Laundry for lycra/spandex sportswear?

ealdridge

We're sailing on the Celebrity Edge in November - transatlantic (14 days).  We heard the Edge does NOT have a passenger laundry facility and there is NO clothesline in the shower.

Anyone have experience with the ship doing laundry for clothing items with spandex/lycra that cannot be dried in a hot dryer?  Will they wash and hang to dry for us?  What options do we have?

20 minutes ago, ealdridge said:

We're sailing on the Celebrity Edge in November - transatlantic (14 days).  We heard the Edge does NOT have a passenger laundry facility and there is NO clothesline in the shower.

Anyone have experience with the ship doing laundry for clothing items with spandex/lycra that cannot be dried in a hot dryer?  Will they wash and hang to dry for us?  What options do we have?

To be clear, there are no passenger laundry facilities on any Celebrity ships, but all have laundry and dry cleaning services available for a fee.  They typically take 24 hours with return by your stateroom attendant with the next nights' room turn down.

I would check with your stateroom attendant or guest services to confirm your specific concerns regarding your clothing items prior to using the service.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ealdridge said:

I don't believe they have the facility for special laundry handling. Laundry goes into commercial capacity washers and dryers with hot water and high heat. 

Prepare to hand wash your special care items. I bring detergent sheets (purchased at an outdoors supply store) that instantly dissolve. In a pinch I'll use the ship shampoo or body wash. To hang, I bring a couple of magnetic hooks from Home Depot and a length of twine. The magnets will stick to the walls or ceiling. I prefer to have the line in the cabin, as I  find things dry faster than in the bathroom.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ealdridge said:

Use the dry cleaning service, not much different in price then being at home. Do not use the fill the bag offer. It might be exaggerating but I believe things are washed at 1000 degrees and dried with a blow torch. happy cruising 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was on a Royal B2B for 23 days last year and brought a clothes line with clips on it, and magnetic hooks to hang it. I would hand wash and hang in cabin. You could also just bring some magnetic hooks and put on ceiling and hang on a hanger.

I wash a lot of my things on cold/gentle, so I really don’t mind doing it myself if I need to.

26 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I was on a Royal B2B for 23 days last year and brought a clothes line with clips on it, and magnetic hooks to hang it. I would hand wash and hang in cabin. You could also just bring some magnetic hooks and put on ceiling and hang on a hanger.

I wash a lot of my things on cold/gentle, so I really don’t mind doing it myself if I need to.

This has been mentioned before and I appreciate your repeating it here.  We'll get free laundry on Oceania Concierge but there are things I won't send out.  The magnetic hooks etc. are a great idea.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Use the dry cleaning service, not much different in price then being at home. Do not use the fill the bag offer. It might be exaggerating but I believe things are washed at 1000 degrees and dried with a blow torch. happy cruising 

I have toured the ships laundry before and while the process is somewhat commercial with large capacity washers and dryers, it is not quite as brutal as you sarcastically suggest.  The hottest water temperatures are with the ship's sheets and bedding, which is where you would expect it.  Passengers clothes are handled quite a be more gently as they don't want to risk complaints from passengers for mishandled clothes.  Keep in mind the crew has all of their clothes every week washed there as well.  We've not had any issues with our general clothes washed - or dry cleaned - on board in our experience.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I guess since I travel so much recently, often do two weeks and do it out of a roller-board and backpack I always go with hand wash and dry, pick stuff like  spandex/lycra and othe synthetics they dry so easily, coat hangers with a towel under neath it in bathroom our closet and they dry nicely.   Jeans/cotton and others forget it, but so many quick drying high tech wear available that packing light and easy is easy!

On 9/14/2019 at 2:25 PM, ealdridge said:

Wash them inthe sink, and figure out a way to hang them in  the cabin.

Hand wash in sink.  I carry a small bottle of Woolite.

Roll up in a towel, leave for 5 - 10 minutes.  Squeeze or twist a couple of times.

Lay out to dry.  After towel, they are pretty dry, so you can even drape over a chair arm.  Or just hand in closet, leaving the door open.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 1:35 PM, SbbquilterUT said:

I take magnets with hooks that can attach to the ceiling near the AC vent.  Wash in the shower, wring and wrap in towel then step on the towel to dry off.  Hand on hangers from ceiling, they dry much more quickly than in the bathroom.

Just bought a couple of magnetic hooks today 🙂