Penknife in checked luggage?

pr0t

12 minutes ago, pr0t said:

Whats the consensus on packing a penkife in my main luggage? I feel lost without my trusty SAK, but I've had it for about 40 years and I'd hate to lose it...

I would certainly not advise it as I would think there would be a high probability of it not being there when your case arrives. You may even find yourself subject to some difficult questions from security. In this day and age carrying a knife, even a penknife, is not socially acceptable.

I had a pen knife in my suitcase, I got ordered off the ship to open it up so they could measure it. They told me to next time take it through with your carry on. They were quite nice about it.

My partner and her friends take a variety of sharp implements on fly cruises including knives which they need for various crafting activities. Most of them take their spares just in case they are confiscated. Check with the airline and airports you are using as they have different rules and regs.

Edited by yorkshirephil

4 minutes ago, pr0t said:

Thanks for all the help... it seems to be a moving target. We're sailing from Southampton, I guess it's best to call P&O and get it from source...

Guess i should have looked here first:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/not_allowed

Up to 4" is OK, mine is a shade under 2.75" so perfectly acceptable. I'm delighted, you never know when you're going to bump into a horse that needs a stone removing from its hoof! 🙂

• Like 2

Would your SAK knife come under the category of a pen knife ?

If so pen knives are not allowed.

Items not allowed.

• Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm, any blade length that is prohibited by local laws/regulation and all concealed bladed weapons such as belt buckle knives, cane and umbrella knives/swords, pen knives, credit card knives, etc
Edited by P-L-B

1 hour ago, pr0t said:

Thanks for all the help... it seems to be a moving target. We're sailing from Southampton, I guess it's best to call P&O and get it from source...

I thought you were travelling by aircraft due to your title relating to "checked" luggage. As pointed out  in a previous post your penknife will not be allowed. I noted it states scissors above 4" are not allowed, however people definitely use scissors above 4" in the craft lessons, including the tutors. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gazwag said:

I'm not sure I understand why you would need to take a pen knife on holiday anyway, do you sit on your balcony whittling away to make a bow and arrow to shoot fish or something

There's always one, isn't there? Its my bottle opener, tin opener, tooth pick, nail scissors, glasses screwdriver, pencil sharpener etc, etc. THATS why I rather like having it to hand! 😡

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, gazwag said:

I'm not sure I understand why you would need to take a pen knife on holiday anyway, do you sit on your balcony whittling away to make a bow and arrow to shoot fish or something

My next holiday is 2 weeks of sailing.  So fancy pen knife with a few gadgets a attached, and sailing pen knife, which has a marlinspike on it will both be going in the hold baggage. 

Tools of the trade for that sort of holiday.

I think Rules are strictly enforced.  A few years ago, my sister bought a small cheese board and cheese knife in one of the ports in the Mediterranean.  Cheese knife was just over 2” with the usual rounded end.   It was confiscated as we came back on board.   What did make us laugh was the size of the cheese knife compared to the thousands of knives which are readily accessible on board.   At that time they also had steak knives AND fish knives.   I I asked for a fish knife on my last cruise and the waiter looked at me as though I was mad.   He even called the Maitre ‘d.  

I’ve gone off the subject,  - a 2” round end cheese knife?

20 minutes ago, pr0t said:

There's always one, isn't there? Its my bottle opener, tin opener, tooth pick, nail scissors, glasses screwdriver, pencil sharpener etc, etc. THATS why I rather like having it to hand! 😡

Blimey, you do know there is a weight restriction on your suitcase😁

A few years back we were called over the tannoy in the departure lounge at Southampton and were then taken down to the baggage handling area because there was a penknife in one of our cases.  It was actually our son's SAK which we'd thrown in last minute as we'd forgotten a bottle opener.  They measured the blade and it was OK but they said if it hadn't of been it would have been confiscated and destroyed.

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

My next holiday is 2 weeks of sailing.  So fancy pen knife with a few gadgets a attached, and sailing pen knife, which has a marlinspike on it will both be going in the hold baggage. 

Tools of the trade for that sort of holiday.

Ok, I should have said Cruise ship rather than just holiday

I have a Swiss army style knife with a main blade approx 2.5" long. I bought it onboard the Oriana on my first voyage on her (in 1997) and it has wooden sides etched with a picture of the ship instead of the standard red plastic. I subsequently asked whether I could take it back onboard and was told no!

Edited by Denarius
  • Haha 1

I have carried a swiss army knife - about 4" long on every cruise I have been on. I keep it in my washbag which is in our carry on case with essentials such as medicines, spare underwear, toiletries etc.  just in case our luggage gets lost or delayed.

We have never had it queried at security (although my wife was quizzed about some cheese - why bring cheese? )- Apparently it looks like semtex on the scanner!

5 hours ago, gazwag said:

What a great idea.

I am off to get whittling...😀

34 minutes ago, smj777 said:

I have carried a swiss army knife - about 4" long on every cruise I have been on. I keep it in my washbag which is in our carry on case with essentials such as medicines, spare underwear, toiletries etc.  just in case our luggage gets lost or delayed.

We have never had it queried at security (although my wife was quizzed about some cheese - why bring cheese? )- Apparently it looks like semtex on the scanner!

So, why did she take cheese??!!

• Like 1

You could use it the archery competitions that seem to appear now. It would probably be more fun than the toy bows and arrows P & O provide. Meant to have quoted the earlier post re bows and arrows there but didn't work....

Edited by zoe sproodle

5 hours ago, Bennybluehat said:

So, why did she take cheese??!!

She said  'Because it was in the 'fridge and would have gone off by the time we got home!'

Go figure.

The security man saw the funny side thank goodness.

He must have a dizzy wife like mine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1