Perfect Day at CocoCay - on a budget

We haven't cruised (or had a vacation) in 9 years, and our upcoming sailing will be a real treat for us, even though we'll be on a budget.

I read on RCI what is included, and we're not interested in water slides, cabana or swimming ... just a few questions.

We plan to walk around, take a lot of pictures (I love photography), eat at the complimentary shacks and visit the straw market.

1.  The private island looks huge!  How long would it take to walk around and see most of it?  I just need an idea so I can book some other things back on board.

2.  Is the straw market worth purchasing from, or is it all over priced?

3.  Are there complimentary drinks on the island (water, iced tea, tea or coffee)?  Do we bring our own bottles or do they have plastic glasses?

4.  Chairs and umbrellas are complimentary, but are they hard to find, unless we get there asap?  

5.  If the both of us get up to walk around, grab a drink or bite to eat, will our towels be okay?  We are responsible for them, so I'm a bit concerned if we'll have to roam around individually, while one person stays behind.  I know they have lockers for our personal items, and we would never leave anything valuable behind.  

6.  Are there any problems with holding our chairs and umbrella if we do walk around together?  

Thanks so much!

Edited by red-dragon

I think you will find that RCCL and budget don't go together much. There will be very little except BBQ lunch that will not cost extra including water park and some of the food shacks. There is a reason that many of their cruises now stop for Perfect Day on their island, they make more revenue.

Have a good cruise

• Like 1

I would also like to know the answers to all of what red-dragon asked.  We plan to get to the pool early to get one lounger in the shade and one in the sun.  I think I read that food is included somewhere and if you have the drink or soda card you can use it there. I would be interested in knowing where the market is and how big the island is for walking around. Curious to know if we can leave things on the loungers when we go to lunch.

• Like 1

Last we walked the entire island, it's not quite a mile long, IIRC.  But having not been there since the remodel- I'm not sure if the middle road is still there.  Or the nice nature trail that ran along side of it.  

90% of the stuff at the straw market used to be souvenir stuff.  Nothing wrong with it, but nothing we tend to buy.

Bob already mentioned the same free drinks.  But we also take a bottle or two with us.  

In the past, it was very easy (and free) to find a chair.  Instead of umbrellas, we look for the ones under trees.  Keeps the seat free, for sure.

In past trips, we go kayaking for some time, and then exploring, and swimming-  never had a problem with our stuff, or seats, or towels.  We don't take much with us, though, too- you don't need much on the island- some cash if you want straw market stuff, a seapass card, some towels, and some sun screen.  No need for anything more- especially now that you can just walk back to the ship instead of taking a tender out and back.

As far as I can tell, you can still do the entire day on $0.  We plan on doing that in November when we go back.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

There are complimentary drinks at the BBQ lunch area, during the BBQ lunch serving period,  water, iced tea, lemonade.

That's good to know, thank you!

1 hour ago, jsf said:

I think you will find that RCCL and budget don't go together much. There will be very little except BBQ lunch that will not cost extra including water park and some of the food shacks. There is a reason that many of their cruises now stop for Perfect Day on their island, they make more revenue.

Have a good cruise

LOL, that's for sure!  We enjoyed Oasis immensely, but it took us many years to save up and go on another cruise!  

Thank you!

35 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

I would also like to know the answers to all of what red-dragon asked.  We plan to get to the pool early to get one lounger in the shade and one in the sun.  I think I read that food is included somewhere and if you have the drink or soda card you can use it there. I would be interested in knowing where the market is and how big the island is for walking around. Curious to know if we can leave things on the loungers when we go to lunch.

I'm so glad you're interested in my questions as well Lorey!  Keeping our $$ for San Juan, which we've never been to.  When is your cruise?

34 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Last we walked the entire island, it's not quite a mile long, IIRC.  But having not been there since the remodel- I'm not sure if the middle road is still there.  Or the nice nature trail that ran along side of it.  

90% of the stuff at the straw market used to be souvenir stuff.  Nothing wrong with it, but nothing we tend to buy.

Bob already mentioned the same free drinks.  But we also take a bottle or two with us.  

In the past, it was very easy (and free) to find a chair.  Instead of umbrellas, we look for the ones under trees.  Keeps the seat free, for sure.

In past trips, we go kayaking for some time, and then exploring, and swimming-  never had a problem with our stuff, or seats, or towels.  We don't take much with us, though, too- you don't need much on the island- some cash if you want straw market stuff, a seapass card, some towels, and some sun screen.  No need for anything more- especially now that you can just walk back to the ship instead of taking a tender out and back.

As far as I can tell, you can still do the entire day on $0.  We plan on doing that in November when we go back.  

