Dress Code

rhinomike

5 hours ago, pete_coach said:

What does "he cultural practices (for lack of a better why to put it) of the locale" have to do with it? You are on a cruise ship not a country.

I can go to most restaurants in my city/country wearing short in the summer time so, I would think I could go into a main dining room on a ship in hot weather wearing the same.

Geezer Couple already explained the meaning of "locale" to be the cruise ship.

And it doesn't matter how you dress or act in the microcosm in which you live. There is more to the world than that tiny part;  customs and behavior expectations may be vastly different than "home."

8 hours ago, pete_coach said:

What does "he cultural practices (for lack of a better why to put it) of the locale" have to do with it? You are on a cruise ship not a country.

I can go to most restaurants in my city/country wearing short in the summer time so, I would think I could go into a main dining room on a ship in hot weather wearing the same.

The whole ship (including the dining rooms) are air conditioned so no need to wear shorts to the dining room at dinner.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We have seen far too many people dressed in robes the several years.  Not only are they in the Lido getting breakfast, lunch and dinner, but we have seen them sitting in the lounges getting cocktails.

4 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

... and we have also seen some in the main theater, the Piano Bar and the Crow's Nest ... :classic_ohmy: 

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

And I would add also seen in the Pinnacle Grill for the suite breakfast.  Sigh.

13 minutes ago, RuthC said:

As have I. I don't know if they have no sense, or no shame. 

It would be interesting if those who are doing this would post on this thread to tell us why.  I would love to understand their reasoning.

Some people think it's ok to wear sleepwear in public.  The type who also wear pajamas on planes.  I was just at a hotel with a breakfast spread and a whole family came through in their robes and slippers, sat at a table, and were still there when I walked through the lobby an hour later to leave.  The dad had on his undershirt and I assume just his boxers because you could see bare legs.  Thankfully the robe was tied in the front. 

2 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Some people think it's ok to wear sleepwear in public.  The type who also wear pajamas on planes.  I was just at a hotel with a breakfast spread and a whole family came through in their robes and slippers, sat at a table, and were still there when I walked through the lobby an hour later to leave.  The dad had on his undershirt and I assume just his boxers because you could see bare legs.  Thankfully the robe was tied in the front. 

About the "pajamas on planes"... in First Class, most airlines provide nice pj's for each passenger, in a choice of sizes.  Some of those are DH's favorites - but they'd become The.Most.Expensive.Pajamas if we didn't have lots of awards to apply to premium travel :classic_wink:

GC

21 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

About the "pajamas on planes"... in First Class, most airlines provide nice pj's for each passenger, in a choice of sizes. 

That of course is different than shuffling through security in your own house shoes for a three hour flight to Dallas.

19 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Even if they have a written dress code that specifies otherwise?

Really!?

To answer your question more specifically, the "culture" is the cruise ship while you are there.

It's that easy.

Just like the fanciest/fussiest restaurant in your town or in London...  you are *there*, not at home.

GC

Are you actually comparing the main dining room on the ship with "the fanciest/fussiest restaurant in your town or in London"? That is absurd.

16 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

This is a HAL forum and, as such, folks here tend to adhere to the HAL guidelines.  If you prefer the style of Celebrity or NCL (nothing wrong with that), I am sure you do not need us to tell you what to do ... 

Pretty sad when one cannot question or comment on this forum without responses like yours 😞 I certainly hopr not all onboard have your attitude,.

8 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

About the "pajamas on planes"... in First Class, most airlines provide nice pj's for each passenger, in a choice of sizes.  Some of those are DH's favorites - but they'd become The.Most.Expensive.Pajamas if we didn't have lots of awards to apply to premium travel :classic_wink:

GC

Please tell us which airline provide pajamas. We always fly first or business class and have never seen anyone wearing or gotten PJ's.

10 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Please tell us which airline provide pajamas. We always fly first or business class and have never seen anyone wearing or gotten PJ's.

Lufthansa, for one (we’ve been on).

Emirates and a lot of the Asian lines do it for 1st class.

