Over-the-door shoe organizer

amyj23

So I've been using an over-the-door shoe organizer on all our cruises, but there was one problem that's sort of annoyed me. I wondered if anyone else has this problem. And if you DON'T, can you please tell me the exact organizer that you have and where you got it? So the hooks that came with it, although not especially thick, keep the closet door from completely closing. And the organizer hanger on the far side by the closet hinge will move around and then slide and fall down which is also annoying. I'd love to hear models where this did not happen. You can't tell from a picture on a website if a hook will be thin enough to allow the closet door too close. I'd prefer someone to just tell me what they have that works. Thanks!

I got ours at Target.  The hangers are relatively thin and are not rounded. They are flat and squared off.  We do not have the problem of it slipping out of place and the closet door shuts fine.  I am sorry I do not have the brand.  I bought it several years ago.

Ours was purchased from Walmart years ago.  We too put it outside the bathroom door, our hooks are a flat style.  Our last cruise was on Celebrity, where it wouldn’t let the bathroom door close, so I had to put it inside the clothes closet. (Which wasn’t great, but better than not having it).

We use the over-the-door organizer as well & bought some heavy duty magnetic hooks that we use.  That way we can position it just below the robe hooks on inside of the bathroom door.

Edited by FLCruise7

How many pairs of shoes do you lot take on holiday?

And how many cases do you need?

I take one pair of shoes and the trainers I travel in.

My wife probably takes three pairs. Maybe 4 if she sneaks one in my case.

Not sure whats that complicated about shoes that they need organising either.

• Like 1

I should also maybe point out that my clothes only leave the case if I decide to wear them.

I cant be doing with all that pointless unpacking, hanging up clothes, and then repacking again 7-10 days later.

As soon as my case is in the room I am on holiday, and its time to drink beer, relax, and enjoy. No time for tidying up, sorting out clothes and all thise types of shenanigans.

It’s not about the shoes really

it is all about the other items you can hold in it 

We always take one if we are sailing 10 days or more ☺️
We always offer it to our cabin attendant at the end of our cruise and have never taken one home

Edited by janetz

After ditching ours with the annoying metal hooks which were forever getting lost or slipping out, I was able to find one at our local Dollar store that came with a built in, wide, very flat hanger. Perfect for the newer Princess ships we sail that have a large, sturdy metal hook on the wall behind the entry door. Can also be hung in the closet.

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

How many pairs of shoes do you lot take on holiday?

Spoken like a man. Lol. Our OTDSH holds everything BUT shoes. They're really good for corralling and organizing all those items that might otherwise be cluttering the cabin. And they're easier to find.

30 minutes ago, mom says said:

Spoken like a man. Lol. Our OTDSH holds everything BUT shoes. They're really good for corralling and organizing all those items that might otherwise be cluttering the cabin. And they're easier to find.

Please give some examples as inspiration 🙂

I should have forbidden men from this thread. 🙄 (Forgive me if any of you with useful advice are men.) I have never put shoes or clothes in my organizer. I put all kinds of odds and ends in the pockets along with my hairdryer, flat iron, old fun times, etc. 

I'm going to look at the Dollar Tree for the one mentioned above, otherwise I think the 3M Command strip trick may be the solution!

We'll be on a 14 day cruise so yes, we unpack, settle in, and I try to keep things organized in such a small space. And I have plenty of time to drink a lot of beer 🍻 when I'm done. If you think this is shenanigans, not sure why you're even on this thread.... Thanks to those of you who gave me useful advice!

Just now, Husky61 said:

We never take an organizer for anything.  We don't take enough shoes to use it and don't carry anything else onboard except ourselves and our clothes.

For about the third or fourth time. We're not using it for shoes. And if you don't use one, AGAIN, why are you on this thread?? I'm asking for solutions. Not personal commentary about how you don't use one. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, amyj23 said:

For about the third or fourth time. We're not using it for shoes. And if you don't use one, AGAIN, why are you on this thread?? I'm asking for solutions. Not personal commentary about how you don't use one. 

And I was sincerely asking for examples.  I think it's a terrific idea.

1 minute ago, clo said:

And I was sincerely asking for examples.  I think it's a terrific idea.

Oh yes! I knew you were serious! Besides what I listed, it's great for small items that I didn't need all the time. Oh! I also put my hairbrushes, my jewelry pouch... It's been two years so that's all I can remember. If you go to YouTube, you'll see all sorts of videos about using them to organize. Seriously, you can find a YouTube video on every subject. LOL

If the hook isn’t working for you and you want to hang it on the outside of the bathroom door——loop a piece of string in the hook and loop/tie the other ends over the door and attach to the hook on the inside. Piece of string takes up much less space/weight than command or magnets.

Store sunglasses, sunscreen, camera, S&S card

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, amyj23 said:

YouTube video on every subject.

Ain't it the truth!  Thanks.

Someone here mentioned leaving it at the end of the trip.  I suppose if it were super cheap I'd consider that.

16 minutes ago, amyj23 said:

We also don’t use ours for shoes Plenty of room on the closet floor for our shoes We find our OTDSH so helpful to store all kinds of items in one place Love the suggestions here on different styles and types We hang ours on the outside of the bathroom door Haven’t yet been on a ship when we could not do that but it sounds like there are some where we could not Interested to know which ships that would be. NCL? First cruise on NCL next May.