What is not to miss at Horizon Court on Royal Princess?

tjcletzgo

On 9/21/2019 at 8:12 AM, Pam in CA said:

085E244F-90F1-4F19-B53B-2CF882965258.jpeg

B94DB0F4-BD3D-44E1-9A63-289F85D095DC.jpeg

695458C5-BA8D-4B44-8137-35D55B4ECE06.jpeg

DD9E8183-A4CC-4C32-8147-BDDD0681D3AB.jpeg

C332158F-2546-46AB-9D82-507A6D78A13F.jpeg

F8F847B6-080B-401B-B363-6CCC60F2FD5F.jpeg

DE18C9A7-6415-4AF5-BB1A-957950FC16EB.jpeg

0395DFC7-289D-4828-B056-0911BCC496CD.jpeg

Pam, that looks tasty and oh, so, pretty!   I wish I could eat that. I know my friends are going to love it in ..... 7 DAYS!!!!!!  And I will be happy just sitting and watching them eat all of the yummy looking desserts because we will be on the Royal Princess!

12 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Pam, that looks tasty and oh, so, pretty!   I wish I could eat that. I know my friends are going to love it in ..... 7 DAYS!!!!!!  And I will be happy just sitting and watching them eat all of the yummy looking desserts because we will be on the Royal Princess!

I create my own yummi-ness. 🙂 But I totally understand.

• Like 1

For breakfast: the Nutella bowl! No, just kidding, but home is where the Nutella is.

For breakfast I enjoyed the fresh to order omelettes. When there were lots of people, I took the waiting time for grabbing some other stuff and took it to the table. Sometimes the waiters were so attentive that they saw that I had the pick up paper for the omelette in my hand and they asked me to pick my omelette up for me. I found this really really attentive and I was always very grateful for it.

We rarely had dinner during the 16 days cruise in the buffet, but when we were up there we were amazed by the high number of fresh food and the high quality of the food. There was no particular item I can remember, because almost all of it we tried was very good - except the desserts.

As a German our understanding of of dry cake, cake with cream and so on is totally different, but we are not the target market, so we were fine with it. But there must be someone on the ship who is able to make a good, rich vanilla sauce that does not taste like water. But when we were on the ship this person must have been on vacation. So we tried tasteless bread pudding with vanilla-water several times, trying to understand this kind of food

21 hours ago, tjcletzgo said:

Tell me about the seafood extravaganza please🍤🍤🍤

Usually on the last sea day at lunch, they put out a huge, beautiful, and very popular display of seafood. If I remember correctly, it’s mainly shrimp cocktail and oysters on the half shell. There may have been hot options, too. I can’t remember. If you like shrimp, though, you’ll find the giant wok of it every day in the left side of the first station facing the front of the ship. It’s between the pasta and carvery. That’s at least current information as of my cruise last summer. 😉 I ❤️ Shrimp and had it every night!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCbmwmom said:

Can you get fried eggs at the omelet station? 

Yes, you can order fried eggs as well, but when we were on the Royal our omelets took forever to arrive, so eggs could easily be over cooked.  They tended to frown upon us waiting, but that's what I would recommend for fried eggs. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Yes, you can order fried eggs as well, but when we were on the Royal our omelets took forever to arrive, so eggs could easily be over cooked.  They tended to frown upon us waiting, but that's what I would recommend for fried eggs. 

Thank you, is the shrimp pealed?

2 minutes ago, tjcletzgo said:

Thank you, is the shrimp pealed?

I feel like the shrimp cocktail is with tail on... but can't recall other shrimp.  I am not a buffet person.  So, it's not something I frequent often

Edited by jennybenny

1 hour ago, NCbmwmom said:

Can you get fried eggs at the omelet station? 

