Celebrity no free movies in Cabin thing -

ealdridge

Does anyone know if the Cabins have DVRs with the television so we can bring movies to watch?  We're devastated that they have canceled their movie contract.  We like to watch movies in between other activities and while getting dressed.  Can only watch 10 minutes of CNN or BBC before getting sick of it but also don't want to lug a bunch of DVDs.

On Equinox two weeks ago, I feel like I saw the option for some movies on demand. But I didn't really check out if they were pay per view or free.  I don't recall seeing DVD Players.  They did however have movies on the lawn daily as well as in celebrity central cinema.   Our TV mostly stayed on the nav station, and at night Food Network or HGTV/Travel Chanel ( I can't recall if they had both or not). Overall there were not a ton of options but I wasn't disappointed in what they had. I try to be in the room as little as possible anyways. 

We have never seen DVD players on Celebrity although I have been told that they do exist in the larger suites.  Some cruise lines such as HAL do have DVD players (HAL even maintains a DVD library).   It is unlikely that Celebrity would ever include DVD players in most cabins as it undermines their own ability to raise more revenue from the sale of On Demand movies.  We have heard of some folks bringing their own DVD players or simply trying to connect a device (that has recorded movies) to the cabin TV.  Depending on the ship and cabin it may be very difficult to access the input jacks on a TV and there are also issues with not having the ability to change the TV settings so as to use other inputs/devices.

Hank

3 hours ago, ealdridge said:

Does anyone know if the Cabins have DVRs with the television so we can bring movies to watch?  We're devastated that they have canceled their movie contract.  We like to watch movies in between other activities and while getting dressed.  Can only watch 10 minutes of CNN or BBC before getting sick of it but also don't want to lug a bunch of DVDs.

We rarely turn the TV on. Instead, we book balcony cabins and watch the view pass by outside when getting ready for activities. Much more pleasant than any movie or TV show they could ever show. 

Your OP has been overtaken by events. If you had checked the X board today, you would have seen that the free movies are being reinstated due to popular demand. DVD players are not provided on Xships except for the top suites. Connecting your own devices to the TV is difficult and would require bringing your own HDMI cables and a universal remote set to the correct Samsung code  (and even then might not work).

Connecting your own device isn't that hard....We bring our Firestick (connects right to the TV) and universal remote and watch Netflix & Amazon....Google this as there are a few YouTubes that show how to do this. Also when we had trouble we mentioned it to our cabin steward and an onboard staff electrician was sent to help...he said he gets calls often for this....a nice gratuity was well worth it to us and to him...he even checked back a few days later to make sure everything was still working.

We do like to watch movies in our cabin during down times and sea days and this change will definitely cause us to look twice or more at booking with Celebrity again.  They only had about 5 free on demand movies on our cruise last year, whereas they used to have dozens.  

It's relaxing to us and we also are night owls but not party people, so watching a movie in the stateroom is something we like.  We do go to the movies in the Cinema, but one, they were shown at very odd times if you were trying to get to other shows and eat dinner and two, the seats in those theaters are really uncomfortable.  Didn't anyone try them out before they bought them?

I suppose it is all about revenue and getting people out of their cabins and spending money elsewhere; won't work with us as we don't do much else that is pay anyway.  We'll just book with someone else, which probably won't matter to Celebrity as they want the people who  spend thousands on board.

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

Connecting your own device isn't that hard....We bring our Firestick (connects right to the TV) and universal remote and watch Netflix & Amazon....Google this as there are a few YouTubes that show how to do this. Also when we had trouble we mentioned it to our cabin steward and an onboard staff electrician was sent to help...he said he gets calls often for this....a nice gratuity was well worth it to us and to him...he even checked back a few days later to make sure everything was still working.

Hello Asland,

I've tried to google for the Firestick you-tube videos on celebrity cruise ship. All that I've come up with requires adapters, and doesn't appear to be simple. Can you please give me some pointers where to look, or provide your instructions? 

Thanks! 

The new TV's on the "revolutionized" ships do not allow hooking up your own devise easily like the older TV's did/do. There is a way to do it and I have recently found instructions from another cruiser. I had my husband read it and he says he gets how to do it now. He never could figure it out when on Equinox in July. In fact the IT manager told him it couldn't be done! We will be on EQ again in a week, so we will see if my husband actually understands how this is done now!

