GDR - Table for Two and Time Questions

ricka47

My wife and I will be taking our first O cruise this October.  We'll be the Insignia for an 11-night Caribbean cruise from MIA.  We're looking forward to it as we hope that it will be a step up from HAL and X.  I like the idea of a single evening dress code and no set times for dining.   We greatly enjoy Aqua class on X and it seems to me like Oceania has a similar concept but applies it to the whole ship.

But, I do have a few questions about dinner:

1.)  Are tables for two generally fairly easy to obtain or is there often a wait at peak times - 7ish or so?

2.)  It appears that there is a single show each evening and that is usually at 9:30 each evening for a typical Caribbean cruise.  Is that the case? 

3.)  Is two hours a good time to generally plan for dinner?

Edited by ricka47

1) We always go when the MDR opens (6:30) as we like to eat early - no problem to get table for 2. 6:30 is not so different from 7. You can try your luck at 7 and if you have no problem continue that - otherwise go a little earlier.

2) Yes

3) Yes

• Like 1

We usually have a table for two and have never had to wait in the MDR.  The host/hostess will quickly learn your names and remember your preferences.  That being said, if they are busy, they may ask you if you would care to share a table.  You can probably scope the other parties out, and decide for yourselves.  We've done that a few times, and enjoyed the company.  Two hours would generally be fine.

1 minute ago, AlaskaNewbie68 said:

Thanks for bringing this up. We are first timers also. Am I correct that no reservations are needed in the MDR? Thank you. 

correct

just show up during opening hours

Reservation are required for the Specialties though & best to book as soon as your date is available ..that date will be noted on your invoice or in :MY ACCOUNT"  on Oceania website

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

1.)  Are tables for two generally fairly easy to obtain or is there often a wait at peak times - 7ish or so?

2.)  It appears that there is a single show each evening and that is usually at 9:30 each evening for a typical Caribbean cruise.  Is that the case? 

The show time is usually the same for all itineraries ...some exceptions may apply so do check the CURRENTS  daily

2 tops are available but it can also depend on how many others also want  2 tops   you may  have a short wait  or you  may get a table for 4 all to yourselves 

As I have often mentioned, we usually ask to share ... but a number of times there were no tables open when we got there (usually 7:30-8) and so we ended up at a two-top ... so it's often the luck of the draw.

Mura

Our experience in the GDR for 2 tops has been similar to those mentioned above.  Where you might find more difficulty is reserving a 2 top in the specialty restaurants.  As soon as your reservation date opens online, you will probably want to make those reservations ASAP.  Suites get to reserve first, then Concierge, etc.  If dining time is more important than 2 top, you may want to select "sharing" when choosing your reservations.  We have had nice evenings with many sharing guests.  Some have posted of having an uncomfortable shared experience.  Hopefully, those are rare.  Nonexistent for us.  Enjoy Insignia!

Katie

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

Our experience in the GDR for 2 tops has been similar to those mentioned above.  Where you might find more difficulty is reserving a 2 top in the specialty restaurants.  As soon as your reservation date opens online, you will probably want to make those reservations ASAP.  Suites get to reserve first, then Concierge, etc.  If dining time is more important than 2 top, you may want to select "sharing" when choosing your reservations.  We have had nice evenings with many sharing guests.  Some have posted of having an uncomfortable shared experience.  Hopefully, those are rare.  Nonexistent for us.  Enjoy Insignia!

Katie

I’ve had a couple of bizarre sharing dinners and quite a few really enjoyable ones. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I’ve had a couple of bizarre sharing dinners and quite a few really enjoyable ones. 

We've had the same experience across cruise lines. I always try to be positive. However,  one was particulary bad in which a husband was clearly past his drink limit and despite his wife obviously kicking him under the table, could not stop his ignorant, insulting comments of everyone and everything. We noticed, for the remainder of the cruise, we never saw the couple together again. 

What I like about Oceania, with open seating, you are not stuck meal after meal with a boorish person(s).

7 hours ago, Earl Rosebery said:

Don’t forget the Terrace Cafe.   Wonderful food on your schedule.

And the Terrace usually has the same offerings as the GDR plus more! I like the casualness of the Terrace and not needing to sit for 2 hrs to eat.

If you get to the GDR at 6:30pm, you'll likely have no trouble getting a table for 2. The later it gets, the harder it becomes.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:18 AM, ricka47 said:

My wife and I will be taking our first O cruise this October.  We'll be the Insignia for an 11-night Caribbean cruise from MIA.  We're looking forward to it as we hope that it will be a step up from HAL and X.  I like the idea of a single evening dress code and no set times for dining.   We greatly enjoy Aqua class on X and it seems to me like Oceania has a similar concept but applies it to the whole ship.

1) 7PM might be getting crowded. On Riviera, we usually got there by around 6:45. Never had to wait more than a few min.