A number of airlines now only offer business class - no first, so on those I haven’t seen the PJ’s.

21 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Are you actually comparing the main dining room on the ship with "the fanciest/fussiest restaurant in your town or in London"? That is absurd.

No, it’s not absurd.  Travel a lot?  Heard the expression “when in Rome”. That’s what GC is referring to.

You left out a key part of his quote ; “To answer your question more specifically, the "culture" is the cruise ship while you are there.”

When you are on a ship, you are in their world.  So ‘when in Rome’ or ‘when on board’ you  follow that culture dress wise.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, kazu said:

Lufthansa, for one (we’ve been on).

Emirates and a lot of the Asian lines do it for 1st class.

A number of airlines now only offer business class - no first, so on those I haven’t seen the PJ’s.

Flown on all but the Asian and have been given socks and slippers but not PJ's

One of the main reasons why, since retiring, we do far less cruising and far more land travel is because the culture on shore is so much better than the sterile environment of a Marriott like cabin on board a cruise ship.  Or a NA style hotel dining room where the quality and taste of the food often falls well short of the embellished descriptions on the MDR menu!

Who’s kidding whom?   Not knocking cruising, just the comparison between shore based culture and NA based cruise ship culture.

And yes....we travel extensively.  Currently into week four of a seven week land trip in Europe.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

Cathay Pacific

Japan Airlines

Lufthansa

We've got a little collection of them.

I think it's mostly F class now, but I've read that some airlines have or are planning to roll out pj's in Business class with more general interior changes that are coming.  I have not yet seen those myself.

Not everyone changes into them, but there are usually at least a few who do.

Since I prefer nightgowns, we've sometimes asked for both pairs in DH's size, once he realized how much he liked them (some more than others, but there is a certain similarity to the fabric in most of them).

I've read on FlyerTalk that at least one of them (CX) apparently change the button color frequently so they truly become somewhat collectible (but I have no direct evidence of whether that is a frequent occurrence).

That reminds me of the frequently changing little rubber duckies from Lufthansa's F lounges (at least in FRA and MUN) that have definitely become collectibles :classic_wink:

I suspect we'll find a few other pj's on a trip to New Zealand/Australia in several weeks.

GC

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Yes, that would be completely absurd, as is your question.:classic_wacko:

I'm obviously (or so I thought) pointing out that the expectations are different in different settings.

Lest you remain confused, I purposefully chose a *very* different "other location" for the comparison.

GC

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

It is not absurd. If a person uses an analogy, then the should stand by it and that is an absurd analogy. I am sure GC is grateful to you for stepping in.

Travel a lot? Well yes, far too much. My career in the Air Force had me all over the world and upon retirement, my Wife came with me to see that places I have been. I have followed orders my entire career, no matter how absurd they were so now, that I have a choice, I make my own decisions.

I have been on many cruises and see what I see. Perhaps if some of the HAL groupies would look over their shoulders and see other options, they may be better.

If your response is in some way an attempt to belittle, you missed the mark.

I absolutely stand by my comparison, as I explained for your benefit above.

(And yes, I appreciate that kuzu tried to explain it to you! :classic_wink: )

Different settings have different expectations of dress.

As an extreme, I suspect you may have walked around your house in your underwear, or even naked.

Does that make it acceptable (and would you really feel comfortable) doing that in an airport or, yes, a very fancy restaurant, or perhaps an amusement park, or even the local grocery store? 

Would you *really* wear shorts and a t-shirt to a very fancy restaurant when celebrating an anniversary/birthday, graduation, etc.? Do you wear that attire to work?  (Needless to say, IF your particular work environment does encourage or require that, then it's appropriate, but that further makes my case, as most offices do not.)

GC

What I want to know is why do the "sniffers" (nose up in the air) always equate wearing shorts to mean the person is automatically wearing a T-shirt and maybe a baseball hat with said shorts?  Geez.  Have you never been to a country club?   Some men actually wear very nice dress shorts (ever look at Tommy Bahama???) with those same collared shirts that men wear with their khakis and chinos.   And, they are not wearing Air Jordans, either.    Take a vacation to Phoenix or Palm Springs or Miami - lots of the high-end restaurants will be filled with men dressed that way.  