On the Regal in April, they had a different station for the fried eggs.  It was a much faster order.  Additionally, fried eggs are set out regularly near the breakfast meats.  I had to use the station at times for an easy over.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SANDRAMARTINEZ said:

I know that it will sound strange but on the Royal the corndogs in the Kids Corner area and also available during American BBQ night used to be the best corndog I have ever eaten--fresh hand dipped corny batter with a juicy and meaty dog.  They just could not make enough for the demand.  However the last time we were on the Royal in Alaska they were using a new batter that is just plain awful and taste more like a fish fry batter than a corn-based batter and many repeat Royal cruisers were complaining and asked what had happened.  Was told that they locally supply the corndog mix so hoping that in our upcoming Mexico cruise on the Royal the batter will be different 

You will have to keep us posted!  Corn dogs are a fav of mine too! When is your Mexico Cruise?

16 hours ago, pjrockman said:

Yes, that one always perplexes me.  It’s like the canned stuff, but it appears to be housemade, since it rotates daily with pork hash and turkey hash.  I am partial to the pork one, but eat all three!

One of my favorite things to do with the Regal/Royal Horizon Buffet is when they have the thinly sliced Smoked Duck Breast in the MDR.  At some point after I eat in the MDR, I go to the buffet and they have plates of the Smoked Duck slices.  I get a couple plates and a crusty roll to make a nice sandwich for a midnight snack.  Great Stuff!  Also, when there is Ceviche in the MDR, there are several different ones available in the Horizon Court!

Mangia!  Paul 

Has anyone tried asking them to put it on the griddle and make it crisp for them . . .  wondering if they would do that?

5 hours ago, tailspintom said:

On the Regal in April, they had a different station for the fried eggs.  It was a much faster order.  Additionally, fried eggs are set out regularly near the breakfast meats.  I had to use the station at times for an easy over.

Great. We are on the Regal in September.

I was so impressed with buffets on Royal Princess on New Year 2017 cruise!

In 2006 when we first cruised with Princess we were smitten with several Seafood buffets during one week on Caribbean Princess. There were even full Alaskan crab claws split in halves! This we did not see on Royal, but amount and variety of seafood daily was amazing.

Now we are scheduled to sail on Crown Princess for new Year 2020. I know that buffets on this class of ships aren't as great as on Royal class, but is it still good? Many seafood choices? We are not planning to substitute MDR with buffet, but what about lunch?

Thank you

18 hours ago, West Coast Gal said:

Has anyone tried asking them to put it on the griddle and make it crisp for them . . .  wondering if they would do that?

You cannot crisp-up duck breast slices since it generally has no skin.  I love crispy duck and have never found it on any cruise line.

Hank

44 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I was so impressed with buffets on Royal Princess on New Year 2017 cruise!

In 2006 when we first cruised with Princess we were smitten with several Seafood buffets during one week on Caribbean Princess. There were even full Alaskan crab claws split in halves! This we did not see on Royal, but amount and variety of seafood daily was amazing.

Now we are scheduled to sail on Crown Princess for new Year 2020. I know that buffets on this class of ships aren't as great as on Royal class, but is it still good? Many seafood choices? We are not planning to substitute MDR with buffet, but what about lunch?

Thank you

Overall we prefer the Royal & Regal buffets in comparison to all the other Princess ships but the Crown is not far behind in both preparation & quality although their selections can't be a varied as the Royal class ships due to available space. We were on the Crown in Feb/Mar and are expecting it to be similar in Oct. 

We didn't care for the buffet on the CB at all and went most times to the DR which for some reason had better preparations for all their dishes. 

• Thanks 1

I just came back from the Vancouver to LA cruise and I must say that the Royal Princess buffet blew me away!

The first night, they had a design your own soup noodle bar.  The soup was flavorful and portion was perfect.  I ate a bowl even after my prime rib dinner in the MDR!

Lunch the next day had a sushi bar.  During a limited window of time, they had sliced tuna and salmon sashimi (long lineup).

I was also amazed by their asian-style bbq meats as well as their huge selection of asian dishes.  They were a hit with long lineups too.

The star dessert for me was their peanut butter chocolate cake.  It was just a random cake on the 3rd night at the buffet.  I love peanut butter so that might be why I ate 2 whole slices in one sitting and took a third slice back to my room.

Enjoy!