifying it; I'll let you know when I hear back from him

We have often found slower service at large tables.   They have to wait until everyone’s first course is ready until serving.   They do the same for every course.   You also have to wait until everyone finishes a course to get the next course.   A table for 8 will take much longer to dine than one for two.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We have often found slower service at large tables.   They have to wait until everyone’s first course is ready until serving.   They do the same for every course.   You also have to wait until everyone finishes a course to get the next course.   A table for 8 will take much longer to dine than one for two.

Our experience, too.

1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

Our experience, too.

And ours also, especially, if you are dining with those that you do not know. First of all you have to wait for the table to fill, then for everyone to introduce themselves, then for each person to look at the menu and decide on their choices.....