To me, it seems like a permutation on the "slobs" comments some HALers make when someone they believe isn't "making an effort" to dress as they think they should. 

That said - to the OP:  As nice as many men look in dress shorts, HAL does not want you to wear them at dinner in the MDR.  Take one pair of khakis or chinos and put them on for the hour or two that you are in the MDR.  Then, change back to your shorts and you will look most chic and appropriately dressed.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

What I want to know is why do the "sniffers" (nose up in the air) always equate wearing shorts to mean the person is automatically wearing a T-shirt and maybe a baseball hat with said shorts?  Geez.  Have you never been to a country club?   Some men actually wear very nice dress shorts (ever look at Tommy Bahama???) with those same collared shirts that men wear with their khakis and chinos.   And, they are not wearing Air Jordans, either.    Take a vacation to Phoenix or Palm Springs or Miami - lots of the high-end restaurants will be filled with men dressed that way.  

To me, it seems like a permutation on the "slobs" comments some HALers make when someone they believe isn't "making an effort" to dress as they think they should. 

That said - to the OP:  As nice as many men look in dress shorts, HAL does not want you to wear them at dinner in the MDR.  Take one pair of khakis or chinos and put them on for the hour or two that you are in the MDR.  Then, change back to your shorts and you will look most chic and appropriately dressed.   

To answer your question, which is certainly phrased well and appropriately, about why we are referring to "t-shirts" here, it is because of what the OP himself posted (see post #7):

"In the main dining room for dinner we wear nice shorts and a T-shirt."

So that is what we focused on.

That discussion was not about the quite different situation you are describing... and note that your scenario includes both the combo of the "nicer short" and collared shirts, plus a country club setting where that does seem to be considered appropriate.  That is very different from a location where the standards include a specific statement NOT to wear shorts to dinner, plus TO wear a collared shirt, which a t-shirt is *not*).

GC

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

To answer your question, which is certainly phrased well and appropriately, about why we are referring to "t-shirts" here, it is because of what the OP himself posted (see post #7):

"In the main dining room for dinner we wear nice shorts and a T-shirt."

So that is what we focused on.

That discussion was not about the quite different situation you are describing... and note that your scenario includes both the combo of the "nicer short" and collared shirts, plus a country club setting where that does seem to be considered appropriate.  That is very different from a location where the standards include a specific statement NOT to wear shorts to dinner, plus TO wear a collared shirt, which a t-shirt is *not*).

GC

Apparently you have not been around the golf scene where there are indeed T-shirts that have a collar which the PGA considers a collar....  Someone brought up the baseball hat - I was responding to that one.   If the OP shows up dressed as they dress at home when going out, it is their prerogative and their chance to be asked to change.   Do not like it?  Write to HAL, complain to the bouncer at the door.  But, if someone shows up and is allowed in, just don't look... 

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kazu said:

No, it’s not absurd.  Travel a lot?  Heard the expression “when in Rome”. That’s what GC is referring to.

You left out a key part of his quote ; “To answer your question more specifically, the "culture" is the cruise ship while you are there.”

When you are on a ship, you are in their world.  So ‘when in Rome’ or ‘when on board’ you  follow that culture dress wise.  

Why, then, do I see people getting off the ship in Civi dressed in shorts and T-shirts (and females in tank tops) on their way to Rome? Why do these same people get pissed off when they can't get into the Vatican because they have on shorts or tank tops? Apparently, they don't subscribe to the "when in Rome"...  

The "culture" on a ship is changing.  Someone was asking about if what he normally wears out is OK and he gets bashed.   It's the 2010s (soon to be 2020s), not the 1970s.  Things change rapidly.  It's not inappropriate to ask about clothes.  Even on different ships within the same line, things are "enforced" differently.  Blame the line.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1