Charge Account Glitch. Be Forewarned.

Figure this one out.  Turns out there is a glitch in the customer account system.  I did my online check in back in June.  I set up my charge account and gave my credit card info.  In July, Amex replaced the card because it was compromised.  When I checked in for Freedom last Sunday, I gave them my new card (the only one I had), and they ran it (I saw the authorization on my Amex app on my phone).

Mid cruise, I had to go to guest services because they couldn’t authorize charges.  I again gave them my NEW card (the only one I had) and the charges went through (again, I saw this on my Amex app).

Flash forward to departure, and I once again had to go to guest services (45 minuets in line GRRR!) because they couldn’t authorize the charges.  I spoke to the same gentleman who remembered me from mid cruise.  When I again gave him my card he insisted it was a different one.  He even showed me on his screen that the previous charges were supposedly on a card with a different last four numbers.

The last four he was seeing were from the PREVIOUS card that was replaced a month ago.  So, even thought I had TWICE presented and they had processed the new card, the system kept reverting to the old one and claiming previous charges were on that card.  I showed him in my app that the mid cruise charge that his system said were on one card were actually on the new card.

Lesson?  Don’t bother to register a card in advance if there is ANY chance it might need to change as the system will accept a new card for a discreet charge, but it will only attempt ongoing charges on the initially entered card.  I wasted more time than I cared to on trips to guest services because of this!

38 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I agree, just the “wonky” nature of the web site alone precludes me from imputing a CC during online check in. Always set up as cash account, and hand over a CC at the port. 

Unfortunately,  you really dont get the opportunity to do it at the port in many ports. They scan you in at security and you go straight to ship. No more check in desk. 😁

I guess you could go stand in line at the port, but that defeats the purpose.  So you would still have a trip to Guest Services.

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Unfortunately,  you really dont get the opportunity to do it at the port in many ports. They scan you in at security and you go straight to ship. No more check in desk. 😁

I guess you could go stand in line at the port, but that defeats the purpose.  So you would still have a trip to Guest Services.

Good point, I haven’t run into that yet (going out of the new terminal in Miami in February) I guess I will make a stop at GS on day 2 or 3 when they are having a slow moment 

13 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Good point, I haven’t run into that yet (going out of the new terminal in Miami in February) I guess I will make a stop at GS on day 2 or 3 when they are having a slow moment 

Terminal 1 in Port Canaveral is now doing it. 

They're also doing facial recognition for departure. Freaking fast

24 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

GS is open 24 hours, so go at 4 or 5 am, and there will not be any lines

• Haha 1

Just now, SRV FAN said:

You can simply change the CC online in your account BEFORE you leave.... I have had to do that a few times when my cards were compromised.

Agreed.  I just thought it was very interesting to identify this glitch.  Varun (the guest services representative) was also very surprised to see it.  He brought out their supervisor and showed him.  Definitely something to be aware of.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What if you haven't checked in online or with the app? I am sure there are some that don't do it early & just show up....

37 minutes ago, SRV FAN said:

What if you haven't checked in online or with the app? I am sure there are some that don't do it early & just show up....

I would never not check in early. Never.

But I'm sure plenty do, they are the ones waiting in line at the desk. 🤣🤣

Do whatever you can beforehand.  I've needed to go to Guest Services at the beginning of my last cruise (the sea pass in my room had "Gold" on it; i am Pinnacle.)  I waited in line for 30 minutes and was really missing that priority line we used to have.  Not the nicest way to start my cruise.

Edited by MaritimeR&R

7 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

Do whatever you can beforehand. 

I agree. But I'm not VERY hesitant to put the credit card down in advance, knowing the problem it can cause should I have to change my card.  And being someone who manages to have his card compromised 3-4 times a year, it's constantly being replaced.

After repeated issues occurred after adding a CC in the online check in we went to cash accounts on our last few cruises. No issues. No worries. No hassles. RCI cannot handle technology. They should just go back to the old manual CC swipe machines with the carbon copies 😏😂

5 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

After repeated issues occurred after adding a CC in the online check in we went to cash accounts on our last few cruises. No issues. No worries. No hassles. RCI cannot handle technology. They should just go back to the old manual CC swipe machines with the carbon copies 😏😂

Agree, we've gone to cash too, but pay with CC on the last day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Agree, we've gone to cash too, but pay with CC on the last day.

Bob if this is the case then I would go to Guest Services early in the AM on the last day or 2 days before the end to avoid the lines. Why doesn't Royal offer kiosks, on all ships to pay or update SeaPass acvont payment methods like on Princess? 

4 minutes ago, travelplus said:

....  Why doesn't Royal offer kiosks, on all ships to pay or update SeaPass acvont payment methods like on Princess? 

Try the CEO: mbayley@rccl.com.

• Like 1

A similar story.  While we were in the air enroute to a class reunion. Visa cancelled a whole series of CCards including ours.  Arrive in new City, unable to rent a car, secure a hotel stay.  Unable to fly out to go back home.  Lots of lessons learned.

17 hours ago, biomedbob said:

A similar story.  While we were in the air enroute to a class reunion. Visa cancelled a whole series of CCards including ours.  Arrive in new City, unable to rent a car, secure a hotel stay.  Unable to fly out to go back home.  Lots of lessons learned.

Well, to be honest, that sounds kinda like terrible service on the part of your card issuer.  There is no excuse for them leaving you high and dry while traveling.  Amex has never done that to me, and I've had my card replaced dozens of times.  Even while traveling.