Up-charge for Lobster in Chops for Star class

bburk00

I found a thread from I believe last year that stated you did not have to pay the up-charge for 1.5lb Lobster and such when staying in a Star class suite. Is that still the case? My wife wants to try Chops on our Anthem cruise but doesn't eat red meat/chicken. Also is the dining plan included with Star class different than the one you can purchase? Are there certain restaurants you can't go to with Star class dining? As mentioned I did find some threads from a year or two ago that mentioned this but things seem to change quickly on what is included and what is not.

Sailed Star on Anthem twice in 2019.....never paid for anything food related aside from the bottle of wine we drank.  We went to chops....we ordered the small seafood tower...the waiter said "just get the big one, you aren't paying for it"

Son ordered the whole lobster, no charge.

Son ordered salmon, looked at my Lamb Chops...and waiter brought him lamb chops 5 minutes later.

Went Izumi....sushi, rolls, sashimi, Ramen, Saki, Beer...all included as star, no itemization and piece meal charges

As for the MDR upcharge for Chops items on that menu....I haven't been in the MDR when sailing Star...only are specialty or Coastal so I can't comment.

Edited by dodgestang

13 minutes ago, Hammergirl said:

We were on the Harmony in March and we were never charged for anything we got in any of the restaurants. We went to CHOPS and ordered many items for dinner just to try them and it was all included.

Including the upcharge items in Chops and the MDR?

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

I do believe you pay for the snacks in Starbucks

If you're 8 and go there every day for a hot chocolate and hang out....they give 'em to you for free ;).  Although....it wasn't starbucks...it was the coffee shop on Anthem.  Also I stood in line behind another Star class person on the next to last day of the cruise....the fancy chocolate bar they keep in the cabinet that was for sale.....she had 4 bags and took them all....'as gifts to give to people' and didn't pay a cent....it seemed a little like abuse of a comp to me...but hey...everyone lives their life 😉

• Haha 1

We have been Star on Oasis and Anthem and all food was included, regardless.  Have never been charged for snacks on Anthem and Starbucks on Oasis was included except for pastries.  If a Star Class person got snacks for friends that would be a lack of honesty on their part.  I think of that as a single drink package for the family.  We have always talked to my granddaughter (12 now) about not getting things for friends when they are having fun on the ship.  Her ability to get what she wants is for her only and if we would ever discover she has used her sea pass card to get things for friends she would not be spending time with them.  Unfortunately, people are people and some get carried away with the ability to not have to worry about what something costs.

You can also get specialty restaurant food delivered to your suite and I’ve even read accounts of people having specialty restaurant food delivered elsewhere on the ship, although I have never done that myself.  There is no limit to the amount of food that you can order for delivery nor the number of people that you can serve.  That can seem like a quasi-abuse of SC benefits (if you are serving people who would otherwise not be eligible for “free” specialty dining room service) but I’ve never heard of anyone being limited as to how much food they can order nor to whom the food may be served.

We’ve been SC 6 times and the only things we have ever paid for were bottles of wine (for parties) and a $25 PP fee for the wine upgrade for Chefs Table. If you order an expensive wine by the glass you are supposed to pay for the overage but that has rarely happened for us - Only once on Anthem, as I recall. We have ordered the seafood towers and whole Maine lobster from Chops several times. It is my understanding (although I have never done it) that any upcharge item on the MDR menu would be “free” for SC.