GoPro and Waterslides

28 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I just got a new GoPro... Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean allows you to use them while on water slides, ziplines, flowrider and Abyss?

I read somewhere that you need a chest mount for the slides. Not sure though, just something I remember reading.

6 hours ago, Hogbay said:

only on rock climbing and Abyss with attachment 🙂

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-i-use-my-recording-device-onboard

That’s exactly the info I needed. To bad though. I wonder why they would restrict them on the zip lines and water slides. They are commonly used on zip lines and if they allow them on abyss it seems odd the they restrict them on water slides. 

It makes no sense to me, but what do I know. 😁  Ask on board because like most things you get a different answer from different people. Some ships seems to have their own rules. Like the dress code where they say no shorts, but then they don't enforce it. I'm just saying. 😁

Edited by ReneeFLL

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

That’s exactly the info I needed. To bad though. I wonder why they would restrict them on the zip lines and water slides. They are commonly used on zip lines and if they allow them on abyss it seems odd the they restrict them on water slides. 

Sometimes forgiveness is better than asking ☺ if you have proper attachments and shirt covering or bandana that at the last minute opend ☺

There is a guy on youtube who has videos posted (I can only assume they were taken with a gopro or similar).  The videos I watched were of CocoCay - not sure those rules are different than from the ship.

As you know, just because he was allowed to do this a few months ago, doesn't mean you will be allowed to do this now 🙂

I only watched the CocoCay videos - he may have others posted of his time on the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I didn’t buy a GoPro because they are really for live action from your helmet or chest with no real functionality beyond that.  I use a small tripod camera mount and sit it at the bottom of the wave for videos, using either my Panasonic camera or my 4K NIkon point and shoot that are drop and waterproof.  It works great for the flowrider.  They will definitely not let you surf with it.  The shots from the bottom of the wave are great, and if you have a suction cup mount you can shoot from the side.  

JC

On 8/1/2019 at 3:03 AM, Tree_skier said:

Seems like it is not enforced consistently on the water slides. I have seen many youtube videos of people going down the slides...

On 8/1/2019 at 10:36 PM, mayleeman said:

For ziplines, they could have a concern about a camera falling on someone, and maybe they don't want to get into inspecting harnesses to decide which are ok or not.

Water slides, dunno.

Definitely a no on the Oasis class ziplines, but a yes for at least Labadee as long as it was a hear or chest mount. Here's the gopro video I made a couple years ago at the Labadee ziplines...

• Like 1