International Cafe

majortom10

41 minutes ago, Potstech said:

So now it is bad manners to not do what you want othets to do.  Sorry but many will disagree with you. I will continue to sit there and read until Princess indicates otherwise.  And I will enjoy myself.

I, actually, laugh out loud when I read what the OP posted.  A coffee shop in any town is there to sell coffee, etc.  The Piazza on Princess Ships are there for everyone to enjoy whether they are eating, reading, playing cards, drinking or watching an activity.  Husband and I do not ever sit in the area of the IC, as I do feel this is meant for those getting food/drink.  Otherwise,  any of the other tables and chairs are there for EVERYONE ON THE CRUISE, and we do sit at these tables and play cards.  I cannot imagine that anyone would think otherwise.  As far as not being able to take food or drink to deck 6 or 7, is a new one for me.  I would have a hard time conforming to a request to leave that deck...

• Like 2

I think you need to put some of the blame back on the cruise lines.    They need to build ships with more interior seating space.   Not everyone wants to sit outside and with cooler weather cruises you can't always sit out side.      I want to be in the atrium to enjoy the entertainment  and people watch.   Should I have to stand the whole time,   which a lot of times I do.     No and I don't want to sit in some dark bar away from things.   As long as the cruise lines don't post signs limiting seating time I will continue to get my drink or food and sit and enjoy.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

This is one of my pet peeves too!  For those that say 'I like to sit and read and/or people watch' -- there are many comfortable chairs, some with tables, around the Piazza area, that are perfect for this.  But it seems the limited number of bistro tables with chairs immediately adjacent to the IC are intended for people eating the items they have just acquired there.  

Last year on the Regal we couldn't find a place to sit and eat our dessert that we'd picked up at the IC because people were just sitting there in all the tables playing games.  So we took our plates up a level, and a waiter approached us and said we weren't supposed to bring food to that level and asked if we could quickly consume our dessert.  So yep, the people sitting there taking up all the tables playing games DID impact me.  Was it a vacation-killer?  No, of course not.  Was it annoying?  YES

I think the point is  most people who would sit there and consume food would only be there a few minutes, thus the tables would turn over quickly and everyone could use them.  But when people sit there for HOURS playing games etc. then no one else can use them.  And there are many other venues around the ship to play games or read.  

I have never heard that these tables are for IC use only. Never saw a waiter chase someone away.

39 minutes ago, #love2cruise said:

As far as not being able to take food or drink to deck 6 or 7, is a new one for me.  I would have a hard time conforming to a request to leave that deck...

I was always getting lattes from New Grounds at the I.C.  Hubby loved the pastries there.  Often the line behind us to pick up items was getting long, so I would find an open table to just stop at briefly to organize my coffee (transfer to my drink cup, add sugar) toss the paper cup away and move on, leaving the table for someone else.

We took our items (if I was alone I walked the stairs) to the smoking lounge one deck above on 6.  Never even had a sideways look for carrying it there, even when we took the elevator.

I understand what your saying. It does get crowded as it is the center hub of the Piazza.

This is why DH and I go to the IC early in the morning (before 7 am) to enjoy the coffee and the view of the ocean. It starts getting busy after 8 am. There have been times that we could not find a seat and we would go hunting for an area where we could enjoy the view. Granted it can be a bit of a walk but that's a good thing. We do not mind.

I have also seen families using the Horizon Court dining tables for games too. Kind of like using your kitchen table to play games eh? As long as I can sit down and eat my meal it does not bother me.

1 minute ago, greenie082756 said:

I have also seen families using the Horizon Court dining tables for games too. Kind of like using your kitchen table to play games eh? As long as I can sit down and eat my meal it does not bother me.

It doesn't bother me either, as long as there are still tables for people to sit and eat.  If people are playing games at what would reasonably be called a 'meal time' and then people who would like to eat can't find an empty table, that is inconsiderate IMO.

And no one is saying people can't sit in the Piazza and play games, or people watch, or whatever they want to do.  The complaint is the 6 or 8 tables immediately adjacent to the IC that appear to be for eating and/or drinking.  Would it be too much to ask that people could actually use them to eat or drink?  And ALL the rest of the multitude of tables and chairs in the Piazza could be used for everything else.  

• Like 2

These first world problems are astounding...

If the biggest problem is finding a seat on a cruise to eat the food or drink burnt sugar water known as coffee then please sign me up for your lives.

I mean come on folks this is not the worst thing that could happen, also to hear manners brought up it is also bad manners to complain about others manner. unless you just say bad manners and never study the actual list of mannerly things.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

So now it is bad manners to not do what you want othets to do.  Sorry but many will disagree with you. I will continue to sit there and read until Princess indicates otherwise.  And I will enjoy myself.

