Looking for info re: SFO taxis

flamomo

in a few weeks we're flying into San Francisco the day before our AK cruise, and will need to take a cab to our hotel, which is in the Fisherman's Wharf area. The hotel does not offer shuttle service. We'll also need one from the hotel to the pier the following day.

Uber and Lyft were suggested by someone on our roll call, but we are not comfortable with that idea.

Can anyone comment on or make suggestions or provide tips about taxi service in San Francisco? Approximately what can we expect to be charged for each of our taxi trips?

Google says about $62 +tip from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf.

None of the hotels in San Francisco offer free shuttles!

Uber/Lyft will probably be less.

Fisherman's Wharf to the pier is a short ride so much less but not sure how much exactly.

Most folks in California use Uber/Lyft regularly especially for short rides.

What has you turned off to Uber/Lyft? Most people use them in San Francisco and because of this they've sort of laid waste to the traditional taxis. Most normal taxis are pretty tired cars (at least the 2 that I used a few weeks ago). You get a much better experience, safer, cleaner car with Uber/Lyft. 

OP, I understand that you are uncomfortable using Uber. In our area we do not have Uber and so were rather unfamiliar with the whole process (security, insurance, safety - the whole bit). We recently cruised with my sister and brother in law and had a two day port stay in San Francisco. We missed the ferry to Sausalito by mere minutes (drat! LOL) , and therefore needed another way to get there. BIL took charge and ordered us an Uber using the app on his phone; within 15 seconds, our driver pulled up and we were on our way (after confirming it was indeed our driver - the usual precautions). He was a great guy with a fascinating story to tell, and we thoroughly enjoyed our drive. We figured we saved at least $20.00 off the cab fare by using Uber. It was a good first experience for us. 😊

We visit SF frequently and recently (last five years) always use UBER.  It's quick, safe, and cost effective.  I used UBER in The City for work last summer to avoid looking for multiple parking spots all over the city.  It was much faster and cheaper.   At the end of my work I was able to go to the UBER site and print out all my charges to submit for reimbursement, very easy.  

5 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Google says about $62 +tip from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf.

None of the hotels in San Francisco offer free shuttles!

Uber/Lyft will probably be less.

Fisherman's Wharf to the pier is a short ride so much less but not sure how much exactly.

Most folks in California use Uber/Lyft regularly especially for short rides.

Thanks for the useful information. I appreciate that.

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

What has you turned off to Uber/Lyft? Most people use them in San Francisco and because of this they've sort of laid waste to the traditional taxis. Most normal taxis are pretty tired cars (at least the 2 that I used a few weeks ago). You get a much better experience, safer, cleaner car with Uber/Lyft. 

I can't be turned off by something I have not experienced!! It's a comfort level thing.

The reality is that I am a senior citizen and reside in a 55-plus community. We don't have Uber and Lyft. We use car services that are licensed and insured, when we need transportation to the airport, etc,. or are in a situation where we are not using our own vehicles.

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Shuttle (like SuperShuttle) will almost certainly be cheaper than taxi from the airport to your hotel.

The only time I have had transportation from SFO to a hotel in San Francisco was with Super Shuttle, and it was not a good experience.

Rude driver, who drove like a mad man. He dropped me and my luggage off at a corner about a half a block from the hotel entrance instead of pulling up to the portico in front of the hotel. He claimed that the shuttles were not permitted to enter the portico! I insisted that he at least take my luggage to the hotel, which he did grudgingly, but left them at the foot of the stairs leading up to the porch. The hotel manager saw me struggling to get my bags up the stairs and rushed out to help me. When I told him what the driver had said about not being allowed in the portico, he said that was an outright lie, and that taxis and shuttles always deliver passengers right to the bottom of the stairs. The next morning the manager told me he had reported the driver to Super Shuttle.

I have never used Super Shuttle again, even if it would have been cheaper.

27 minutes ago, flamomo said:

The reality is that I am a senior citizen and reside in a 55-plus community. We don't have Uber and Lyft. We use car services that are licensed and insured, when we need transportation to the airport, etc,. or are in a situation where we are not using our own vehicles.

I would encourage you to give it a try-- especially in San Francisco where they outnumber taxis. The San Francisco taxi fleet is, for the most part, tired and worn out. The Uber/Lyft options you get there are less expensive, in newer, safer cars. California law requires these drivers be covered by insurance-- for example, Uber drivers carry $1million when a passenger is in the car. 

You can utilize services like UberBlack, which wont be less expensive than taxis, but are with commercially insured and licensed drivers. 

16 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I would encourage you to give it a try-- especially in San Francisco where they outnumber taxis. The San Francisco taxi fleet is, for the most part, tired and worn out. The Uber/Lyft options you get there are less expensive, in newer, safer cars. California law requires these drivers be covered by insurance-- for example, Uber drivers carry $1million when a passenger is in the car. 

