It’s so trivial but Celebrity can no longer afford prizes for trivia.

C 2 C

My family enjoys the trivia games on Celebrity- sometimes we win & lots of times we don't. When we've won, adults have accused us of cheating. Of course we weren't but that hasn't stopped people from stating they are sure we had used phones or cheated in some other way. If eliminating prizes cuts down of poor sportsmanship, I'm for it.

• Like 1

Last cruise we would usually meet up with folk from the roll call and create a team of 6 and we did pretty well. We accumulated quite a lot of 'win' tickets but unlike others here..... the 'prizes' were rather meagre..... for our share of approx 14 tickets we just took a few packs of Celebrity cards. 

A few months ago everybody was reacting to the elimination of pencil and paper trivia on some ships worrying about a new trend or cut back.  But it seems from this thread that it is alive and well (and cheated). I may be the minority but I enjoyed the live audience-response electronic trivia game on Edge.  Probably goes too fast for cheating by goggle.   But it does have a fee (like keno and bingo).

I was on board Silhouette awhile back and some of the players complained at how hard some of the questions had been at earlier games.  So the Activities Dept. host decided to make up her own trivia questions for the next game.  Some were really silly.  One was:  What is 4 X 12?  No kidding, I'm serious!

When asked what that was about, she said she was responding to the complaint about questions being too hard so she threw in an easy one.  This was her sense of humor!

9 hours ago, mason525 said:

My family enjoys the trivia games on Celebrity- sometimes we win & lots of times we don't. When we've won, adults have accused us of cheating. Of course we weren't but that hasn't stopped people from stating they are sure we had used phones or cheated in some other way. If eliminating prizes cuts down of poor sportsmanship, I'm for it.

It won't  It doesn't really have anything to do with cheap prizes but rather ego.

Best trivia story (and one of the many reasons we quit doing it) was years ago.  There was a frequent cruiser couple who did tons of B2Bs, knew all the answers and won every single time.  Except once, for whatever reason, and we won.  The next day we were a player short on our team of 6 and a man asked if he could join.  "Of course," we said.  Played the game, lost as usual and the B2B folks won as usual.  As soon as the game was over,  our "guest player" ran over to the B2B couple to report.  They were certain we had cheated the day before and used him as a plant to try to catch us. 

• Like 1

That’s unbelievable and very disheartening. It’s awfully mean. 

Still love trivia and when you get a team of strangers whose strengths are all complementary.

Have found it funny that on a first trivia game when there’s only 2 or 3 of us, nobody wants to join our team . But when we win that game the same people seek us out next time. So funny.

Eye opening thread. Thought it was just a fun  cruise activity  Seems kind of cut throat.  And if they  cheat, they haven't really won anything. I don't get it!

Wonder if these personality types are also buffet line cutters,  and  theater/ pool seat savers?

8 minutes ago, hcat said:

Eye opening thread. Thought it was just a fun  cruise activity  Seems kind of cut throat.  And if they  cheat, they haven't really won anything. I don't get it!

Now you know why we sit way in the back in the "unofficial we're only playing for fun" section. 😎

• Like 1

Never participated in ship's trivia and don't plan to in the future. When I was a newly wed my DW and I decided to take our first trip to Florida. They had a trivia contest at our hotel and DW urged me to enter. I won the two qualifying rounds and was in the final. Won the final only to have an older "gentleman" accuse me of cheating by pushing my buzzer before the complete question was asked. Instructions included the direction to hit your buzzer when you know the answer. I imagine that the man was really upset that a young man, bested him in a knowledge game. One HD once told me that there are more problems with behavior following trivia than any other event. A one time frequent cruiser and trivia participant once told me that negative comment cards were written urging line to ban him from trivia because "he knew the answers". I guess Celebrity can restrict the number of wins by individuals, or just change the questions. To those who do participate: Have fun!

