Thomas Cook

Kendo44

From what I have read the banks have told them they need to come up with substantially more money to cover emergergencies to seal the deal,pretty sad really,we have used them quite a bit in the past & have plans for the future which,at the moment,only their flights cover,fingers crossed for them!

If they do go under, and I hope they don't, P&O will need to find a substitute pretty fast. We are flying with TC to join Oceana in a few weeks, but there are probably flights that will be affected before ours. Fingers crossed they find the money

We have 5 future cruises booked with Thomas Cook but its the people who work for them that I feel most sorry for.We might lose the discount they give us if our cruises are transferred to P and O but they will lose their jobs!!Hopefully a solution will be found because it will have an effect on lots of people.

• Like 2

You can’t see cabins etc on their site at the moment, all needs to be done by phone so obviously an issue with new bookings.

For a while there they seemed to be P&Os “bucket” shop as you could often get a deluxe cabin for the price of a standard balcony on TC which was not available booking with P&O direct.

5 hours ago, Brayman said:

A bit ironic but our local Thomas Cook shop closed earlier in the year and the premises taken over by a charity called "Going for Bust"

Have you had a delve round?  Things might halter and perk up, you never know.

Regards John

I sincerely hope that they survive.  I know they are no longer British-owned but it would be a shame to lose another grand old name disappear - let alone all the staff losing their jobs.

I think flights will be fine.  The CAA are already involved on stand-by and they were fantastic when Monarch went bust whilst I was away in Spain.  P&O might need to do a lot of leg-work but the last thing they will want to do is cancel cruises or sail half-full.

7 hours ago, MickD said:

I’m flying Caribbean in November, if they do go under I will take a nice little upgrade from premium economy to upper class on Virgin thank you very much P&O 😁

How long have you been having these strange dreams?  This is P&O we are talking about 😂

34 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I sincerely hope that they survive.  I know they are no longer British-owned but it would be a shame to lose another grand old name disappear - let alone all the staff losing their jobs.

I think flights will be fine.  The CAA are already involved on stand-by and they were fantastic when Monarch went bust whilst I was away in Spain.  P&O might need to do a lot of leg-work but the last thing they will want to do is cancel cruises or sail half-full.

The country’s oldest travel agent, it would be a shame to see it go and for all those staff as well, as you say.

Getting replacement planes will not be quite so easy now,  TUI for example are short of planes because of the 737 max issues and have pulled a lot of the Scottish routes to serve other areas so we are left with few flights here. Monarch went and now potentially Thomas Cook so 2 less charter fleets.

On the positive side the main holiday period is over so there may be more planes /seats than there would have been in July or August.

Hopefully they get funding and are safe but then there is the issue with customers being confident to make future bookings.

Jet2 seem to be doing well at the moment and are expanding. Inghams and Celebrity use them from Manchester for holidays.

Having said that it will be really sad if Thomas Cook go under. We know many good people who work for them and it would be so sad to see another traditional name go from the UK market. Keeping fingers crossed for Thomas Cook tonight.

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

The country’s oldest travel agent, it would be a shame to see it go and for all those staff as well, as you say.

Getting replacement planes will not be quite so easy now,  TUI for example are short of planes because of the 737 max issues and have pulled a lot of the Scottish routes to serve other areas so we are left with few flights here. Monarch went and now potentially Thomas Cook so 2 less charter fleets.

On the positive side the main holiday period is over so there may be more planes /seats than there would have been in July or August.

Hopefully they get funding and are safe but then there is the issue with customers being confident to make future bookings.

Hopefully they can raise the money because although ABTA and ATOL affiliated future confidence to book with them has been shaken.

• Like 1

Oh dear, thats sad news for employees and another High Street store to disappear.  

Has anyone experience of how things work if you are booked with a TA which fails?  Do we assume the booking will be taken over automatically by P&O?  

Edited by kruzseeka

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

I think flights will be fine. 

The CAA are really only bound to rescue holiday makers stranded abroad.  Future bookings with TC are of no concern to them.

Suddenly P&O,  plus various other holiday  companies, will have to find a way of flying thousands of pax to their cruises and holidays.  Not going to be easy, as there is not sufficient spare capacity in  the flight industry at present. 

1 hour ago, happy v said:

It's just been announced on Sky news that the rescue attempt has failed.

Its not been confirmed that thomas Cook will go into administration,.There are still slight possibilities that the government might step in to help.I contacted P and O earlier today and they assured me that any cruises booked through Thomas Cook would just transfer to them.More of a problem for people currently on holiday and those who have booked Thomas Cook flights independantly

7 hours ago, ann141 said:

Its not been confirmed that thomas Cook will go into administration,.There are still slight possibilities that the government might step in to help.I contacted P and O earlier today and they assured me that any cruises booked through Thomas Cook would just transfer to them.More of a problem for people currently on holiday and those who have booked Thomas Cook flights independantly

Thanks.  That's good to know.

9 hours ago, ann141 said:

I spoke to them as well and was told the same , I did try and ask if they had our deposit and they said they couldn’t get onto the account if booked through a TA but she implied it would be okay.

I guess we will just not get any discount we had with Thomas Cook. 

Just editing to say I will think twice about booking holidays too far ahead in future as you never know what might happen to companies. Although this business with Thomas Cook has been going on for ages now, came up just after we booked the new Iona cruise when they were first released, which is also why we haven’t booked any more cruises with them since. 

Edited by amajaa

Sad news. As said above it’s a shame when a name with history disappears. 

We were just wondering, following an item on tv last evening, what the position is regarding passengers who have paid a hefty deposit and have the balance due on Monday? If they withhold the balance have they lost their deposit by default or should they ‘risk’ the balance, knowing it will be covered by ABTA but they will not have access to the funds for a period of time if their holiday fails to materialise?

I don’t know. Fortunately we have never been in that situation.