What is the different between surf internet and unlimited internet?

Gwendy914

I usually unplug on cruises, but it turns out I'm going to need to keep track of some business on my vacation in a couple weeks. I'm confused about the differences in the internet packages. 

1. What is the difference between "surf" and "Unlimited"?

2. If I get 1 device, is that one device at a time or one device only? Say I use my laptop but then the next day, my husband uses his phone? Does that work or do we have to each have signed up for something?

You can browse internet, check emails, do everything except for streaming videos etc with Surf.

I heard that wifi calling works with Surf as well as WhatsApp. I will check in a week. 🙂

• Like 1

Thank you so much! This makes it much easier to choose. I don't need streaming and I don't want both of us on our screens at the same time when we should be watching for whales. 1 device surf package is what I need.

I appreciate the help. 

Celebrity internet charges are exorbitant, real profiteering.  Being Elite we get 180 mins between my wife and I, which is more than sufficient providing the signing-out works which can be troublesome and eat away your time unknowingly.

We recently cruised MSC, their internet is exceptional compared to Celebrity, it is significantly faster and is 3Gb for about $80 not time linked, so much better for emails, WhatsApp and internet searches. We used under 2Gb on our 14 day cruise.

Come on Celebrity be fair to your customers and not be blind focussed on profit.

Edited by mickey89
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

You can browse internet, check emails, do everything except for streaming videos etc with Surf.

I heard that wifi calling works with Surf as well as WhatsApp. I will check in a week. 🙂

With surf internet wifi calls in whats-app or messenger doesn't works

6 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

I was on the Silhouette in March WiFi calls doesn’t works

Reading Summit group on FB and people are saying it is working. At least WiFi calling was working fine.

Maybe because she was Revolutionized?

In the last six months we have been on the Summit, Equinox and Edge. We had surf wifi because we were elite plus. In all three cases Internet was fine. I was able to call on FaceTime, watch tv (ESPN) while near the US, play games, text and do email. Internet some is affected by storms and is usually shutdown during coming into some ports. On the whole is ok, just not like home. I have never gotten the high speed. I have not downloaded movies. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

We're on the Eclipse in November and the Apex next year.  We're trying the Surf package for the first time.  We, too, are wondering about communicating on WhatsApp, etc.  We don't care about streaming video, but it would be great to be able to use our Sirius radio on our phones.  Anyone on ships right now and using the Surf package?  Thanks, in advance.

On 8/26/2019 at 2:27 PM, mickey89 said:

Celebrity internet charges are exorbitant, real profiteering.  Being Elite we get 180 mins between my wife and I, which is more than sufficient providing the signing-out works which can be troublesome and eat away your time unknowingly.

We recently cruised MSC, their internet is exceptional compared to Celebrity, it is significantly faster and is 3Gb for about $80 not time linked, so much better for emails, WhatsApp and internet searches. We used under 2Gb on our 14 day cruise.

Come on Celebrity be fair to your customers and not be blind focussed on profit.

So on an upcoming cruise I am thinking that just one of us will get the unlimited surf and stream (which will be my husband).  What I am wondering is if I can use both my 90 minutes and then his on my devise?

14 minutes ago, bunzini said:

So on an upcoming cruise I am thinking that just one of us will get the unlimited surf and stream (which will be my husband).  What I am wondering is if I can use both my 90 minutes and then his on my devise?

No.  Once he gets the package, his 90 minutes goes away.  You can only use yours.  🍷

10 hours ago, Wine-O said:

No.  Once he gets the package, his 90 minutes goes away.  You can only use yours.  🍷

10 hours ago, Wine-O said:

Ok.  Thanks!  That is good to know!

Confirming.  I am currently on Summit and bought surf package ($90 with 30% Elite discount).

My phone was in Airplane mode as it should be and our son called us and I was also able to call my parents not on ship.

Quality of both calls was great.

Edited by Tatka
  • Thanks 1