GEM- We exceeded Customs allowance???

Sand and Seas

Has this happened to any of you?  

On something like our 32nd cruise with NCL, ran into a strange Customs interpretation from Gem's Customer Service desk.   The two of us had just over $800 of on-board purchases.  We had a large amount of non-refundable OBC to spend, and just like our last several cruises (Bliss, Breakaway & Dawn) we bought watches, jewelry, cosmetics and a couple of T-shirts.   As a long-time married couple, we use one credit card for our on-board account and usually do all of our shopping together but use my room-charge card for the purchases on our joint on-board account.  (I'm the one that tracks all the purchases.)

Imagine our surprise when we got a phone message and later a letter from Customer Services telling us we would need to meet the Customs BP officials at 6:30 am in the Magenta dining room.    With our flight out of Boston being very late in the day, we planned to be asleep at that time and leave the room at 8:30 am. 

We went to the CS desk to check.   Two of us should be able to have up to $1600 duty free, right?  They insisted we BOTH needed to visit with CBP at 6:30 am because ONE of us had $840 in items purchased (other had zero).   We were told the person who contacted us would call us the next morning.  She called and suggested if we didn't want to be on the "Customs List" we could have the gift shop move some purchases to the others card.....but don't tell the gift shop she said that!   We explained this was the same amount we had bought on our last several cruises for the two of us and no problems.  She said "All ships are the same".   Uh no, they aren't.  Gave up after talking to her for awhile and went to the gift shop and asked them to move about $50 of purchases from my card to my spouses (again--same on-board account!).    Gift shop clerk very nicely did so.   Re-checked our bill and saw that all charges still showed up under my name (my credit card) but with a line item saying my spouses name.  Guess that worked as Customer Services desk said we were no longer on 'The List' for CBP meeting.  

When we got home I double-checked our final on-board bills from our last four cruises on Bliss, Breakaway(twice) and Dawn all in the last year.  On each of those we had used our non-refundable OBC in the same way purchasing over $800 of items and all were charged using just one of our on-board cards.   No customs letter on those cruises.   

the way how i understand it from all of my years of cruising. each person is limited to 800 dollars. for a husband and wife or whoever is in the same household it is 1600 dollars but still needs to meet the 800 per person threshold

Edited by shof515

As the saying goes "You win some you lose some".

At some point in life things that you have been doing regularly that, while not "breaking the law" can be considered "outside the law", are spotted by authorities and are checked.  Be thankful there was a way round your problem.

Also I hope lots of people read your post and benefit from your experience.

Returning to New Zealand we are allowed 3 bottles of spirits each, I always buy all 6 at one time on one card in my name!!!

• Like 2

New digital customs in place since 2018.   You mentioned Gem... was it in the New York City? When we left Escape just a month ago we went through the new face recognition customs and I believe with that came removal of the declarations form and the automatic summation of your purchases. I could be wrong of course 🙂

Edited by RareBird

The problem is the computer system says anyone over 800 is flagged. The system doesn't know you're married to your cabin mate. Nor does it know whether your cabin mate bought anything off shore. It's a simple over 800 by one person = flag. 

If you previously had over 800 of goods charged to one person and you weren't stopped it doesn't mean the system now is wrong. Just means luck was on your side then - or maybe your purchases were on things not included in the goods total like alcohol. 

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

the way how i understand it from all of my years of cruising. each person is limited to 800 dollars. for a husband and wife or whoever is in the same household it is 1600 dollars but still needs to meet the 800 per person threshold

It is 800 per person in the same family and they can be combined. It doesn't matter who technically purchased the goods. NCL was wrong in this case but it is not a battle to fight.

38 minutes ago, RareBird said:

New digital customs in place since 2018.   You mentioned Gem... was it in the New York City? When we left Escape just a month ago we went through the new face recognition customs and I believe with that came removal of the declarations form and the automatic summation of your purchases. I could be wrong of course 🙂

This was Gem from Boston.   We had the new facial recognition on our last couple of cruises earlier this year.  

19 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

The problem is the computer system says anyone over 800 is flagged. The system doesn't know you're married to your cabin mate. Nor does it know whether your cabin mate bought anything off shore. It's a simple over 800 by one person = flag. 

If you previously had over 800 of goods charged to one person and you weren't stopped it doesn't mean the system now is wrong. Just means luck was on your side then - or maybe your purchases were on things not included in the goods total like alcohol. 

They actually handed me a print out of what they had for my 'customs' list.  No alcohol on this list.... this time.

4 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

They actually handed me a print out of what they had for my 'customs' list.  No alcohol on this list.... this time.

I was referring to your previous cruises where you weren't flagged. If it was $850 but $75 was alcohol that is probably why you weren't flagged previously. 