It seems so large from the aerial views!

I can't be in the sun for very long, so hopefully we'll find some seats underneath a tree for some shade!

Thanks for the info.

November is not that far off.  Hope you have a fantastic time!

12 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Sure it does, if you are good at saying no. 

LOL!

Edited by red-dragon

1 hour ago, jsf said:

Have a good cruise

All of the food items at the two snack shack’s are complementary.  There is a bar, the name escapes me, where there are some  food items for purchase. 

The lunch buffet  options have been greatly expanded,  and the hours to have lunch or expanded.  They also have a few self-serve machines there. 

M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP -you will have no problem having a lovely day at Coco cay. and not spending any money.  

The huge pool is free. Lounge chairs are free- both at the pool and on the beach.   Shade umbrellas are free.  Food at the snack shack outside of the waterpark is free.  Food at the buffet is free    Flavored waters, iced tea,  lemonade and regular water are available for free.  Access to the ocean is free. (  at some point they are building a limited access beach club, so that Beach will not be free. ).  The trams to take you around the island are free  The tram to take you from the ship  to the beginning of the island is free.  The children’s waterpark is free. 

The island area is not that large and I would say you could walk around it in 15 -30 minutes. There are many beautiful areas to capture lovely photographs.    I haven’t heard of any issues of people having their towels stolen, it would be the same as at the pool on the ship.    Leave your towel on the chair, and enjoy your surroundings.  

I hope this helps. 

Enjoy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

OP -you will have no problem having a lovely day at Coco cay. and not spending any money.  

The huge pool is free. Lounge chairs are free- both at the pool and on the beach.   Shade umbrellas are free.  Food at the snack shack outside of the waterpark is free.  Food at the buffet is free    Flavored waters, iced tea,  lemonade and regular water are available for free.  

In the past, there were no free drinks available other than during the hours the buffet was open.  Has that changed?  Are flavored waters and lemonade available all day?

4 hours ago, red-dragon said:

We haven't cruised (or had a vacation) in 9 years, and our upcoming sailing will be a real treat for us, even though we'll be on a budget.

I read on RCI what is included, and we're not interested in water slides, cabana or swimming ... just a few questions.

We plan to walk around, take a lot of pictures (I love photography), eat at the complimentary shacks and visit the straw market.

1.  The private island looks huge!  How long would it take to walk around and see most of it?  I just need an idea so I can book some other things back on board.

2.  Is the straw market worth purchasing from, or is it all over priced?

3.  Are there complimentary drinks on the island (water, iced tea, tea or coffee)?  Do we bring our own bottles or do they have plastic glasses?

4.  Chairs and umbrellas are complimentary, but are they hard to find, unless we get there asap?  

5.  If the both of us get up to walk around, grab a drink or bite to eat, will our towels be okay?  We are responsible for them, so I'm a bit concerned if we'll have to roam around individually, while one person stays behind.  I know they have lockers for our personal items, and we would never leave anything valuable behind.  

6.  Are there any problems with holding our chairs and umbrella if we do walk around together?  

Thanks so much!

We left our 4 towels and chairs at the Oasis Lagoon area to all go eat lunch together. I took my tote bag with the sunscreen with me. The straw market is very close, many have the same souvenirs.

• Like 1

We were just there yesterday :) We got off the ship around 8:30am and claimed two beach chairs with an umbrella, and we used the chairs until we got back on the ship around 4:00pm. When we were swimming we left our towels out along with our clothes, sunscreen, shoes etc. I also had my phone and Seapass card buried under my clothes and towels that I left unattended - no one touched anything all day( I may have tempted fate with leaving my phone, but everything was fine). We were coming and going a lot in between swimming. I just laid my towel out and then tossed my clothes on top. At 8:30am there were tons and tons of chairs available; by 12pm or so all of the  chairs with umbrellas were taken but you could still find chairs in the sun. 

The buffet didn't open until 11:30 but all of the drinks were available when we got there at 8:30 (the juice and water machines were working, and there were plastic cups at the stations). Also, pop by the Snack Shack if you like mozzarella sticks and/or funnel cake - the Snack Shack is included in the free food on the island :)

We had some wings at Captain Jack's which cost $ but the buffet and Snack Shack are free and the Oasis Lagoon swimming pool is free as are the various beach areas where you can also swim. You can do the island easily for free, especially if you just want to explore and swim a bit. We saw some iguanas which was cool and a few chickens roaming about as well :) Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We visited Coco Cay May 2019,

Totally different from the old Coco Cay.   We had a fantastic time with the  family (group of  11)

We purchased the water park tickets and spent most of day there except 2 hours that

we took to  explore the island.  We used the tran to go from one side of the island

to the other because it got too hot out there. It runs very frequently  (great idea)  but it's very easy to 

walk from one side to the other.  There were plenty of chairs and some umbrellas.  We were there early

and we had no problem finding a good spot with umbrellas both at the water park and the

other side of the island by the beach.  The lagoon is pretty long and spacious, and plenty of chairs to sit

around, this side is free. Also there is a play area for the kids, it has a  large ship that looks like

a small water park for them, very cute, also free.