You can utilize services like UberBlack, which wont be less expensive than taxis, but are with commercially insured and licensed drivers. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I had never heard of UberBlack, but will look into it.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:56 AM, flamomo said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I had never heard of UberBlack, but will look into it.

It looks more like you have your own car and driver.  Black car better dressed driver.  Not any different than a normal UBER as far as safety and security goes.  

We do use UBER XL if we need a larger vehicle for six of us going to dinner or have luggage.  We have used UBER in Mexico and plan to use it in Europe in September if it's available where we go.  It's safe, reliable, easy, and cheap.  

On 8/7/2019 at 5:56 AM, flamomo said:

Uber and Lyft both have their HQ in Downtown San Francisco.

You can sign up here

https://www.lyft.com/rider

https://auth.uber.com/login/?uber_client_name=riderSignUp&

About

https://help.uber.com/riders

https://www.lyft.com/rider

Ubers market capitalization is about 68B

Lyft Market capitalization is about 17.25B

Both are corporate America. Both are developing driverless cars

Fully regulated in CA.

15 hours ago, IDsailor said:

Can two cruisers and three pieces of luggage and two carry ons fit into a regular Uber/Lyft of do I need to order up a van?

UberX will typically be a Honda Civic, Toyota Prius, etc-- cars like that. You can order an UberXL which is either an SUV or Minivan if you're worried about luggage, but typically my wife and I can use an UberX with the same luggage described-- on a few occasions one of the big pieces went into the front seat. 

Uber Black will typically be a Suburban SUV these days as most of the old Town Cars are off the road. Its a more expensive option but nicer car. Lyft has all of the corresponding categories and the cars are exactly the same. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 8:14 AM, flamomo said:

in a few weeks we're flying into San Francisco the day before our AK cruise, and will need to take a cab to our hotel, which is in the Fisherman's Wharf area. The hotel does not offer shuttle service. We'll also need one from the hotel to the pier the following day.

Uber and Lyft were suggested by someone on our roll call, but we are not comfortable with that idea.

Can anyone comment on or make suggestions or provide tips about taxi service in San Francisco? Approximately what can we expect to be charged for each of our taxi trips?

The last time I landed in SFO and needed transport to a hotel a mile or two south of the Princess terminal, I used Dave at this link. I was very pleased with the service and price. He picked us up in a Lincoln limosine. The price was a little over the price of a taxi I think, but the service was better, and the space for our luggage was  better also.....my wife doesn't pack light. <g>

We're cruising from SFO again in Feb 2020, and I have already contacted him for the SFO to hotel leg. I am probably going to ask about transport from the pier to SFO also. Otherwise I'll be checking prices, etc on this forum.....often the price is less because a larger vehicle for more people is available. Princess' airport transfer is about $58 I think; I figure I can do better than that.

Doug

On 8/6/2019 at 1:33 PM, princeton123211 said:

I would encourage you to give it a try-- .... UberBlack, which wont be less expensive than taxis, but are with commercially insured and licensed drivers. 

I arrived back at SFO at 11:59pm. Bart stops at 11:58 to Walnut Creek. I called my grandson at 1 bc I couldn't find a place to sleep at the airport until 4am when bart started again and asked if I could crash on his floor LOL. He or his boyfriend sent me an uber black Mercedes Benz car which arrived in 5 minutes looking for him. I had a pic of his car.  Super nice driver, impeccably clean car, loaded / unloaded my luggage (carry on only) and took me home waited while I got in & locked up (not nec as I'm in the burbs). No conversation which was great at 1am. 

Taking uber to / from bart for my October cruise! 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2019 at 12:58 PM, flamomo said:

I can't be turned off by something I have not experienced!! It's a comfort level thing.

The reality is that I am a senior citizen and reside in a 55-plus community. We don't have Uber and Lyft. 

We are about the same demographics and I was apprehensive the first time.  I urge you to upload the app and give it a try at home before you cruise.  You won't be disappointed.  

I read about horrible back ups at sfo for regular Uber when they initially changed the pick up area from curbside to one central location in parking garage.   Is this still the case?  Would prefer not to wait an hour for Uber pick up.  

1 hour ago, mina said:

I read about horrible back ups at sfo for regular Uber when they initially changed the pick up area from curbside to one central location in parking garage.   Is this still the case?  Would prefer not to wait an hour for Uber pick up.  

That is the reason we will probably just take the Princess Airport Transport (bus) like we did last time. Cost for two of us is $58 from the pier to the airport. I do not think Uber or a taxi is much less, but not sure. Someone here surely knows.

8 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

That is the reason we will probably just take the Princess Airport Transport (bus) like we did last time. Cost for two of us is $58 from the pier to the airport. I do not think Uber or a taxi is much less, but not sure. Someone here surely knows.

Uberestimate.com will get you a price range for Uber.

The other key point is efficient use of your time. The Princess bus will wait until full, and stop at all the terminals. Uber or taxi will not wait, and will go direct to your terminal. So if time is tight...