Royal Caribbean travel protection

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Can’t you buy a medical only policy?  The medical only policies we sell here in Canada have costs similar or lower to what you mentioned (age based) but provide $5 million in medical and evac.

Look up Geo Blue. Great medical/evac coverage only. No pre-existing. No price based on cost or other price issues. $42e. Must purchase within 6 months of sail date...trip insurance store. 

I purchased insurance through RC this time.  It was way less expensive and I like the "cancel for any reason" policy.  They dont base the rate on age either which is better for my mom. I am not worried about the low medical coverage as I was able to get 1 million dollars coverage with 0.00 deductible through GeoBlue for 32.00.   

We are sailing in 11 days.  The peak of hurricane season.  Im leaving for FL next Friday.  My moms flight is booked through Air2Sea which is due to arrive at MCO on Saturday before the Sunday cruise so if something were to happen and her flight gets cancelled, she should get all her money back.  I think? 

Edited by ryano

16 hours ago, karena1 said:

The other reason I don't do Royal's insurance - IF there is a threat of a hurricane, and flights get canceled, but the cruise still goes, you are SOL. 

Is this the case if flight is booked through Air2Sea?    Maybe I should have read the fine print! 🙄

46 minutes ago, ryano said:

Is this the case if flight is booked through Air2Sea?    Maybe I should have read the fine print! 🙄

If flights you made with Air2Sea  are cancelled, Air2Sea would make other arrangements. They may fly you to an intermediate port to catch the ship.  If no arrangements can be made, you get a full refund.

1 minute ago, mafig said:

Royal's insurance doesn't cover pre-existing?  I thought they did if you purchase it right away.🤔

I believe Royal's pre-existing coverage has a look-back period.

1 hour ago, ryano said:

I have no idea since I never book my air with the cruise ship, but I would guess that yes, it would cover it if you could not make it to the ship due to weather

Travel insurance policies can be very confusing and have lots of fine print.  That's why we go through a broker who can explain things in plain english.  Many on cc recommend Insure My Trip and the Travel Insurance Store.  There's also a lot of good info on CC's travel insurance forum.

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe Royal's pre-existing coverage has a look-back period.

I'm not even sure I understand what look-back is.  🙄  

What if your doctor changes your prescription and makes the dosage lower?  

Is that considered a change? 

3 minutes ago, mafig said:

You will have to read the policy, but I believe the conditions are something like if you have been treated for a condition / illness during the look back period, then that condition/illness is not covered in the event you need to cancel.

On 8/20/2019 at 2:37 PM, klfrodo said:

Why $500 per person? Because there is no price difference from $1 to $500

What an interesting observation!  I had always put $0 trip cost just to get the primary medical and emergency evac... along with some trip interruption, lost luggage benefits ect.

2 years ago, I booked a Baltic Cruise, and booked flights on Air Berlin.  Company went bankrupt 1 month before my trip, but continued to fly for a while.  My family and I took the very last Air Berlin flight departing LAX.  Soon after I got on the cruise ship, all Air Berlin flight operations were suspended globally.  It was not fun trying to book 5 last minute one-way tix from Europe back to Los Angeles.  Even though I had put "0" trip cost, I still got reimbursed $1000 per person for the flight home. (Under the trip interruption/We'll get you home up to $1K pp section)  

4 hours ago, mafig said:

From the FAQ section of www.tripinsurancestore.com

What during the Lookback Period causes a medical condition to be considered a Pre-Existing Condition?

If the person with the condition has any symptoms, appointment or visit or consultation with a medical professional, test, diagnosis, medication adjustment or change, then this condition would be considered pre existing.

So, to answer your question of would it be a change? I interpret the answer to be Yes and it would be considered a Pre-Existing condition.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 5:13 PM, katiel53 said:

I don't want any insurance that is not primary and, if I am correct, the cruise line's insurance is secondary.  I also want coverage for pre-existing conditions.

I have cruised enough to know what my expenses should probably be, so I buy insurance through a third party within 14 days of my deposit.  I also don't believe the cruise line's insurance doesn't have enough coverage for medical evacuation or hospitals.

I do pay more, but, to me, it's worth it.  Cheap is not always best.

Exactly! Also, third party insurance is protecting you..cruise line insurance is protecting the cruise line.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:15 AM, Johnamac123 said:

Look up Geo Blue. Great medical/evac coverage only. No pre-existing. No price based on cost or other price issues. $42e. Must purchase within 6 months of sail date...trip insurance store. 

FYI, not available in all states.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:06 PM, motheroftwocats814 said:

Exactly! Also, third party insurance is protecting you..cruise line insurance is protecting the cruise line.

WRONG.

Cruise line insurance is actually the product of an actual insurance company.  Allianz or similar.  

And having used them, they are quite helpful and prompt with payment.  They even stepped in and negotiated the med evac to be within the provided coverage.

18 hours ago, SRF said:

WRONG.

Cruise line insurance is actually the product of an actual insurance company.  Allianz or similar.  

And having used them, they are quite helpful and prompt with payment.  They even stepped in and negotiated the med evac to be within the provided coverage.

Can you tell me what kind & where med evac you received? 

2 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Can you tell me what kind & where med evac you received? 

My mother was med evaced from Halifax to DC.

But Learjet.   I am not sure what company.  But the initial quote was over the coverage limit for the insurance, so the insurance company talked to the med evac company, and got them to accept the coverage as payment in full.

But, the cruise line coverage limits tend to be low.  But the price is good, especially for older cruisers.

Although, now I know about booking insurance with a $0 trip cost, to avoid the higher insurance premium

1 hour ago, dsvd79 said:

Allianz is the best way to go.

Why?

What makes them better with say Travel Insured?

I have had Allianz and made claims, and they were fine to deal with.  But why are they the BEST?