Embarkation by tender at Monte Carlo

Jay23

We have booked a cruise on Sirena from Monte Carlo, for next year,  which shows that we will be tendering from that  Port.  We have sailed from there several times but never by tender.  Can anyone tell me how that works for the guests and also how the baggage is transferred.   All seems a bit cumbersome to me.  J

This query has had over 90 views and no replies so I am assuming that no one has experienced tendering from this embarkation port.   I think this must mean tendering has not happened and will not be happening which is what I wanted to know.   The little anchor shown for  embarking in Monte Carlo is obviously an error!!!!!    J

18 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

This query has had over 90 views and no replies so I am assuming that no one has experienced tendering from this embarkation port.   I think this must mean tendering has not happened and will not be happening which is what I wanted to know.   The little anchor shown for  embarking in Monte Carlo is obviously an error!!!!!    J

Most likely an error.  Be too hard to transfer luggage off and in with a tender. 

Although this experience does not parallel exactly, our recent cruise on Riviera showed a tendered port in Kotor Montenegro.  I checked the port guide online and found that 2 other ships would be in Kotor that day with only 1 dock available.  I emailed our private guide giving him a heads up that our tour may have to start later than we thought.  His reply: "Your ship will be at the dock.  You are on the nicest ship."

Our documents never changed.  Even on board all material continued to show Kotor as a tendered port.  However, the day of arrival, the Riviera pulled in to the dock and we walked off.  

I would be most surprised if an embarkation would be handled by tender.  Maybe your TA can make an inquiry.

-Katie

I seem to remember another thread  mentioning  that  they docked  for embarkation/debarkation &  then if the ship overnighted they moved out  so then it was tendering for the 2nd day

Are you overnighting there by chance?

Talked to my cruise friend yesterday as she just did a solo around Italy on Sirena and ended up in Monte Carlo to disembark. She said they did use the dock but that another huge cruise ship was tendering in. She could tell as she got off that they were loading new supplies. She was not sure if they had to move out later as she left but they started at the dock. Hopefully that might be the case for you because as a starting point I could see getting a lot of new supplies and needing the dock space. And there is only one dock there. Julia

It may not be an error.  We were told (May 2018) that we would be tendering for boarding, which made me wonder as well just how luggage would be handled.  We were also told that our car (we were on a private tour) would have to deposit us at the gates and we'd have a long walk into the port.

Neither of these things happened.  Our car drove us right up to the ship which indeed was docked.  Earlier in the day we'd seen Riviera at anchor in the bay, so clearly space opened up for us.

They may just say it's a tender port to be safe.  If space opens up, so much the better.

Mura

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 5:19 PM, Jay23 said:

We have booked a cruise on Sirena from Monte Carlo, for next year,  which shows that we will be tendering from that  Port.  We have sailed from there several times but never by tender.  Can anyone tell me how that works for the guests and also how the baggage is transferred.   All seems a bit cumbersome to me.  J

We had an overnight in Monte Carlo on Riviera last year.  The ship tendered us to shore on day 1.  By the time we returned from our sightseeing that day, the ship was docked in town.  Our second day in Monte Carlo was turnover day, so disembarkation/embarkation was as usual ... no tenders involved.

• Like 1

We were on Marina about 4 years ago and Monte Carlo was the last port. We had an overnight in Monte Carlo and that day we were tendered into port. The following day when we disembarked we were docked and luggage was put out onto the pier.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Klaus234 said:

The port of Monaco has a spreadsheet with all arrivals for 2020 on their homepage for download (pdf or excel) - it shows if you will be docked (“Digue”) or have to tender (“Rade”):

http://www.ports-monaco.com/en/cruises.html

Thanks for the spread sheet! Looks like we Tender in on Riviera and dock on our 2nd cruise with Riviera! Perfect!!

Denise😊

• 2 weeks later...

Our paperwork listed disembarkation in Monte Carlo by tender.  It didn’t happen. We were docked.  Often a listed port is posted tender is actually docked. I have never seen the opposite. Just did Alaska cruise. Posted tender in Juneau and Ketchikan. We docked.  We were at floating docks.  Still in good locations with easy walking to town.