When do Aussies go back to work in Jan?

We are arriving in Sydney on the 13th of January and are wondering if a 11.50am flight back to NZ will be too tight (due to our domestic flight in NZ if we don't make this flight we have to stay over).

A general review of the boards have suggested that this flight should be ok but my concern is the getting to the airport in time.  Our plan would be to take the train from circular quay - but it could put us on peak hour train service and my husband will be on a mobility scooter and I will need to manage the suitcases.  This wouldn't phase us if the train isn't packed....

In NZ about 50% of people will start back from Christmas holidays on the 13th and traffic / commuters tend to be very reasonable, so wondering if it will be the same in Aussie?  

We are considering using EzAir rather than booking direct because of the tight time frame - would we need to take a Princess transfer?  We have never sailed Princess before so any comments on the price of the transfer etc would be appreciated.  We don't mind paying extra to do the transfer if it makes it less stressful. 

2 hours ago, sweetp12 said:

We are arriving in Sydney on the 13th of January and are wondering if a 11.50am flight back to NZ will be too tight (due to our domestic flight in NZ if we don't make this flight we have to stay over).

A general review of the boards have suggested that this flight should be ok but my concern is the getting to the airport in time.  Our plan would be to take the train from circular quay - but it could put us on peak hour train service and my husband will be on a mobility scooter and I will need to manage the suitcases.  This wouldn't phase us if the train isn't packed....

In NZ about 50% of people will start back from Christmas holidays on the 13th and traffic / commuters tend to be very reasonable, so wondering if it will be the same in Aussie?  

We are considering using EzAir rather than booking direct because of the tight time frame - would we need to take a Princess transfer?  We have never sailed Princess before so any comments on the price of the transfer etc would be appreciated.  We don't mind paying extra to do the transfer if it makes it less stressful. 

All I can say is that 13 January will see a lot of people still on holidays, but I think you would still struggle on the train in the morning peak hour with your husband on a mobility scooter and suitcases.

I would suggest that using Princess EZ air and a Princess transfer would be your very best option if you want to make a 11.50am flight - timing would be tight but you are then putting all the onus on Princess to (get you there on time or suffer the consequences)

Recent experience with booking EZ air for us made the trans-Tasman flight $90pp cheaper than booking with AirNZ direct.

Edited to add the Princess transfer is around AU$20pp.

Edited by Belmont Babe

You can arrange an early disembarkation from the ship, but a problem I see with the Princess transfer is that you would have to wait until the coach is full before it would leave the terminal for the airport. Most people would not have a sense of urgency and I can see it taking some time while people organise their luggage, then their hand luggage and clamber on board the bus. I would normally suggest getting a taxi, but would you need a maxi taxi to accommodate your husband's mobility scooter? Can you pre-book suitable transportation? This would be more expensive than the Princess transfers, but much cheaper than staying overnight.

15 hours ago, sweetp12 said:

Hi sweept12

Guess you might be in the Ruby as we are and arrive back into Sydney on the 13th.  If so join our roll call - would love to have you join in.

Transport to the airport - my advice is book a Princess Transfer.  We did last cruise for the first time and as I am in a powerchair we were out on a mini van out to the airport - just us.   Worked wonderfully.  Will repeat.

In the past we have always got the 11.50am Air NZ flight without issue.  BUT in April the ship arrival was delayed by 5-6 hrs which caused mayhem.   Luckily for us we were picking up a wheelchair accessible rental car, so that was easy to delay.

Last cruise (arrived on 12th Jan) we booked 3.50pm Air NZ.  Got to the airport nice and early and went straight to the Koru lounge - bliss, had the place to ourselves a lot of the time.   No stress about missing the flight etc.    We are doing the same this coming cruise.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:05 PM, MicCanberra said:

I would be organising a taxi (accessible), traffic shouldn't be too bad as morning peak hours are finished. If you think you can cope with the train and handling luggage and such then the train should be fine.

I’d get a taxi too, hate trying to get on and off trains in a wheelchair.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

And a mobility scooter (gopher) would be almost as bad.

I some ways worse. A lot comes down to wheel size. And don’t start me on three wheeled scooters, couldn’t pay me to use one, they are just too unstable.