Back to back?

Live4cruises

We've never done a back-to-back, but are thinking about it now.  Enough of being jealous of those relaxed cruisers who don't have to pack and go!

I've read quite a bit about the logistics of turnaround day, but I haven't seen this question.  Does Holland offer any perks or discounts for booking B2B?

Thanks for your thoughts,

I have compared the prices of 14 day vs 2, 7 day cruises (same ones) and found that the 14 day is normally a bit less expensive.  Also, I would get $250 in OBC (onboard credits) from my stockholder deal vs 2, $100 ones, so a bit better.

Plus I assume turn around day would be easier on the 14 day.

1 minute ago, Roz said:

Depends on where the turnaround occurs.  I just did one in Vancouver that was rather unpleasant.

Roz

And I live in the PacNW so I've done a number of them in Vancouver, where the in-transit procedure is ALWAYS unpleasant.

Pricing can be better booked as one cruise.  It varies.  I've seen it both ways.  You just have to do the homework.

Perks can be non-existent or some nice chocolate-covered strawberries, some chocolates, a Pinnacle lunch,a bottle of wine. We've had it all and once zip. Depends on the ship.

• Like 1

We have done quite a few Collectors Cruises -- got a bit of a discount.

Extra perks -- never got a free lunch, never bot a free dinner -- but have read here where others did get a free dinner.  Never got any extra chocolate or chocolate covered strawberries.  In other words -- nothing from HAL but a bit of a discount.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We have done quite a few Collectors Cruises -- got a bit of a discount.

Extra perks -- never got a free lunch, never bot a free dinner -- but have read here where others did get a free dinner.  Never got any extra chocolate or chocolate covered strawberries.  In other words -- nothing from HAL but a bit of a discount.

Hi KK!!!

Same here!! Extra perks for us none🙄

Did get a small discount though!

Have a great day!

Denise😊

• Like 1

There's a difference between a B2B and a Collector's cruise.

A B2B is 2 cruises that HAL has not officially combined into a single cruise and they sell them individually.  You can usually get a discount when you buy both cruises at the same time.  You usually get 2 separate booking numbers, and occasionally you have to change cabins if your first cabin is not available on the 2nd cruise.    

A Collector's cruise is one, longer cruise that has a midpoint,  and people can buy either segment or the whole cruise.  But you have one booking number for the whole cruise, one cabin account,  and you are guaranteed the same cabin for the full cruise.   In Europe, on a Collectors Cruise, you get an "In Transit" pass and you can leave the ship or stay on at the midpoint, your choice.  When you return to the ship, you can bypass the lines of new passengers waiting to board.   If your Collector's cruise or B2B midpoint is a US port, everyone must leave the ship at a specific time after the disembarking guests have left, and wait for US immigration to declare the ship is at "Zero Count".  Meaning there are zero passengers onboard.  Then, you are permitted to reboard.   We have never had a B2B or Collector's cruise where the midpoint was a Canadian port, so I can't offer anything there.

Yes, Collectors are two cruises that HAL sometimes considers as one cruise, so they give a price break.  However, sometimes, they don't roll two different itineraries together which are two sequential weeks as on the Nieuw Statendam Christmas/New Year's Eve cruises this year.  When I made that reservation last year while onboard that ship, the agent commented that it should be a Collectors, but wasn't.  Since my son and I wanted both weeks, we have to pay for two separate cruises.  We did reserve the same stateroom to avoid the hassle of having to pack up and move, so that's good.

We'll receive the "In Transit" card where we'll exit the ship, wait, and go back on at about 10:30 a.m. when the "in transit" passengers are called.  

We've only taken one other B2B, in Seattle, and the process was seamless in 2014.  We stood on the Promenade Deck of the Amsterdam and watched everyone else boarding.  At that time, there were only 2 couples who did the B2B.  I imagine there will be many more this time, since it's two holiday sailings B2B.

As for the stockholder credit.  No.  You will not get $250 twice.  You may get $250.  Or they may give you $200 ($100 for each week), which is how they've done ours.  Enjoy the thrill of staying onboard for another week while many passengers on your first sailing pack up and leave.  Let us know what you decide.  

We’ve done both B2B and Collectors cruises, but the change - over day went the same - get the In-Transit cards, get off the ship and reboard after zero count.  Same procedure in San Diego as well as in Fort Lauderdale.

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Depends on where the turnaround occurs.  I just did one in Vancouver that was rather unpleasant.

Roz

We have the 14-Day "Tropical / Western Caribbean" cruise booked for February 2020. It is R/T FLL but ALSO returns to FLL at the 7 day mark. We have one booking number and the same cabin the entire 14 days. Does anyone know if we will be required to leave the ship for a time at the half way point? Will we need to do the lifeboat drill again? We have never before been on a cruise that returned to the starting point half way through.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, kevingastreich said:

Does anyone know if we will be required to leave the ship for a time at the half way point? Will we need to do the lifeboat drill again?

Both are likely. It is possible that the in transit passengers will be processed in a lounge on board---that has happened in the past---but it is just as possible that you will have to zero down on shore. 
Whether or not you have to repeat the muster is a guess at best. Of all the back to back and collectors cruises I have done (many), there was only one ship on which I didn't have to appear at muster after initial boarding. On all the rest, including one this year, I have had to muster with the others. 

8 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

We have the 14-Day "Tropical / Western Caribbean" cruise booked for February 2020. It is R/T FLL but ALSO returns to FLL at the 7 day mark. We have one booking number and the same cabin the entire 14 days. Does anyone know if we will be required to leave the ship for a time at the half way point? Will we need to do the lifeboat drill again? We have never before been on a cruise that returned to the starting point half way through.  Thanks.

Whether booked as two cruises or one, the ship must have zero count passengers onm turnaround day in FLL. You can either disembark on your own and do some sightseeing or stay on the ship and meet with the others at the designated time and place.

Legally, you do not have to repeat the lifeboat drill. However, HAL might require you to do so anyway.

Thank you all for the great input!  I just didn’t want to be surprised when I made the booking call.  Which we did.  We are just pathetic in our excitement to book cruises.  😁  We’re doing a B2B on K’dam in 2021.  Something to live for.  The turnaround port is San Diego.  There is quite a bit of port duplication, but between the 2 cruises, we get 3 days in San Francisco.  We’ve both been to California, but never SF, so we are quite happy about that.  The trip begins in San Diego, ends in Vancouver, and we were promised that we do not run afoul of the dreaded Jones Act.

Thanks again, CC friends!

42 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

Thank you all for the great input!  I just didn’t want to be surprised when I made the booking call.  Which we did.  We are just pathetic in our excitement to book cruises.  😁  

Not pathetic at all.  You've simply incurred a wonderful addiction which has no cure except to cruise, cruise, cruise.