Do you bring any creature comforts?

calicakes

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I bring good old fashioned, politically incorrect and environmentally frowned upon plastic straws. And I very unapologetically sip my frozen drinks through them one by one. 

Sad. Sorry, but this makes me sad.  What's wrong with a reusable stainless steel straw? 

I bring paper straws and they are fine for a frozen drink. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, calicakes said:

Sad. Sorry, but this makes me sad.  What's wrong with a reusable stainless steel straw? 

I bring paper straws and they are fine for a frozen drink. 

Nothing is wrong with stainless steel straws. Paper straws don’t work well. 

Dont be sad...I take all my straws home with me and reuse them over and over throughout the summer. May not be perfect but that’s  my creature comfort. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I bring good old fashioned, politically incorrect and environmentally frowned upon plastic straws. And I very unapologetically sip my frozen drinks through them one by one. 

I also bring my own plastic straws and have enough to share with my friends.  Paper straws are terrible.  Makes me happy.  As long as Celebrity disposes of the waste appropriately, we won't be hurting any sea turtles.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I also bring my own plastic straws and have enough to share with my friends.  Paper straws are terrible.  Makes me happy.  As long as Celebrity disposes of the waste appropriately, we won't be hurting any sea turtles.

We too brought our own straws. I got a big pack of oversize ones (like milkshake size) so they were good for frozen drinks and tall cocktails both. The paper straws tasted terrible, bleah. I probably used less than 20 or so the whole trip, and brought the rest back to Guatemala for our next cruise. When the drink was suitable, we did without straws entirely rather than use the paper ones or one of our own plastic ones.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 7:57 PM, calicakes said:

I do NOT pack lightly.  I must have my creature comforts, my pillow and my blanket.  I know, I know.  I just need it. 

However, I probably don't need my bottle of Torani sugar free caramel/vanilla or mocha syrup for my iced coffee.  I probably don't need a bag of pretzels for sea days at the pool.  I probably don't need real maple syrup for my pancakes, but I do bring those with me.    

What do you bring? 

I bring my David's tea mug and tea as I dont like the ship tea. I also bring fragranced body lotion and shower gel. In addition I make my own spiced nuts and roasted chick peas to enjoy on my balcony while having a glass of wine. Oh, I also bring a travel aerator for my wine. 😁

On 8/19/2019 at 5:02 PM, calicakes said:

I forgot to mention the most important item: ........ 2 rolls of really soft Toilet Paper.  I do not like the toilet paper that feels like cardboard. 

I keep planning on doing the same.   Their toilet paper is terrible.  

19 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

We too brought our own straws. I got a big pack of oversize ones (like milkshake size) so they were good for frozen drinks and tall cocktails both. The paper straws tasted terrible, bleah. I probably used less than 20 or so the whole trip, and brought the rest back to Guatemala for our next cruise. When the drink was suitable, we did without straws entirely rather than use the paper ones or one of our own plastic ones.

Funny you mention those paper straws.   I also don't like the feel of them.   On my return recently the Starbucks at FLL had switched to paper straws.    I order a Frappuccino and it took me 4 straw before I could drink all of it.    They kept leaking air making it impossible to drink.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I keep planning on doing the same.   Their toilet paper is terrible.  

Since you cruise a lot, have you heard any of the crew say they have to purchase their own TP?

56 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Since you cruise a lot, have you heard any of the crew say they have to purchase their own TP?

Nope - never heard them discuss TP at all.   LOL

I use to use the facial tissue instead and they downgraded it to the same stuff as the rolls.  Ohhh well I guess we are spoiled.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:32 AM, sailingskyward said:

I am surprised by the posts suggesting guests should not bring their own brands of toilet paper, supposedly because you can only flush "marine grade" toilet paper. 

Well, I've debunked that theory with one crucial data point - Did you know that Celebrity Cruises does not provide toilet paper for crew cabins? All crewmembers are advised to buy toilet paper while ashore, as the Celebrity-purchased toilet paper is strictly for guest usage. When I asked the employee in Oceanview Cafe about this policy, they said there are no restrictions on what brands to buy. First of all, I find this type of policy really disappointing on Celebrity's part. Crewmembers make paltry wages and now they're also asked to bring their own toilet paper onto the ship. Second, I guess in addition to a cash tip for my room steward on Celebrity, I will also bring a 4-pack of Charmin Ultra so they don't have to buy it for their own crew cabin!

On 12/5/2019 at 1:12 AM, sailingskyward said:

From an employee in the Oceanview Cafe onboard a Celebrity ship last week. I thought they were pulling my leg, so I asked another employee the following day and they confirmed that Celebrity does not provide toilet paper for crew cabins, and that they had to go ashore to buy it. 

Well, I'm not going to read back through two hundred posts, but as far as toilet paper, I continually debunk this myth here on CC.  "Marine grade" toilet paper is designed for yacht toilet systems, which requires it to break down quickly so as not to block valves and macerators.  Cruise ship vacuum toilet systems are completely different, and in 44 years of working on marine toilets, I've never had a vacuum system problem caused by "improper" toilet paper.

If, and I stress "if" this is accurate, then the cruise line is in violation of the Maritime Labor Convention (MLC 2006), and can be detained in port and face hefty fines by any port state where the crew member reports this abuse to the authorities.

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, I'm not going to read back through two hundred posts, but as far as toilet paper, I continually debunk this myth here on CC.  "Marine grade" toilet paper is designed for yacht toilet systems, which requires it to break down quickly so as not to block valves and macerators.  Cruise ship vacuum toilet systems are completely different, and in 44 years of working on marine toilets, I've never had a vacuum system problem caused by "improper" toilet paper.

If, and I stress "if" this is accurate, then the cruise line is in violation of the Maritime Labor Convention (MLC 2006), and can be detained in port and face hefty fines by any port state where the crew member reports this abuse to the authorities.

So if I bring my own super-soft Charmin, I won't be hurting anything?