The Wake Show

esstheman

Having been on any number of Princess cruises, the one thing that usually adds to the experience is the daily, oft-rerun Wake Show, the early morning preview of the day ahead on board our temporary home away from home.  Usually, it's a sign of how well the CD does his job if the Wake Show is actually entertaining, something more than whether he or she is just mono-tonally reading the Patter or if there is some sense of enthusiasm and wit.  IMHO, the best I've seen was the "Frankie and Johnny Show" when I went on the Millennium Cruise to Australia in 1999 on the Sky Princess, but alas, John Lawrence has retired...anyways, who does the best Wake Show now?  Who does the absolute worst, a show so bad that one would rather remain in the cabin all day then venture out and do any of the activities the CD has uninspiringly recited for a half hour?

21 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Miss P22:  Try this:  Don't turn the TV on and you will be spared all of the ads.  I don't think I turned the TV on even once on my last three cruises.  

Oh I do bypass it all the time. 

I rather listen to the repetitive news than the Wake Show. :classic_wacko:

4 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

While I’m not a regular viewer of the Wake Show(I couldn’t have told you the name), if they do something other than read the Patter, I can appreciate the attempt.

I can read the Patter on my own. 

They introduce people to the heads of all the departments so they cab explain what they have to offer.....like the spa, restaurants, tours, etc.

Just another Princess add to lure some people.

And at the same time all I read on this board are people complaining about getting to many add's from Princess. :classic_laugh:

Not sure if he's still a CD, but Kelvin Joy did a pretty good Wake Show back in 2016 on the Emerald Princess.  I think the key is that he had a pretty good ED who appeared with him on all the shows and played a good straight woman to his gags.

The Wake Show like every other thing done on a cruise, is there for those that want it and those that don't can choose to do something else.  Personally in 25 cruises I've probably seen a grand total of 5 minutes of it.  But it's my choice not to watch it.  However there are many that like it.  Just like I don't like the bargain shopping on the ship but others do.  I don't like Bingo but others do.  To each their own.  No need to criticize anyone for what they do on a ship unless they cross the boundary of common sense, decency and courtesy.

• Like 2

honestly, i know i've seen it, and i know i've lauged, but i can't say any of them have made an impression on me.  the only cruise director that made an impression was one on carnival.  and it wasn't a great impression, he signed off every one of his announcements with "bye...i said bye"  or something similar and it was so annoying.

Edited by vampiress

We turn it on.  We enjoy Matt O’s show especially with his assistant.  They are good together.  I forget her name and DW is sleeping.  She knows her name.  However we also enjoy Martyn Moss’ show.  

In any event, we enjoyed the Wake Show much more when the first airing was Live in the morning.  It was more spontaneous and funny.  Now they tape it the afternoon or night before and we find that it is more scripted.

Just my opinion.  Safe Journeys, Paul

I usually check it out. We've never sailed with Matt O as CD but did sail with him as assistant CD and, at that time, I told him he was destined to be a great CD. Seems I was right. We've sailed with CDs who had a great Wake Show and others who were totally pathetic. I remember Peter Tredgett had a great Wake Show. He's a bit of a goofball and that's what makes him a good CD with a good Wake Show. Dave Clark had a good Wake Show. Steve Campbell... Totally sucked. We actually had one CD who made Mr. Campbell look good but I can't remember his name at the moment. I know I posted here a few times about how totally abysmal he was. Fortunately, he no longer works for Princess. Most CDs have had a pretty mediocre Wake Show but a few have been quite good and had great Wake Show Trivia.

Edited by Thrak

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

I usually check it out. We've never sailed with Matt O as CD but did sail with him as assistant CD and, at that time, I told him he was destined to be a great CD. Seems I was right. We've sailed with CDs who had a great Wake Show and others who were totally pathetic. I remember Peter Tredgett had a great Wake Show. He's a bit of a goofball and that's what makes him a good CD with a good Wake Show. Dave Clark had a good Wake Show. Steve Campbell... Totally sucked. We actually had one CD who made Mr. Campbell look good but I can't remember his name at the moment. I know I posted here a few times about how totally abysmal he was. Fortunately, he no longer works for Princess. Most CDs have had a pretty mediocre Wake Show but a few have been quite good and had great Wake Show Trivia.

I sailed with Matt O on the Royal.  Friendly, high energy, inclusive and very visible !

Sali

7 hours ago, pjrockman said:

In any event, we enjoyed the Wake Show much more when the first airing was Live in the morning.  It was more spontaneous and funny.  Now they tape it the afternoon or night before and we find that it is more scripted.

spot on ...

Having the "question of the day" is what will be the deciding factor if I watch it or not.  We are just off the Regal and Lexi, our CD, didn't do the question.  Didn't watch it.  Frank (CD on the Pacific) could be the worst.  Steve Campbell was also bad.  Kelvin Joy, now a ED, was excellent as is Paul Chandler Burns.  Hoping that Alexander, our CD on our upcoming Sky cruise has a good Wake Show.   

On 9/30/2019 at 1:04 PM, idahospud said:

The best Wake Show is done by Matt O'. No one even comes close. He's highly entertaining and engaging, just like he is around the ship. He's currently on the Royal Princess.

Agreed

He was on our 7 week 49 day cruise around South America earlier this year and we loved him

Howard