Will Carnival ever get rid of "All adults must buy Cheers" rule?

bobbyandali

My SO and I looked into getting Cheers but considering it'd cost almost as much as paying for the cruise itself it just wasn't worth it. We'll probably get a single drink each as a treat and that's it. I'd wish they'd have middle ground but this is super profitable for them so don't think they will.

Edited by Snicket
spelling

I can remember a time when there were no Cheers packages available.  The whining then was why doesn't Carnival offer this, because such and such cruise line does!  If Cheers with it's current rules is for you...purchase it.  If it's not...then don't.  CCL is following rules mirroring every other line we have sailed in recent years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

I think it's pretty clear Carnival knows their clientele.  Just look at CC for the proof.  Based on the inordinate number of posts on the Carnival boards (as compared to the boards of other cruise lines) bragging about cheating, smuggling, stealing, and many other forms of rule-breaking; as well as all those posts from the less experienced, but equally entitled and dishonest cheaters asking for advice and tips on how to do the same, Carnival would be foolish to trust these people.  The rule is not going to be dropped.  Nor should it be.

Well said

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Neither my husband and I drink alcoholic beverages. My adult  son, who stays in the cabin with us, only drinks on christmas Eve and on cruises[ it relaxes him, and because he is relaxed he is less likely to have seizures, and yes I know that for many people with seizures, alcohol makes it worse, but not my son. I know I am being defensive, but, I receive a lot of judgement on this forum]. He cannot get the Cheers package, so we have ordered a bottle of Crown Royal and Sky Vodka to be delivered to our room. 

We will bring 2 12 packs of soda, [coke and club soda] some cans of tomato and oj, and 10 different flavors of crystal lite. My son plans to purchase one drink a day, and the rest of the time [14 days Journey cruise] what we had delivered. 

With our AARP Carnival cards we spent maybe $150 for the alcohol that will be delivered to the cabin, and it'll be maybe $30 for the "mixers" [we can buy more soda at various ports]

Anyway, that is how we are able to save quite a bit of money while still following the rules.

• Like 1

Alcoholic drinks are big money in the cruise world.  So big, it is common for passengers to covertly bring alcohol to consume on board to avoid the bill.  To think there wouldn't be a noticeable percentage who would buy a single package to share is naive at best.  I know this, Carnival knows this.  If you make exceptions you would be shocked at the people who could not drink for health or religious reasons.  I know this, Carnival knows this and they don't want to be put in the position of policing it.  Easiest thing to do is make a hard line rule and enforce it.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2019 at 8:43 AM, Elaine5715 said:

Based on the posts on social media, I'd say they are right to follow their gut.

Yep, people already cheat and I bet their cheers sales would drop by at least 30% if they did make it where only one needed to buy it.

To those that compare to RC and say Carnival should be like them, maybe Carnival wants to be like Norwegian and make not only all adults buy their version of Cheers, if one does, but all minors also have to purchase bubbles package with Cheers.

On 8/27/2019 at 7:12 PM, ray98 said:

Alcoholic drinks are big money in the cruise world.  So big, it is common for passengers to covertly bring alcohol to consume on board to avoid the bill.  To think there wouldn't be a noticeable percentage who would buy a single package to share is naive at best.  I know this, Carnival knows this.  If you make exceptions you would be.   shocked at the people who could not drink for health or religious reasons.  I know this, Carnival knows this and they don't want to be put in the position of policing it.  Easiest thing to do is make a hard line rule and enforce it.

Just look at WDW and their disability pass...people are constantly trying to figure what they can claim to get what they believe to be an advantage like sore feet, food allergies, sun sensitivities (in Florida), heat issues (again in Florida in summer),  

On 8/26/2019 at 3:38 PM, bobbyandali said:

We recently sailed on Royal Caribbean and got their version of the unlimited alcohol package. What we found was, it made sense for me, but it didn't make sense for my wife. She just didn't drink enough alcohol to justify the cost. 

I'm guessing the reason for the rule is to prevent sharing, but I would think there are other ways to accomplish that. 

Has anyone heard of any discussions regarding removing this rule, or is it here to stay? 

Did Cheers two cruises and found myself drinking more than normal and ordering more high end drinks just to justify the cost. 

Between going to gym/spa, eating two or three meals, and large amount of time off the ship it left little time for drinking 30 drinks per day. We didn't do Cheers on last cruise and saved 300 bucks! Our cruise next year has almost four sea days so we may reevaluate....I also believe they charge gratuities on 30 drinks per day rather you drink them or not. 

6 hours ago, keith75 said:

Did Cheers two cruises and found myself drinking more than normal and ordering more high end drinks just to justify the cost. 

Between going to gym/spa, eating two or three meals, and large amount of time off the ship it left little time for drinking 30 drinks per day. We didn't do Cheers on last cruise and saved 300 bucks! Our cruise next year has almost four sea days so we may reevaluate....I also believe they charge gratuities on 30 drinks per day rather you drink them or not. 