If it is anything trivial that upsets us, it's the activities staff that won't change the questions form one voyage to the next.  Two years ago we were on Eclipse for 6 weeks and the two ladies had different questions every day, morning, afternoon and pub trivia in the evening.  Best trivia experience ever.  (One is now a CD).  Both of them would patrol the floor to make sure no-one was using electronic assistance.

We find that if papers are exchanged, everyone is honest.

5 minutes ago, Arno. said:

If it is anything trivial that upsets us, it's the activities staff that won't change the questions form one voyage to the next.  Two years ago we were on Eclipse for 6 weeks and the two ladies had different questions every day, morning, afternoon and pub trivia in the evening.  Best trivia experience ever.  (One is now a CD).  Both of them would patrol the floor to make sure no-one was using electronic assistance.

We find that if papers are exchanged, everyone is honest.

Not only won't they change the questions but, as I mentioned in a previous post, the number is down to 15 questions. On our August 18 Summit cruise, you got the impression from the demeanor of the assistant CD's, even this amount was a chore they reluctantly were required to do. Especially on the last sea day when 4 sessions were scheduled.  Wish I would have looked at my watch because I am pretty sure each session didn't take more than 20 minutes of their precious time!!

on one of our first cruises with Princess, all got a ticket for participating in all kinds of activities...

if you were interested in collecting the tickets, you traded them in for some kind of memento at the end...

that satisfied all...

on Oceania it is the worst I have ever seen...many challenge the staff conducting the trivia and insist that further research be done for the answer they insist on....the debate rages for the entire cruise...

viking ocean, no prizes of any kind are given...you participate to meet others and enjoy the camaraderie...

Celebrity has a variety of methods, it is inconsistent from ship to ship and  to the whim if the activities director...

I have seen on many cruises, the same teams win  over and over again...it becomes silly , all can predetermine who will win......

but the most bizarre thing I have ever witnessed is a passenger who right after playing, will go directly to the library, with his briefcase, to study....that is intense.... 

my preference is to get a ticket for participation, that satisfies everyone...those who want a prize at the end collect them, those who dont care for it, can just enjoy the non competitive atmosphere....

and yes I have suggested this method many , many times on our Celebrity cruises...the answer I get most often will surprise you, I am usually told to participate and then come out at the end , if I wish to collect some kind of prize....

what methods do others prefer, so  the ridiculous, the laughable and the disgusting can be diminished?

My husband and I never win. We enjoy playing but sometimes we have found it hard to even join a team. We are happy if we get 1/2 right. (Maybe that’s the reason nobody wants to be on our team). On past cruises, Celebrity Activity Staff, would award winners with double signatures, and 1 signature for all participants.  On Reflection last year, the AD only signed for winners. We continued to play, but never getting a signature gets old fast. Rewarding  participation helps us losers not complain about the “trivia Cheaters”😉. Libby

13 hours ago, hcat said:

Wonder if these personality types are also buffet line cutters,  and  theater/ pool seat savers?

....and constantly complain about anything and everything.

Seriously contemplating going to a trivia for the first time next cruise just to people watch!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

We - my husband and I - like to do trivia on sea days for fun and the challenge to ourselves. The overly competitive people are boring. 

We had great fun with 2 sisters on our Azamara cruise this past spring. The contests were different than the normal ones we have been used to and were a definite challenge. We did well, I think we won a few times, but we don’t play for prizes. We are at the stage in life where we are getting rid of stuff, not looking for more 😆

I would like trivia without prizes if that would cut down on the nonsense.  I’ll be disappointed if our Equinox cruise next spring has an over abundance of these intense players. I guess we will join @Ken the cruiser and sit in the back in the “unofficial we're only playing for fun" section. 

We played trivia on our river cruise last year and they did the exchange papers thing. Problem was they didn’t say we would exchange papers and the person doing our writing only wrote keys/abbreviations so she would remember the answer. The other team couldn’t understand her code and marked the, all wrong. It was a battle!  I hope they let you know before they start because I tend to not write the answers out completely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1