Edited by smplybcause

5 minutes ago, zqvol said:

It is 800 per person in the same family and they can be combined. It doesn't matter who technically purchased the goods. NCL was wrong in this case but it is not a battle to fight.

Yep....I wasn't wasn't changing her mind on it.   Same type of purchases as earlier this year on my February Bliss and May Breakaway cruises.  She said 'All ships are the same'.     Easier to just put the T-shirts on my spouses account for this and future cruises😧

4 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I was referring to your previous cruises where you weren't flagged. If it was $850 but $75 was alcohol that is probably why you weren't flagged previously. 

We actually haven't bought alcohol on board for awhile now so I was just trying to explain that.   All purchases were watches, jewelry, cosmetics or T-shirts/souvenirs.  Nothing that's a special category for customs allowances.  

In the past I've just purchased everything through my account so I could keep track.  Now I'll be making sure my spouse buys his own stuff🤨

This is the first time I've ever heard of a customs limiting how much money I can spend with a cruiseline.   I've always just dealt with that stuff on the declaration card on the flight home.  But never had to be confronted while I was still able to buy a couple more sweatshirts and a watch before I pack!

14 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

This is the first time I've ever heard of a customs limiting how much money I can spend with a cruiseline.   I've always just dealt with that stuff on the declaration card on the flight home.  But never had to be confronted while I was still able to buy a couple more sweatshirts and a watch before I pack!

It's not limiting, it's just that the US only gives citizens $800 duty free per citizen upon re-entering the US. If you have more than $800 you may have to pay duty on it (technically you're supposed to, but boarder agents don't always bother with collecting). Also, OP is talking about a cruise that ends in the US -- there's no customs forms to fill out for domestic US flight home and if they bought a couple more sweatshirts and watch after getting off the ship they'd be paying US tax on it as they're in the US. 

Customs isn't limiting anything, they just want what is due if you go over the $800.00 per person limit. They seem to be eliminating the customs cards, so the software is designed to catch total purchases over $800.00. Since the total allowance is per household the software has no idea if the person in your cabin is part of your household or not. You could also have members of your household in other cabins. So the easiest thing to do is say if you spent over $800.00 you will need to see customs and prove you still meet the exemption.

37 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Your mistake is the thinking the Past means anything.   Sorry it doesn’t as mentioned tracking has become more sophisticated.   The terms are-  per person.    

Good point!   Yes, computer tracking can change things.   

Maybe this post will help some others from going through this experience🙂 

Just wonder--  If both of us had shown up to see the Customs officials  with our grand total of $840 receipts for the two of us...would they have wondered why we bothered to come?   Do you think a bunch of other cruisers showed up to see Customs and didn't need to either?

Also have to wonder if the ships computer system on the Bliss, Dawn & Breakaway also 'flagged' our account for a closer look but a more experienced ship employee could see we are a couple who would together share an allowance of up to $1600 so they didn't send us the customs notice.   

On 9/24/2019 at 11:47 AM, Sand and Seas said:

Good point!   Yes, computer tracking can change things.   

Maybe this post will help some others from going through this experience🙂 

Just wonder--  If both of us had shown up to see the Customs officials  with our grand total of $840 receipts for the two of us...would they have wondered why we bothered to come?   Do you think a bunch of other cruisers showed up to see Customs and didn't need to either?

Also have to wonder if the ships computer system on the Bliss, Dawn & Breakaway also 'flagged' our account for a closer look but a more experienced ship employee could see we are a couple who would together share an allowance of up to $1600 so they didn't send us the customs notice.   

It could just as easily be a difference in command of CBP at that port. The one only asks for a list with X and another one wants a list of anyone over $800. The rules are static, but the enforcement of it can change. 

So much of the CBP depends on the day and the person you are dealing with.  We were stopped in Houston because we exceeded the allowable purchase of rum. It took almost an hour for the agent and his assistant to figure out that I owed less than $20.00.  We missed our connector flight, it took an additional 15 minutes to find someone to make change (yeah, I paid with a $20 dollar bill). I kept saying. "keep the difference" but they would not hear of that.

anything charged to your room is noted on in-ship inventory. Pay with your charge card in the shop, don't pin it on the cabin and pay later.

On 9/23/2019 at 10:19 PM, RareBird said:

That seriously only applies to ship's purchases.  If you purchase on shore their is no digital information to report...  its somewhat silly.

If bought on board, the system flags you if you're over the duty free limits. If you purchased not on the ship, or a combo off ship and on, and are over the limits you are supposed to let customs know. The method of doing that is probably different per port - I know on one cruise you were supposed to ask for the custom form if you were over. 

I'm sure plenty don't declare when they're over the limits, but it'd be bad news if you're caught. No idea on the odds of that though.