So there is plenty to see and do even  if you don't pay for the water park.

We were there on Mariner Of the  Seas, and the only ship at port.

Not sure how it would be with more than one ship at port, but our time there was

very relaxing and did not have to worry about finding a good spot.

The food from both the  snack shack from water park and the Skippers Grill were great

the Skippers grill has lots of choices from fresh fruits and salads to steak sandwiches,  hotdogs

hamburger, and some vegetarian options.  Also water,  tea, fruit punch, and flavored water.

Beautiful food spread.  Just loved it.  

The  Snack shack at the water park,    you can order fresh burgers from the grill,  crispy chicken sandwiches,

hotdogs,  mozzarella  sticks, fries,  salads, funnel cakes,   brownies, cookies.  (funnel cakes were so

freshe and good)

It was fantastic and all free included with in your cruise price, except the bar drinks and bottled water,

these are for a charge of course.  Unless you have the drink package.

Hope you have a fantastic time there!

• Thanks 2

We were there last Sunday and did not pay a penny for any activities.  We ate at the Snack Shack.  My husband and son enjoyed drinks.  We enjoyed the pool and snorkeled with googles we brought from home.  I also brought my own towels from home because I did not want to have to worry about them.  I did notice a family who was desperately looking for a towel.  My guess is someone else picked it up on accident.  She kept looking at me but I said I had no idea.  We left our stuff for over an hour at our chairs with the umbrella with no problems.  My girls looked at the souvenir stuff but did not buy anything.  They said the prices were the same as the straw market at Nassau.  We never even walked over by the water park.  Actually we loved Coco Cay and would happily go there twice.  This was our first cruise so I have no prior experience. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tuc19439 said:

We were just there yesterday :) We got off the ship around 8:30am and claimed two beach chairs with an umbrella, and we used the chairs until we got back on the ship around 4:00pm. When we were swimming we left our towels out along with our clothes, sunscreen, shoes etc. I also had my phone and Seapass card buried under my clothes and towels that I left unattended - no one touched anything all day( I may have tempted fate with leaving my phone, but everything was fine). We were coming and going a lot in between swimming. I just laid my towel out and then tossed my clothes on top. At 8:30am there were tons and tons of chairs available; by 12pm or so all of the  chairs with umbrellas were taken but you could still find chairs in the sun. 

The buffet didn't open until 11:30 but all of the drinks were available when we got there at 8:30 (the juice and water machines were working, and there were plastic cups at the stations). Also, pop by the Snack Shack if you like mozzarella sticks and/or funnel cake - the Snack Shack is included in the free food on the island :)

We had some wings at Captain Jack's which cost $ but the buffet and Snack Shack are free and the Oasis Lagoon swimming pool is free as are the various beach areas where you can also swim. You can do the island easily for free, especially if you just want to explore and swim a bit. We saw some iguanas which was cool and a few chickens roaming about as well :) Enjoy your cruise! 

Oh that's great news!  

Would you say by 9:30/10 am there would still be a lot of chairs and umbrellas to pick from?  

I hope you had a fantastic cruise!  So nice of you to respond, especially since you just got off yesterday!  

Thank you!

Much appreciated.

5 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

All of the food items at the two snack shack’s are complementary.  There is a bar, the name escapes me, where there are some  food items for purchase. 

The lunch buffet  options have been greatly expanded,  and the hours to have lunch or expanded.  They also have a few self-serve machines there. 

M

That's great to hear!  Thanks!

5 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

The huge pool is free. Lounge chairs are free- both at the pool and on the beach.   Shade umbrellas are free.  Food at the snack shack outside of the waterpark is free.  Food at the buffet is free    Flavored waters, iced tea,  lemonade and regular water are available for free.  Access to the ocean is free. (  at some point they are building a limited access beach club, so that Beach will not be free. ).  The trams to take you around the island are free  The tram to take you from the ship  to the beginning of the island is free.  The children’s waterpark is free. 

The island area is not that large and I would say you could walk around it in 15 -30 minutes. There are many beautiful areas to capture lovely photographs.    I haven’t heard of any issues of people having their towels stolen, it would be the same as at the pool on the ship.    Leave your towel on the chair, and enjoy your surroundings.  