5 hours ago, theseeker said:

I think it is outrageous that Celebrity no longer has unlimited free in-cabin movies.  Princess is really superior in this area and, overall, I think a much better cruise line. 

Did you read anything after the OP?

Just to add ‘top suites’ do not have DVD players in them. However, the guests before us in the PH on Eclipse had asked for one and the butler had ‘found one’ for them.

I wouldn’t want anyone to board expecting something that isn’t there!

• Thanks 1

For those who mentioned that you never watch TV on a cruise, just wait until you get sick. We had gotten to the point where we never turned on the television on a cruise until we were doing New England on the Summit last year and caught one of the worst cold/flu case we have ever had about a week into a 14 day cruise. Spent almost 3 full days in bed with nothing to do but watch TV. 

The movies were out for some reason and so we watched some of the worst television possible. It wasn't the content as much as the format of X trying to avoid showing the commercials that came with the shows originally (think HGTV or TNT) and replaying one part of a show over and over again. We had been on HAL about a year before and their television was wonderful. BBC nature docs while sailing through Alaska were perfect.

Jim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrKoob said:

For those who mentioned that you never watch TV on a cruise, just wait until you get sick. We had gotten to the point where we never turned on the television on a cruise until we were doing New England on the Summit last year and caught one of the worst cold/flu case we have ever had about a week into a 14 day cruise. Spent almost 3 full days in bed with nothing to do but watch TV. 

The movies were out for some reason and so we watched some of the worst television possible. It wasn't the content as much as the format of X trying to avoid showing the commercials that came with the shows originally (think HGTV or TNT) and replaying one part of a show over and over again. We had been on HAL about a year before and their television was wonderful. BBC nature docs while sailing through Alaska were perfect.

Jim

Hey, Jim!

If I posted my likes and dislikes as a guide/rule that everyone would follow, here's what your cruise would look like:

1. No production shows.🙄

2. Formal/Semi Formal dress code every night, everywhere in the ship, including the buffet, and even the gym!😎

3. No beer🍾

4. No trivia🤔

5. No short shorts or tank tops...ever!👍

6. No door decorations🤢

So you probably REALLY don't want me running things, as one of the above might be a deal breaker for you.  If some folks want decent television in their staterooms, and it's of no value to you, remember the above, pipe down and be grateful!😉

Andrew

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blazerboy said:

Hey, Jim!

If I posted my likes and dislikes as a guide/rule that everyone would follow, here's what your cruise would look like:

1. No production shows.🙄

2. Formal/Semi Formal dress code every night, everywhere in the ship, including the buffet, and even the gym!😎

3. No beer🍾

4. No trivia🤔

5. No short shorts or tank tops...ever!👍

6. No door decorations🤢

So you probably REALLY don't want me running things, as one of the above might be a deal breaker for you.  If some folks want decent television in their staterooms, and it's of no value to you, remember the above, pipe down and be grateful!😉

Andrew

Thank you so much Blazer. We needed a laugh this morning and this was it. And to be honest, except for trivia (which I can REALLY live without) I would LOVE your cruise (my tux misses me). Not sure about wearing it in the gym, my daily dry cleaning bills might kill me. 

So glad we have reconnected. Have a super day. You really improved ours.

Jim

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Thank you so much Blazer. We needed a laugh this morning and this was it. And to be honest, except for trivia (which I can REALLY live without) I would LOVE your cruise (my tux misses me). Not sure about wearing it in the gym, my daily dry cleaning bills might kill me. 

So glad we have reconnected. Have a super day. You really improved ours.

Jim

I'm sure Armani has wash-n-wear...😉

One of the reviews of the Edge said the TV’s had airplay . If you have the ultimate WiFi package do you have WiFi in your stateroom. Another review showed a Ethernet connection in a cabinet for your suggested router?? Is this provided ?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ealdridge said:

where do we find the info you are mentioning?

If you are referring to my post where I mentioned that the free movies were being reinstated, it was in this thread,  posted the same day as the first post on this thread:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2696313-free-movies-returning/?tab=comments#comment-58373553

Edited by mom says