No its bad manners to sit in the area by the International Cafe where every table has a menu on it for coffees for a reason. If you can sit there not ordering coffee and occupying a table when you can see people who want to sit down and order coffees then I am afraid it says more about you and your attitude and bad manners.

• Like 3

Many are getting confused with the general area of the Piazza and the area at the side of IC which is designated area for purchasing coffees. I have no problem with anyone sitting in the Piazza area doing whatever they want but I am talking about the small designated area which is used for people to sit and order coffees/teas where people sit with no intention of buying coffees even though there is a menu on every table. I would never dream of sitting in this area unless I was purchasing/drinking coffee when there are people wandering around or waiting for a table to become vacant so that they can place an order. Seemingly from some of the responses I seem to be in the minority and not be part of the "I am alright I will do what I want and couldnt care less about anyone else" attitude that many people have. Thankfully I will never join that group who are selfish and have no manners as I was never brought up like that to be so inconsiderate. 

I think the tables immediately adjacent to the IC should be for people eating and drinking. It is a cafe, where food and beverages are served, as opposed to seating and tables in non-food venue. Would you walk into Vines, not order any wine and set up your checkers game? No.  How is this any different? If the IC was more enclosed with the tables all on the inside, more like Vines, then maybe people wouldn't do it.  I would not linger in those tables if not consuming food or drinks and I knew there was demand for table.  If nobody is around then fine.  But there is nothing more annoying than getting food and having nowhere to sit down and eat it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

It doesn't bother me either, as long as there are still tables for people to sit and eat.  If people are playing games at what would reasonably be called a 'meal time' and then people who would like to eat can't find an empty table, that is inconsiderate IMO.

And no one is saying people can't sit in the Piazza and play games, or people watch, or whatever they want to do.  The complaint is the 6 or 8 tables immediately adjacent to the IC that appear to be for eating and/or drinking.  Would it be too much to ask that people could actually use them to eat or drink?  And ALL the rest of the multitude of tables and chairs in the Piazza could be used for everything else.  

I agree with your sentiment 100% but it seems we are in the minority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waltd said:

I think you need to put some of the blame back on the cruise lines.    They need to build ships with more interior seating space.   Not everyone wants to sit outside and with cooler weather cruises you can't always sit out side.      I want to be in the atrium to enjoy the entertainment  and people watch.   Should I have to stand the whole time,   which a lot of times I do.     No and I don't want to sit in some dark bar away from things.   As long as the cruise lines don't post signs limiting seating time I will continue to get my drink or food and sit and enjoy.   

I agree with you.  Why Princess chooses to build ships with no interior pool(s) and subsequent sitting and lounging areas is beyond me.  We don't even generally swim, but we have enjoyed ships that have big inside (warm) areas during cooler cruises.  We really missed having a place to hang out on our Emerald to Hawaii this past February.

FWIW, I have seen IC coffee/tea menus on most all of the tables in the Atrium area - not just the tables directly beside the food cases.  I guess that means that all the tables/chairs should be reserved for IC "customers" only?  Even during the many activities happening during the day and into the night?  

As for the playing games and cards in the Horizon Court during meal times, I just don't get it.  That area is clearly for dining purposes (no activities like line dancing or music or anything else happens there).  I guess it wouldn't hurt anything for people to have a few hours of games during off hours, but not at noon on a cool, rainy sea day when everyone is "trapped" inside.  

11 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

Would you walk into Vines, not order any wine and set up your checkers game?

Actually, I've seen game players in Vines quite often.  Most noticeably. I've seen it at the "Stamtisch" table, but I have seen people who have moved some of the smaller tables, together to allow five or six people to play.

Two other things that are not uncommon at all is to see people sitting at Vines, enjoying their specialty coffees or their noshes from the IC or to see people sitting at Vines watching or listening to the Piazza entertainment.

Now, I believe that Vines, generally, not open until 4:00 pm.  Why shouldn't people use available space?  On the other hand I have never seen Vines servers shoo game players away once they are open.  On our last cruise, my wife and I went down to Vines for wine and noshes at about 5:30 pm.  All the smaller tables were occupied--three of them by card players.  There was, also, a game in process with three players at the Piazza end of the Stammtisch table.  We took two seats at the other end of that table.  The server came over and served us.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Actually, I've seen game players in Vines quite often.  Most noticeably. I've seen it at the "Stamtisch" table, but I have seen people who have moved some of the smaller tables, together to allow five or six people to play.