They charge gratuities on the cost of Cheers, which is $51.95 or $56.95 a day, depending when you buy Cheers. Based on the price and number of drinks you have per day, this can either save you money or cost you money.

For example, if you drink a total of $40 a day in drinks, you will have paid more money gratuity wise. However, if you drink a total of $100 a day in drinks, you will save money gratuity wise, assuming you don’t pay any additional gratuities, which many people do. 

7 hours ago, keith75 said:

No....they charge gratuity based on the price of the package.  Also, drinking '30 drinks a day' has nothing to do with if the package is financially viable.

For example, my thing is martinis.  If my ship has an Alchemy bar I will be there.  My last cruise my favorite dirty martini was $11, so basically $13 with gratuity.  I paid $51.95 for the package or $61.30 per day with gratuity.  So, the math says by 'break-even' was 4.7 drinks per day.  No where near needing to drink 15 drinks to 'justify the cost'.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

No....they charge gratuity based on the price of the package.  Also, drinking '30 drinks a day' has nothing to do with if the package is financially viable.

For example, my thing is martinis.  If my ship has an Alchemy bar I will be there.  My last cruise my favorite dirty martini was $11, so basically $13 with gratuity.  I paid $51.95 for the package or $61.30 per day with gratuity.  So, the math says by 'break-even' was 4.7 drinks per day.  No where near needing to drink 15 drinks to 'justify the cost'.

That is probably the biggest misconception when it comes to Cheers. You don’t have to come even close to 15 drinks a day, depending what you drink, for Cheers to be worthwhile as your example clearly shows. And that doesn’t include all the non-alcoholic drinks included with Cheers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

The question was for all adults being forced to purchase.....For example, doesn't matter how Ray gets to 61.30 per day, 4 drinks or whatever! If only one person in the cabin is nailing that mark daily it may be viable for 'that cabin' not  to purchase Cheers. 

45 minutes ago, keith75 said:

The question was for all adults being forced to purchase.....For example, doesn't matter how Ray gets to 61.30 per day, 4 drinks or whatever! If only one person in the cabin is nailing that mark daily it may be viable for 'that cabin' not  to purchase Cheers. 

You are right....but it can be determined with simple math.  Either way, it has nothing to do with '30 drinks' as you stated.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 2:42 PM, ShakyBeef said:

I think it's pretty clear Carnival knows their clientele.  Just look at CC for the proof.  Based on the inordinate number of posts on the Carnival boards (as compared to the boards of other cruise lines) bragging about cheating, smuggling, stealing, and many other forms of rule-breaking; as well as all those posts from the less experienced, but equally entitled and dishonest cheaters asking for advice and tips on how to do the same, Carnival would be foolish to trust these people.  The rule is not going to be dropped.  Nor should it be.

Uh oh, you've done it now.

2 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

Uh oh, you've done it now.

It's OK - it wouldn't be the first time.  I've done it before.:classic_dry:  I have this irritating habit of opening my mouth (keyboard) and expressing my unpopular thoughts.

• Like 3

Carnival would be dumb if they got rid of it and they know that and will never get rid of it. They are in the business to make $$$$$. 

With that said when it comes to sharing my take is simple. I understand the argument against sharing alcoholic drinks but for non alcoholic drinks come on. If a parent uses cheers to get their kid a soda or juice then who cares. No need to be the cheers police on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandomUser123 said:

Carnival would be dumb if they got rid of it and they know that and will never get rid of it. They are in the business to make $$$$$. 

With that said when it comes to sharing my take is simple. I understand the argument against sharing alcoholic drinks but for non alcoholic drinks come on. If a parent uses cheers to get their kid a soda or juice then who cares. No need to be the cheers police on that.

Carnival cares. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RandomUser123 said:

So, what you're saying is the theft of soda or juice is acceptable - only theft of alcohol is not?  Or is it that theft for the purpose of a child's enjoyment is perfectly OK, but not so for the enjoyment of an adult?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

So, what you're saying is the theft of soda or juice is acceptable - only theft of alcohol is not?  Or is it that theft for the purpose of a child's enjoyment is perfectly OK, but not so for the enjoyment of an adult?

Have I told you lately how much I admire you? :classic_biggrin:

10 minutes ago, CruisingViper said:

bo luc lac has a point.

Of course I've let my kid have the rest of a shake I couldn't finished, so I'm not claiming some high position here.

Kudos on the Tiếng Việt!  Ah, bò lúc lắc, now I'm hungry!🤤

7 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

Have I told you lately how much I admire you? :classic_biggrin:

You may have mentioned it once or twice.  Thanks.:classic_blush:

4 hours ago, RandomUser123 said:

You are bragging about stealing, it is between you (the theif) and carnival (the person you are stealing from) to worry about that, but trying to claim it is okay because it is for you kid sends the wrong message to your kid imo.  I taught my kids that theft is theft, it doesn't matter if the theft was $0.01 or $100, if you take something that is not yours, it is wrong.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1