I hope this helps. 

Enjoy

That's a relief, the cruise, flights, hotel and other ports are already adding up!  It's very pricey!!! 

I have some ankle issues so I didn't know they have free trams as well.  When I saw the map, it seemed to be a long walk from the ship to the entrance of the island.  

I know we're responsible for the beach towels from RCI, so I was a bit concerned.

LOL on your "free" descriptions.

Thanks so much!!!!

3 hours ago, exercisemama said:

We left our 4 towels and chairs at the Oasis Lagoon area to all go eat lunch together. I took my tote bag with the sunscreen with me. The straw market is very close, many have the same souvenirs.

That's fantastic, thank you!

1 hour ago, Angelsea57 said:

We visited Coco Cay May 2019,

Totally different from the old Coco Cay.   We had a fantastic time with the  family (group of  11)

We purchased the water park tickets and spent most of day there except 2 hours that

we took to  explore the island.  We used the tran to go from one side of the island

to the other because it got too hot out there. It runs very frequently  (great idea)  but it's very easy to 

walk from one side to the other.  There were plenty of chairs and some umbrellas.  We were there early

and we had no problem finding a good spot with umbrellas both at the water park and the

other side of the island by the beach.  The lagoon is pretty long and spacious, and plenty of chairs to sit

around, this side is free. Also there is a play area for the kids, it has a  large ship that looks like

a small water park for them, very cute, also free.

So there is plenty to see and do even  if you don't pay for the water park.

We were there on Mariner Of the  Seas, and the only ship at port.

Not sure how it would be with more than one ship at port, but our time there was

very relaxing and did not have to worry about finding a good spot.

The food from both the  snack shack from water park and the Skippers Grill were great

the Skippers grill has lots of choices from fresh fruits and salads to steak sandwiches,  hotdogs

hamburger, and some vegetarian options.  Also water,  tea, fruit punch, and flavored water.

Beautiful food spread.  Just loved it.  

The  Snack shack at the water park,    you can order fresh burgers from the grill,  crispy chicken sandwiches,

hotdogs,  mozzarella  sticks, fries,  salads, funnel cakes,   brownies, cookies.  (funnel cakes were so

freshe and good)

It was fantastic and all free included with in your cruise price, except the bar drinks and bottled water,

these are for a charge of course.  Unless you have the drink package.

Hope you have a fantastic time there!

I'm relieved to hear it's easy to walk around and there are trams that run frequently.

I didn't think about other ships being in port .... lol

The food from the Snack Shack sounds really yummy, especially the funnel cakes!!

Thanks so much!!!

I read that you are saving your $$$ for San Juan that you have never been to...the forts are very little and my family enjoyed it just as much as the $$$ your that we paid. If you have not researched it, I would check them out! And $1 frozen water bottles were being sold on the street just off of the port. So much cheaper than the cool water that I had bought on board. 😩

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BLAMBKY said:

I read that you are saving your $$$ for San Juan that you have never been to...the forts are very little and my family enjoyed it just as much as the $$$ your that we paid. If you have not researched it, I would check them out! And $1 frozen water bottles were being sold on the street just off of the port. So much cheaper than the cool water that I had bought on board. 😩

Oh thank you so much!  San Juan is next on my research.  I thought I might wait since there seems to be issues there right now.  I'm not sure what the forts are yet, but I will look into it.  Wow, $1 for frozen water bottles, that's great.  Much appreciated.

12 hours ago, red-dragon said:

Oh thank you so much!  San Juan is next on my research.  I thought I might wait since there seems to be issues there right now.  I'm not sure what the forts are yet, but I will look into it.  Wow, $1 for frozen water bottles, that's great.  Much appreciated.

There are two forts within walking distance of the docks. If you have a U.S. National Parks pass they will accept that and not charge you to tour the forts, otherwise the admission is $14/adult. San Cristobal is the closest one to the ship (maybe a 10 minute walk) El Morro is about a mile away, and overlooks the ship channel to the port (you will pass it on your way into San Juan.

• Thanks 1

Having been to Coco Cay 3 times, I can confidently say there should be plenty of things to do that cost absolutely nothing.  Including the loungers around the Oasis pool and swim up bar.  We plan on getting there when the ship docks and staking our claim.  We'll be with others so they can help watch our stuff.  Then we plan on snorkeling, snorkeling is great at Coco Cay if you know where to look.  Other than that, free food and drinks...no problem.  We'll purchase a couple alcoholic beverage for the laid back chill at the pool.  That's enough for us.  We plan on spending very little and I am completely sure others would be able to spend absolutely nothing at all!

• Thanks 1