Two other things that are not uncommon at all is to see people sitting at Vines, enjoying their specialty coffees or their noshes from the IC or to see people sitting at Vines watching or listening to the Piazza entertainment.

Now, I believe that Vines, generally, not open until 4:00 pm.  Why shouldn't people use available space?  On the other hand I have never seen Vines servers shoo game players away once they are open.  On our last cruise, my wife and I went down to Vines for wine and noshes at about 5:30 pm.  All the smaller tables were occupied--three of them by card players.  There was, also, a game in process with three players at the Piazza end of the Stammtisch table.  We took two seats at the other end of that table.  The server came over and served us.

I guess to clarify, if no demand then do as you please. If high demand for eaters and drinkers to sit down, probably find another place to play games if you are not also eating and drinking, and if you’re doing both then that’s cool.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

No its bad manners to sit in the area by the International Cafe where every table has a menu on it for coffees for a reason. If you can sit there not ordering coffee and occupying a table when you can see people who want to sit down and order coffees then I am afraid it says more about you and your attitude and bad manners.

Sorry do not buy the idea that sitting in an area the venue allows and not moving is bad manners. Yes it says a lot about me, my manners and my attitude. Fortunately it is the way I am and if it bothers you then that is your problem.  Keep on expecting others to placate you and your ideas as you will continue to be disappointed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Many are getting confused with the general area of the Piazza and the area at the side of IC which is designated area for purchasing coffees. I have no problem with anyone sitting in the Piazza area doing whatever they want but I am talking about the small designated area which is used for people to sit and order coffees/teas where people sit with no intention of buying coffees even though there is a menu on every table. I would never dream of sitting in this area unless I was purchasing/drinking coffee when there are people wandering around or waiting for a table to become vacant so that they can place an order. Seemingly from some of the responses I seem to be in the minority and not be part of the "I am alright I will do what I want and couldnt care less about anyone else" attitude that many people have. Thankfully I will never join that group who are selfish and have no manners as I was never brought up like that to be so inconsiderate. 

And how is this area "designated" by Princess?  Guess what it is not in any way.

• Like 1

The public areas on any ship are public and always available on a first come first served basis.

If you are finding a particular area too crowded, then get up off your posterior a bit earlier to go find a seat.

You are onboard a ship with several thousand other paying passengers, don't expect them to adjust their vacation to your convenience.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, grouchomarx said:

I guess to clarify, if no demand then do as you please. If high demand for eaters and drinkers to sit down, probably find another place to play games if you are not also eating and drinking, and if you’re doing both then that’s cool.

I think we are, pretty much on the same page, groucho.  Typically, late in the afternoon, the game players are wrapping up and getting ready for dinner.  So, yes, once Vines starts to get busy, their numbers start to decline.  Again, however, staff does not do anything to make them unwanted or, otherwise, uncomfortable.  I agree with that, also.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, #love2cruise said:

I, actually, laugh out loud when I read what the OP posted.  A coffee shop in any town is there to sell coffee, etc.  The Piazza on Princess Ships are there for everyone to enjoy whether they are eating, reading, playing cards, drinking or watching an activity.  Husband and I do not ever sit in the area of the IC, as I do feel this is meant for those getting food/drink.  Otherwise,  any of the other tables and chairs are there for EVERYONE ON THE CRUISE, and we do sit at these tables and play cards.  I cannot imagine that anyone would think otherwise.  As far as not being able to take food or drink to deck 6 or 7, is a new one for me.  I would have a hard time conforming to a request to leave that deck...

OP specifically mentioned the sitting area adjacent to the IC and not the entire piazza.  The word "piazza" does not even appear in the post.  OP is saying that people who are not eating or drinking should not take up the tables in the IC seating area.  Apparently, based on your comment you agree with that so not sure why you would laugh out loud reading OP's post?  

It is a pet peeve of mine also that people hang out in that area.  I think the waiters should ask them every 10 minutes or so if they would like to order something...

One way for Princess to solve this problem is to place a railing around the tables (as to enclose )  the IC.   I think there might be one on Regal, but the other tables are outside the railing.  As I recall on Regal they are tables for two.

If Princess had a space for game/card players, that would be nice too.  I know that one of the specialty restaurant is use sometimes for this, but there needs to be a space for games and card playing more than a few hours a day.  The library will not due,  PAX go there to read or do puzzles, plus the room is not that large with one long table (on Regal). 

Playing cards in the cabin, well balcony and down cabins have only one chair now. I don't know if they still have the table.  That is out for me at least.

Seating is needed for all to enjoy, Princess just needs to find a solution.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1