2) Yes. If you're used to big ticket shows, you might be disappointed. Most of the budget goes towards the food. So don't expect a really top notch show. They usually start slow & get better as the cruise advances.

3) Yes, unless it's in the specialties such as Le Reserve(which I don't think is on the smaller ships)

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:02 PM, LHT28 said:

The show time is usually the same for all itineraries ...some exceptions may apply so do check the CURRENTS  daily

2 tops are available but it can also depend on how many others also want  2 tops   you may  have a short wait  or you  may get a table for 4 all to yourselves 

We had a 4 top to ourselves In Jacques, as the couple assigned to our table were pretty obvious about not sharing a table with a gay couple.

37 minutes ago, keithm said:

1) 7PM might be getting crowded. On Riviera, we usually got there by around 6:45. Never had to wait more than a few min.

2) Yes. If you're used to big ticket shows, you might be disappointed. Most of the budget goes towards the food. So don't expect a really top notch show. They usually start slow & get better as the cruise advances.

3) Yes, unless it's in the specialties such as Le Reserve(which I don't think is on the smaller ships)

No, La Reserve is only on Marina and Riviera.

51 minutes ago, keithm said:

We had a 4 top to ourselves In Jacques, as the couple assigned to our table were pretty obvious about not sharing a table with a gay couple.

This happened to a good friend and her wife on another line. There are closed-minded mean-spirited people everywhere, sadly. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mura said:

Lots of progress has been made (I'm speaking of the U.S.)  but obviously, not enough.

Thanks, Mura.  Would you think it's 50/50?  I'm guessing not. 😞

I live in NYC and was a professional singer, so I know many gay people and many are very close friends.  But when I first got here (in 1970) many of them were in the closet.  They don't worry about that any more ... then again, this is NYC.

Two of my closest friends left NYC in the '90s and when they discovered what life was like "out there" they became activists.

Today is better than "then", no doubt.  I wouldn't try to give a percentage to "acceptance" -- a term I don't like any more than I like "tolerance".  But I remember in early days on Oceania when we sailed with a few gay couples and they certainly tried to blend in.  There are far more gays on board these days and they don't seem to worry about it.

To me that is progress.  If some people choose to leave a table because they can't be "soiled" by being in proximity to a ga couple, that is their loss.

One of my favorite stories is when we took a "Gypsy Feet" discount tour to Brazil in 1974.  This was on a Boston agency's tour that included three agencies.  We were in coach on a 707 as I recall, 3x3 seating.  We were sitting with a woman whose two sisters were sitting elsewhere.  She looked around and expressed surprise at the other passengers.  We informed her that Gypsy Feet was a gay organization.  (We hadn't realized that when we booked but saw no reason to change our plans.)  She really didn't understand gay people at all.  As far as she was aware, she'd never met any ...

Fast forward to a week later when we were returning.  We happened to be in the aisle with the escape hatch that has extra leg room.  A young man sat on the floor in front of her for most of the flight back to NY.  He was gay and she now considered him to be like her son ...

Mura

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keithm said:

well they probably were not worth knowing them  then

How rude of them  but I bet you enjoy your dinner without them

11 minutes ago, Mura said:

Fast forward to a week later when we were returning.  We happened to be in the aisle with the escape hatch that has extra leg room.  A young man sat on the floor in front of her for most of the flight back to NY.  He was gay and she now considered him to be like her son ...

I love that, Mura.  Thanks for sharing.

20 hours ago, LHT28 said:

well they probably were not worth knowing them  then

How rude of them  but I bet you enjoy your dinner without them

The woman explained to the waiter about to seat them: Sorry, but this just too close to the entrance. Really! If we were any further, we'd be eating outside the ship! Just her look as they approached the table said it all. We certainly had room to spare at that 4 top. The "Seabass for two" in puff pastry was outstanding. We highly recommend it, by the way.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AlaskaNewbie68 said:

This happened to a good friend and her wife on another line. There are closed-minded mean-spirited people everywhere, sadly. 

We've cruised Cunard/Celebrity/Princess & now enjoy Oceania. We found Cunard & Princess very gay friendly(both have daily LGBT meetings)Celebrity really does not do much promotion. Yes, there's a small placard on a bulletin board, but nothing in the daily paper. Oceania had one meeting on our trip last Jan. Having it right at dinner time is not too bright. Virtually no attendance. We do have to say, we've gotten more looks on Oceania than any other line. I think age has something to do with it, as we've found the average pax seems more elderly than those we've seen on other lines. One would like to think that pax on Oceania are a bit more "worldly" than other lines. As long as no "remarks" are made, we'll stick around Oceania. It's just too good a cruise line to let minor things make us go elsewhere.

Edited by keithm
spelling
  • Like 1